New Show: Church's 150th Anniversary

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
vciro

New Show: Church's 150th Anniversary

Postby vciro » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:15 pm

This is about a 10 min show I just finished for my church's 150th anniversary. The church is located in a town called Seaford on Long Island, NY. Source material was extremely skimpy and in very poor shape consisting mostly of very old photos, newspaper clippings, etc.

Thanks to the info from this site (e.g. your tips & tricks and sample shows) as well as tutorials from Jennifer (VidQueen) and others, I did what I could to make it as interesting as possible. Keyframes, caption motion, and some sounds and music hopefully will make it enjoyable for our church members. I will be giving out DVDs shortly.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 2664&alb=0

lisco

Postby lisco » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:19 pm

Vinny-

Congratulations on the first 150 years! I thought it was very interesting that you presented "ALL" history and not just the history of the church. Nice music and photos. I loved the old pictures of the roads how they were at the turn of the century. It appears that a lot of work went into making this show.

I do have a couple of things that caught my eye. Your captions would fade in with the music and cut out. To me the cut didn't seem to fit the music or mood of the show. Maybe a fade out. The list of pastors, at the end, seemed to move a little fast. Of course I'm getting older and my eyes don't work as well, so it just may be me.

All in all, I think you did a great job. I'm sure that everyone at the church will love what you have done to honor this anniversary.

Just my 3 cents.

Scott

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

From a fellow United Methodist

Postby alcain » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Nice show. I too, create shows for my church. I recently did a 50th anniversary show (we are 100 years behind you!). I know how difficult it is to obtain meaningful photos, most churches do not have great archives of photos and historical data. The music was relaxing and pleasant to listen to, but I might have done more crossfading from song to song clip. Maybe just a touch too much zoom and pan. Also, maybe there is a better way to differentiate between world historical events and church events (Maybe the world events inside a frame, or other distinguishing feature...). I liked the photos near the ending - nice and sharp and full of detail and color. I especially liked the ending quote.

Here is a link to our 53rd anniversary show...

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 6710&alb=0 Main show with history, etc.
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 6705&alb=0 Show featuring our members.

This show was done when I was new to Producer (I used PSG) and I had an old dinosaur computer. Therefore it was uploaded in two parts due to the limitations of my system (and knowledge).

Blessings, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

vciro

Postby vciro » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:37 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I really struggled with this one.

Al,
I like that idea about differentiating with a common format or frame for the historical slides. Thanks.
By the way, did you notice what the "Baby" on the last slide was playing with? I didn't see it myself until I viewed this about a dozen times.

Scott,
I battled with the music and sound fades forever. You are right on the mark.... but I just ran out of time. :cry:

Thanks,

images-that-move

Another United Methodist

Postby images-that-move » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:26 pm

I like the show... I understand having a lack of images for your history I've encountered the same). I'm a part-time pastor serving Shiloh UMC (which was established as the Shiloh Meeting house around 1789)... I think you overcame the limitation of images wonderfully.

I hope you get a chance to show this to your DS (maybe at your Charge Conference)... what a great tribute to a faith community. I really like how you put the history of the church in context with secular history... that was a nice touch...

Seeing that you stated you ran out of time I won't offer up other suggestions... we all have to cut it off at some point.... boy how I understand that one...

I know your folks will enjoy and be bless by this show!!!

Take care,

vciro

Postby vciro » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:30 am

Bob/Al......et al,
Boy, there are a lot of Methodists on this site!
Well, we shouldn't be surprised. We have to be "methodical" to create this stuff and you all are so generous in sharing your "methods".....for free.

As far as my DS (District Superintendent), we have had interim DSs for almost a year now. I guess no one wants the position? New York is a tough place to be successful, even in matters of the church.

I just finished making about 40 DVDs of the show to share with our members and their families. It may not be the best technical show in the world since I am still learning this software but I think for the average member, they should enjoy it. Plus, you can't beat the price :-)

By the way, this is not a ProShow site but you might like it. It is very simple but the message is pretty darn good. Enjoy.....

http://www.kids4truth.com/watchmaker/watch.html

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:43 am

Yep the DS job is a hard one... (I know I don't make it easy of mine...ha ha)...

I know the members will like the show!!!

Hey thanks for the watchmaker message... very well done... might have to spring for the $5 to get a downloadable copy!!!

Take care,

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:55 am

Watchmaker Message

This should be a "must see" for all the world. Thanks! ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Rik 101

watchmaker Link (Vciro)

Postby Rik 101 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:19 am

Vinny thanks for the link That was great to see.
A well told but simple message for kids (and Big Kids too.)
http://www.kids4truth.com/watchmaker/watch.html

Regards Rick

PS. Enjoyed your 150th show. What a good way to finish~ I refer to caption on the last slide (Nice touch)
I've just made a 150th Show for my school reunion of the Old Photos and can relate totally about time pressures and Old photos.
I don't feel its polished enough to upload. I wanted to do more to it but had spent hours and hours scanning and photoshopping restoring the really Old photos for reprinting as most were not in good shape . My wife and 3 boys were wondering where I'd gone so didnt do any more. But got heaps and heaps of positive comments as we had it running on a 100 inch screen during the weekend and I had done slow pans over the Old class photos so lots and lots of looking and laughs.

vciro

Postby vciro » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:37 am

Rick,
I know what you mean about the time. My computer is in the basement. When I finally finished the show, I went upstairs and found out that my son had gotten married :-)

Obviously, I am kidding but the hours just flew by. Restoring old stuff can realy be a pain....but for something like this, it's worth it.

Rik 101

A job well done

Postby Rik 101 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:18 am

Absouletely and I'm sure all who got a DVD at that "good" price :D
will be thrilled.

Looking forward to your next show.

Rick

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback