My first show...posted here.

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

My first show...posted here.

Postby Scooter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:17 am

This is a show that I did as a memorial to my friends father. It was part of a compilation. Music does not start until 1:14 into it-this was planned.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 8106&alb=0

All feeback is welcome, both positive and negative! Some background info might be helpful but I'd just assume you watch it first.

Thanks in advance.

Scooter.
Last edited by Scooter on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you listen to the pictures, you'll see the music."

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:57 am

Nice show (and a tough one to do -- that was how I got into this, when
my mom died 3 years ago). Couple of things --

1) there is no sound on the first minute or so - I think there needs
to be at least some sort of short music or something at the front
and a comment that it is silent for the intro following (people will
scare everybody around them because Murphy's law says someone
will have the volume all the way up when the audio does start !! ).

2) the intro text - reads fine (and good timing) on the computer,
but I think you will find that people can't read it on a TV -- it is
too small for normal tv resolution (and old eyes too). Maybe
break it into two parts - show the first half then the second ?

3) You might want to put some captions in identifying some of
the other people in the pictures (if you know them) - while most
of the viewers (I would assume) have no problem identifying him,
it may help to comment on some of the others (I heard that from
some people on the one I did for my mom).

In general, I thought it was a very good show and flowed together
quite well. It's tough to put one of those together.
Been there, done that. :cry:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

lostdutchman

Postby lostdutchman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:40 am

gpsmikey wrote:Nice show (and a tough one to do Couple of things --

1) there is no sound on the first minute or so - I think there needs
to be at least some sort of short music or something at the front
and a comment that it is silent for the intro following.

mikey

I agree with mikey. When the sound suddenly came up it was a little jarring (I normally have my volume quite loud).

The opening slides seemed to memorialize the soul singers more than your friend's father. I'm not sure what you could do to put the singers more in the background. Later slides (the one with Elvis on the right) seemed to be more appropriate because the photo in the center was the primary focus.

I liked the ticket at the end.

You've worked very hard on this first show and it does memorialize your friend's father.
Ken

Postby Scooter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks gentelmen for the feedback. I should have mentioned that it would be silent for a bit. Appreciate the feedback and it's duly noted. Thanks for your time.

Scooter.

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

My Thoughts

Postby alcain » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:50 pm

Scooter, here are my thoughts...

Yes, Mikey is correct about the opening text. It would be very difficult to read on a television set. It should be at least twice as large.
I also agree about the opening sound (or lack of). Audio is so very important in any presentation, but more so in a memorial show.
I too, question the photographs of the various singers in the beginning. This show should primarily focus on this man only.
In the beginning of a memorial show, it is appropriate to have the name of the individual, and the year of birth/death.
Normally I would comment on so much image movement in a show, but the music choice allowed these to work.
I guess what I am missing is a little bit of serenity, reflection and honoring style of presentation. But you know this man and his family better than we do, and you suggested that there is a background reason for doing this show the way you did.

I make memorial shows for my church, and also as a paid service to others. One thing you do need to keep in mind (if this show will be played for others - as in a memorial service) is that not everyone who sees it will understand it.

As an example of some of the items I have mentioned, here is a memorial show I did that covers what I am trying to point out...
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 2719&alb=0
This show was played at the memorial service and a copy of the DVD was given to close family members to remember him by.
It shows many facets of his life from childhood to adolesence, to manhood.

Bottom line: You are a very creative and caring person. The show you made is a loving, wonderful gesture. I am quite sure, assuming there is information we do not know, that your show will be well recieved by his close family and friends. We are just pointing out some standard elements that have passed the test of time and review.

Blessings, ~al

————————
Notice: This review / comment / critique of your show is strictly my own personal opinion. I may visualize this show one way, and someone else will see it entirely differently. My comments and suggestions are only thoughts of how I might have done it differently, and are by no means, a statement of dislike for your work. You have a reason for doing the show the way you did, and I do respect and honor that. Please take my comments and suggestions with a grain of salt. If I have made a suggestion that you can use, then my review will be of some value. If I have made a suggestion that you do not agree with, then please just disregard this review. My only intent in reviewing shows on this user group is to provide users with another view / insight / and opinion. That’s what user groups are for. Please do not take this review personally, we are professionals and as such, are above petty bickering. Thank you for taking the time to read this review, and I thank you for sharing your work with all of us.
AB Cain
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby Scooter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks for your feedback Al.
I should maybe have provided a little info re: how this was going to play out. I know it's not traditional. The show itself was part of a 35 minute compilation I made prior to my friends wedding-a little look at he and his wife, their families..etc.

His father passed away a few years ago. The photo's, which were not many were all I had to work with. My friends father was "hip", cool and because of this I felt I could be a little creative. I hear you with the photo's of the soul singers in the beginning. It just felt right. I was tring to convey was a great man, though modest, his father was. He was a 3rd generation Italian stone mason. His Co. is 87 years old...this year, now run by his son. I thought the song stood on it's own.

The best thing of all he and his family really loved it. He actually called 2 days into his honeymoon to tell me how much.

I hear all you are saying and I've been viewing yours and others work for inspiration as well as form. I'm going to check out the link you sent me after dinner.

Thanks again.
Scooter.

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback