... is not A Valid ProShow File.

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
ufoofu

... is not A Valid ProShow File.

Postby ufoofu » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:40 pm

I had to re-installing Gold but I luckily kept a backup of all my psh files and their associated files used to produce the shows I had made. However, now when I try to open these psh files I get a message:

"... is not a valid ProShow File" and "The file you have tried to open is not a show file. This function opens files (*.psh) only.

But the files are psh files and worked fine before I had to re-install Gold. I have no problem creating and opening NEW psh files but all those I created before re-installing Gold will NOT open.

How do I resolve this? I can not redo all my psh shows that took months to create. Please help!!!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: ... is not A Valid ProShow File.

Postby briancbb » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:26 am

Have you by any chance gone backwards in version number? PSH files do not appear to be version backwards compatable.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:23 am

It seems to me that if it is a version problem, you get a different error message about incompatible versions or something. How are you trying to open the .psh file ? Are you double clicking it or using the file -> open from the menu once you have Gold open ? Can you open Gold and create a simple test show (just a couple of slides and audio), save it and re-open it again ?? More coffee is required ... that is all that comes to mind right off hand.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ufoofu

Postby ufoofu » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks guys,

To answer all your trouble shooting questions:
No I have not changed versions. I am using the same version: Gold 4.0.2479
Yes, I have tried to open my psh files both way, by double clicking them and from within Proshow Gold using file, open etc.
Yes I can create a new simple psh project file that will open fine.

It does not make sense why my previous psh files now give this not compatable error and do not open. All I did is reinstall Windows XP and Proshow Gold and transfered all my Gold files to the new drive. Could this effect properly registering of the psh files made prior to reinstalling Windows XP and Proshow Gold?

Please keep trying to help me figure this out. I have months of too many projects I have already made and can not redo all of them.

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:44 pm

Two things come to mind -
1)something has corrupted the files - the psh files are simply text files - you can open them with a text editor. take a look at one and see if you can see what is going on with the file.
2) it could possibly be a protection issue where you don't have the correct rights to the file - I would expect a different error message, but Proshow is a bit short on the quality of their error handling ... try making a copy of one that will not open and see if you can open the copy.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby AMD » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:11 am

I am having major computer issues (crashing, blue screen--don't think related to Producer) but which is "consistently inconsistent" and does not seem to be within the realm of repairing. Within the last two days have gotten the same message regarding the invalid file. I had luck, so far, going to a backup copy. Obviously, one of these major blue screen crashes corrupted my file. I just renamed one of the latest backups and it opened fine. Perhaps this will work for you; surely hope so.

Ann

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:28 am

Ann (and others) - if you are having strange crashes etc that have become more common without you having added anything to the system, you might want to pop the cover off and check inside - overheating can cause all sorts of strange crashes and it is amazing how much dust,hair,lint etc I have found in systems in the past - especially down in the cooling fins/fan for the cpu and video cards. You also might want to run a memory test on the system to see if it finds anything - there are several free utilities out there you can get to test the memory for errors.

mikey

mschiffy

Postby mschiffy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:33 pm

I am having the same problem with producer. Installed a new version on a different computer and try loading files from an earlier version on a different computer, and I get the same message. The file opens fine in the earlier verision that was updated.

I will try looking at the file. I tried to save in the old version using a new name, will not open in new version. :x

I solved the problem. Check the file with notepad. I found the path to the combined files was wrong. I recommend you create a new show with a couple of slide, save it and open that file in notepad and compare the text. In my case with a new version, I found the starting line was different than the old version. Once I made the changes, it loaded.

Hope that helps.

denimcc

Postby denimcc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:51 am

Hey friends, I´ve de same problem and suddenly I have the idea to "execute as administrator" clicking with the right button of the mouse when open the program. It worked!!!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting