Tribute

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Tribute

Postby alcain » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi folks. I've done a few silly shows lately and didn't want you to think I'd forgotten about the more serious side of things.
For your review, I have a Tribute Show which features some very special groups located in Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and North Carolina. You will see what these groups are all about in my show. I am the official Princess Anne High School Marching Cavaliers Photographer. Each year, bands from the above states compete in competitions in the listed states. Princess Anne High School hosts the Cavalier Classic each year as part of the competition process. The reason for this show is because I was so impressed with the attitude and dedication of these 15 through 18 year old kids to thier respective units. It was refreshing to see, so I have created this dedication and will send a copy to each of the competing band directors.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 3547&alb=0

I don't usually become emotional when viewing shows, especially my own. But I almost get a tear in my eye when I watch this one. Maybe because I know a lot of these kids, maybe because of what they have become.

The music is played by the United States Army Band.

Blessings, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Tribute

Postby Jerry Cole » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:05 pm

Al,
Very fine. As usual your photos are very appealing. As you know I like saturation. Sometimes its difficult to keep throughout but these are mighty fine. Nice music choice for a tribute.

I do have one very MAJOR criticism of the show. Not enough shots of the Trombones ... the very heart and soul of the band!
But I won't keep drumming on this cause I thought the show was great.
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

vciro

Postby vciro » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:35 pm

Great Show, Al!
I played the Baritone and Saprano horn for 14 years in a Drum and Bugle Corps (many years ago) and my future wife (though I didn't know it at the time) was in the color guard. We loved every minute of it. As you have captured, it's a lot of long hours, hard work, dedication....but more than worth the effort. It builds teamwork and esprit de corps and those kids will remember it for the rest of their lives.

Thanks very much for sharing this.

Postby debngar » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Al, that was a beautiful, moving tribute with a fine choice of music to go with the images. They will adore the show.

Perhaps you could call it "Band of Brothers (and Sisters too)" :)

Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:45 pm

Your show serves to remind all of us who are buried in another sort of competition--that of the news networks to beat one another out for the worst news story. After a while, it isn't easy to believe there's anything good left anywhere, but it's a false impression. Kids like the ones in your photographs are growing up to be part of just more good news that doesn't get reported...except now and then such as in your show.

Good one.

Barbara

Very Nice!

Postby SandyB » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:43 pm

Al,
The show spotlighted the values as the words appeared on the screen. Inspiring!
You captured the band members looking intent and focused - values that I assume got them to the competition.
What a wonderful tribute you created for the bands and their directors.
I hope they invite you to the presentation of the show or at least let you know how much it meant to them.
Great job!
Sandy
Connecting Who You Are With What You Love To Do

Great show

Postby newtcruiser » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Al,

Your show was beautiful and very moving.. . . . what a great tribute. I am sure they will all love it. Quite an inspiration.

Linda :lol:

Thank you

Postby alcain » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:48 am

Jerry - You are right about the saturation. The colors were good that day. In the evening, I was not allowed to use a flash, so I set up my tripod on the 35 yard line and set my iso for 1600 and hoped for the best. I did a little PP such as a bit of noise reduction and yes, I did boost the saturation by about 18% on a lot of the images. Sorry about the trombones - there was only one band that had them. In my day - there were always at least twelve trombones in every band. In Virginia, we use the mellophone instead? They play the trombone only in concert season?? Odd way of doing things.

Vciro - Thank you. Yes it is long hours. Practice sometimes (in the summer) was from 9am until 9pm to learn the basics and set the show. Teamwork? - try saying anything negative about any one in that band... you'll get about two dozen kids attacking you with brass instruments and drum sticks!

Debbie - As usual, it took me over three hours to find the piece of music that I wanted for my show. I am a stickler about soundtracks. I truly believe that they make or break a show. The piece I used was written by John Williams as a tribute to all those who've fallen in past wars. this song is also found in the oscar award winner 'saving private ryan'. This version was played by the US Army Band. If you ever need good band music for a show, Goose Creek Bands has the best selection. You can visit them here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=509415

Barbara - So true. Only the bad gets reported. These kids deserve recognition for all that they do.

Sandy - Those values are a reflection of these kids. The last photograph (darkened) is of them in "circle". They all form a circle and huddle together after each practice and go over values and posative comments. It is so awesome.

Linda - I took over 1017 photos that day. It was hard to single out just enough for a six minute show. There were lots of the kids smiling and having fun, but I chose the 'serious' expressions for this style of show.

Thank you all again.

~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby czali » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:11 am

Al,

That was so peaceful. I feel like I was watching a special on television. Great work!

Colleen

Postby HunnyB » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:10 am

Everything about the show was great.
I bet the parents would love to "purchase" a copy.
You da man!!!

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby alcain » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:28 am

I bet the parents would love to "purchase" a copy.

HunnyB,

In a way, they will. As the FMC Photographer, I have exclusivity rights to photographing anything FMC - Still photographs only (we also have a staff videographer). Each year, I take the band portraits (individual and group) as well as the thousands I take during practices and shows. In January of each year, I produce a FMC Portrait CD/DVD. It contains all of the kids portraits (I retouch them, of course!), a vast collection of my best photographs from the season, as well as at least 3 video slideshows. I have finished the Band Camp slideshow, and now the Tribute show. All I have left is the "Friends" show that I do each year. I sell my portrait CD/DVD for only $18 (There are 120 lids) and the videographer sells his for $35. But the bonuses are that I also take all of the Seniors portraits, and also sell an 8X10 framed group band portrait for extra $. If there are any of you who would like extra income and have fun doing it (I spend all of my FMC money on new equiptment), contacy tour local band director - they would LOVE to have a professional photographer documenting thier band.

Blessings, ~al

Postby nannybear » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:55 pm

Excellent photos Al, and what a wonderful show. the kids do need recognition. The small town I work in, Ladysmith, has some of the most hard working, respectful kids I have ever met. It so great to see. Awesome Job!! hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback