i5 vs i7 timing problems

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

i5 vs i7 timing problems

Postby JARHTMD » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 pm

I have a very OLD version (3.2) of ProShowGold, which I use only once a year, sometimes not at all. Therefore, it makes no sense (to me) to upgrade. I never do anything fancy; just very basic stuff. In fact, I most often use my own workarounds just to keep things simple.

I have an executable (.exe) that I created on my i5 Windows10 desktop computer. It consist largely of quick sequences of images with a shudder clicking sound for each image. When I run the same .exe on my i7 Windows10 laptop, the timing is off slightly; but very noticeably. By same exe, I mean exactly the same; whether run from a thumb drive; copied (via thumb) from desktop to laptop; or even saving the file on OneDrive (cloud accessible) to both computers.

It seem to me that the processor speed of the computer shouldn't affect the timing of the show. Isn't that one of the reasons for making exe or other output files? So it will run (the same) on any PC or other device?

Specifically, my show consists almost entirely of several sequences of (0.3" image, with click, followed by 0.1" transition), followed by another (0.3" image, with click, followed by 0.1" transition), etc, etc, etc. This sequence is repeated many times throughout the show . . . varying from 6 to 24 images/clicks at a time. When run on the i7 computer, the clicking doesn't start as it should with the 1st image of the sequence & end with the last as it does on the originating i5 computer. It starts on the 2nd image, clicks on each image (2 thru n) & clicks again after the last image in the sequence. In other words, 0.3" or 0.4" late. That is repeated for each sequence.

If the problem is that 0.3" + 0.1" timing on an i5 computer is not the same as on an I7 computer, why isn't the timing early/faster on the faster i7 computer? Why doesn't the "error" get worse and accumulate, depending on the number of images in the sequence or the entire show?

The clicking sounds are via .wav files (6 Nikon Clicks.wav, 8 Nikon Clicks.wav, etc, . . . 24 Nikon Clicks.wav).

I sent the show & explanation to Photodex, who suggested trying video output instead of exe and/or try the latest trial version.

I installed my old PSG 3.2 version on the i7 laptop . . . yes, I still have that old installation software. I copied my "file collection" folders to the laptop. I know nothing about video files, but tried creating several different (I thought) video output files. Turns out they all were exactly the same file size & none worked properly.

Then I tried playing the (virgin) psh file w/o creating any output . . . same timing problem.

Will my psh file work properly if I d/l & install the latest PSG?

I hope my explanation makes sense.
Canon EOS 40D, 20D, 60D; Photoshop CS3; PSG 3.2(build 2047)

Esteemed Member

Re: i5 vs i7 timing problems

Postby Marie78 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 am

Hello

Have you tried to output the exe with proshow installed on the Win10 PC to compare ?
Chris Marie

Postby JARHTMD » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 am

Both computers are Win10 . . . i7 processors are later/faster hardware.

Yes, I've tried creating output on the i7 (which is the newest & the "problem" computer). I've even tried running the psh file (with other "collected" files) on the i7 computer. Same timing error!

I downloaded/installed the latest ProshowGold "trial" version 9 from Photodex, who assured me that my psh file from the old version would work with the latest version.

I again tried running the psh file . . . Same timing error!

There's no need to create output (of any type) if the psh doesn't run correctly.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Hello

Did you save the psh before running ?

I sometimes noticed that the psh running is slightly different of the output but I do not output exe...

Anyway, I do not think this is due to the processor. I rather think about a sound driver not correct.

I would send a message to Photodex, in case other people encounted the same problem
Chris Marie

Postby JARHTMD » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 pm

The show was completed and shown for its main purpose several months ago. At that time, I created it on my i5 desktop computer; collected & copied all the files (files/collect show files); put all that on a dvd & gave to a "coordinator" who put together a presentation of multiple individual shows created by several people. There were no problems. Everything worked fine.

I always create an exe of my finished show. I decided to copy that exe to my i7 laptop computer, so I would have it, just in case, I ever want to show it to someone at work, traveling, etc. That's when I discovered the timing problem.

My show is 5'08" and has 344 jpg files. 17 wav audio files (they are the ones that are problematic) and 1 mp3 audio file that runs the length of the show.

Obviously, that was a lot of work to put together. I'm certainly not going to start from scratch to build it again.

If I can't make it work on the laptop, I guess I'll just give up on that idea.

I uploaded (Help/Send Problem Report) the show to Photodex, who suggested creating video output instead of exe. OR d/l the latest (trial) version. Photodex assured me that psh files are upward compatable, but using the latest (v9) my existing psh still has the timing problem. Obviously, any type output will have a problem if the psh file has a problem.

Photodex's latest words were "have a nice day" & "status: closed".

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 am

Hello

I never suggested "to start from scratch to build it again".

I only suggested to check your audio driver... I saw many shows in contest : all were created on different sort of computers with different kinds of processors and I am sure the problem is not the processor.

Also try to disconnect your PC from the web and stop the anti-virus. Exe are scanned by anti-virus and this may have consequences

You may also try to build a short show to verify if this produces the same problem...
Chris Marie

Postby JARHTMD » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi Chris,

1st I want to apologize for my appearance of arguing with you about starting over from scratch etc; just my frustration showing. I appreciate your interest & suggestions.

How do I check my audio driver? It seems logical (to me) if 1 of the computers has a "bad" audio driver, it would be the older i5 on which the show was originally developed. The laptop is just a few months old & I assume all components are latest & greatest (within my budget). My show, as originally created, played fine when submitted & combined with other submissions. I did learn today however that the "combined" presentation was done using Producer . . . I don't know which version, but surely fairly recent. Of course, that's mixing apples & oranges.

I really don't want to spend an enormous amount of time on this. I have other fish to fry. But this keeps bugging me & drawing me back.

Jim

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi

Even with a very new computer, you may have a driver not corresponding to the hardware (component) : Microsoft installs its own driver most of the time but the component builder may have another one.

The sound part is the one where Micrsoft often have problem with...

If the show is not confidential you may try to ask friends to test it on their own computer...
Chris Marie

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting