Gentle Giants (CONTENT REMOVED)

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
lisco

Gentle Giants (CONTENT REMOVED)

Postby lisco » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:49 pm

Greetings one an all!

It's been awhile since I had a show. I'll try and set this up as best I can. I feel out of sorts with this one. I have, what I think, is a great story to tell and I'm not sure exactly how to use this format to tell it. I feel that I have left something out.

Recently we were looking for a companion dog for our two Great Danes. We found a couple of puppies and there is a story there that I don't think many, if any, would have fully gotten from just the photos. I feel that I am weakest in this area and I needed to start working on it. I think that the show is a little off somewhere, but can't seem to put my finger on it. It's 3:30 minutes long. 13.38 mb I'll shut up now and let you judge for yourselves.

Comments/questions are welcome.

EDIT--I removed the original show and reposted under "Revised Gentle Giants" Your comments/questions are still welcome there. Thanks!

Thanks,

Scott
Last edited by lisco on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby weldr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:02 pm

Scott, I thought it told a great story. The first time touching grass........then first sunshine......seemed odd?! I think you'll get some good ideas by tomorrow. Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

OK Scott, Here is my take...

Postby alcain » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:26 am

I usually type as I watch, but this is an intriguing show / story, so I am pausing it after a few scenes...
Nice opening, but I feel it was 'rushed'. Don't be in a hurry to set things up. Let us absorb the images and text.
I am not crazy about the (I am color blind in my only available eye :roll: ) The blue/purple text didn't seem to fit. Maybe darken the clouds and use white text... or lighten the clouds and use black text... ok... like you did a little later on...
LOVE the music A+++
This style of music "begs" to have the images flow with it. Can you adjust timings to change with the swells and peaks of the soundtrack instead of the 4/4 timing? I could anticipate each slide change by counting 1234 / 1234 etc.
The slide, "The first time...grass" then "We like it" - maybe "We liked it!" I would like to see a different font used - not sure which one though.
The slide "I think that Duke fell asleep" - I would bring in both lines at the same time - We read I think that and get confused...
Actually, I see a couple of different fonts used - it is most always best to stick with just one...
The ending text is some pretty powerful stuff - too bad there wasn't some tear jerking music to go along with it - The silence took away from what could be an emotional ending.

Bottom line: You have chosen the sound track wisely. But the images do not fit the mood of the music. This can be changed easily. This is emotional music and needs emotional images. Your images are fine, but maybe need to be larger. Close tight face shots. Slower cross fade transitions to add a surreal feeling. And a more "distinguished" and polished font. You are definately on to something here, with a huge amount of potential. Blessings, ~al
————————
Notice: This review / comment / critique of your show is strictly my own personal opinion. I may visualize this show one way, and someone else will see it entirely differently. My comments and suggestions are only thoughts of how I might have done it differently, and are by no means, a statement of dislike for your work. You have a reason for doing the show the way you did, and I do respect and honor that. Please take my comments and suggestions with a grain of salt. If I have made a suggestion that you can use, then my review will be of some value. If I have made a suggestion that you do not agree with, then please just disregard this review. My only intent in reviewing shows on this user group is to provide users with another view / insight / and opinion. That’s what user groups are for. Please do not take this review personally, we are professionals and as such, are above petty bickering. Thank you for taking the time to read this review, and I thank you for sharing your work with all of us.
AB Cain
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:08 pm

Very touching ! I liked it -- while I have had samoyeds all my life, I have
always had a soft spot for the danes - typically very nice dogs (watch that
tail though !!). I had my two sammies over at the vet's one day waiting
for their turn - they were perfectly behaved, minding their own business
when this woman comes in with one of those little "foo foo" dogs and
starts making comments about how big mine are and dangerous. I explained
they were only mid sized dogs - she wasn't impressed until the sweet young
thing walked in with a male show great dane. "Ms mouth" just sort of shut up.
The dane was beautiful and perfectly behaved (except for the tail -- they can
topple trees and break legs with those things :lol: )

Very nice Scott. I like it the way it is.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

lisco

Postby lisco » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:12 pm

Don-

Thank you for your reply. You comment is exactly what I was trying to explain earlier. The first sunshine and first grass is becasue they were kept in a shed 24/7. When we picked them up, it was night. I know you had no way of knowing this and is why I was attempting to tell a story with this format and not write it out. If I write it out, there's no need for the pictures. I do appreciate your comments and will continune to work on this piece.

Al-
I had a feeling that you and your one eye might drop in for a look. :) As per usual, I enjoy you comments and usually learn from them. I knew it was missing something and you made some very good points. Things that I didn't see the first few times around. I was looking forward to your post. Thanks ever so much.

Mikey-
I'm glad that you liked my show. I never considered myself an animal person, but for what ever reason, after we got our first Dane, something changed in me. I was taken in by the size, grace, ability to knock anything or anyone down with a run by tail whipping. It's pretty funny until it's your turn. Then again, it's still pretty funny. We started out with them in our house, but after a few hundered dollars of run by tail whipping accidents, we decided it was time to move em. Thanks again for your kind words.

I hope that this is not the kiss of death. Usually when I post after someone comments, that's the last post. I really want a lot of opinions. I want to be able to tell this story well. I'm not sure what is driving me on this one, but it means a lot to me and I'm pretty blind as to what to do next. I'm sure I left something out, but keep em coming. Again, thanks to the three of you for your comments and suggestions.

Scott

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:26 pm

I'll follow it up so it isn't the "kiss of death" :D

Actually, you can still have them in the house - it is just
like children -- you learn to only put things that don't break
in the "danger zone" :roll:

We learned to run a wire from the top of the Christmas Tree
to a screw eye in the ceiling so kids/dogs could not tip the
tree over (with the dogs it was not intentional - they would
walk by and a the tree would grab their fur, they'd jump away
and over it would go). Deliberate action can be stopped with
training - the accident (tail etc) you just have to learn how to
arrange stuff so it doesn't happen)

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

lisco

Postby lisco » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:29 pm

Trust me! I know just what you mean. We have two adults and now the two puppies, so that would make our house a little crowded. They are very well behaved dogs. They have more room to move on our farm and have a barn almost as nice as our home. (question/s--does that mean that our house is really crappy or our barn is really nice? :D ) Anyway, they are living the good life out there.

Thanks,

Scott

Darn it!!! I just posted again. K.O.D.
:(
(

FionaO

Touching story

Postby FionaO » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:52 pm

An excellent show that really tells the story well. I agree about using a common font and text colour throughout, the variety at the moment is a little distracting. I tend to disagree about the silence in conjunction with the end captions, I think finishing the music before these come up gives them more impact. As an additional comment I would say I'm not too sure why you have the single B&W image in the middle of the show, had you thought of using B&W at the start and then bringing the colour in with the first touch of grass to give this point more impact.

As always, just my thoughts. As it stands I really enjoyed watching this show, it tells a story but now I want to know more - will you add to it as they grow?

Regards
Fiona

Hi Scott,

Postby debngar » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:23 pm

I thought it cute to have the story told via the dogs point of view.

I loved the ZZZZZ effect when the puppy was taking a nap. Also good choice of music for the theme.

These would be my nit-pics but only how I would approach it. Others may see things differently:

using a common font and text colour throughout, the variety at the moment is a little distracting

For continuity sake, I also agree it's usually good to try to stick with same font and color. Choose a color that is a nice contrast to the background. If necessary, use shadow or outline feature for clearer viewing.

It's ok that the text lays on top of "white space" in an image. It's not necessarily to shrink the image in order to be able to get the text on the plain background.

Consider using one background and try to stick with that if possible. Using different ones seems like watching two different shows, switching back and forth between the plain and gradient throughout - again that continuity thing.

Consider a teeny tiny bit of movement or zoom - 3-5% up or down to guide viewer to the focal points in your slides. There was some movement in a few slides but a lot were static and I think those could use some of that tiny movement.

You made me do a google on "gentle giants" and I saw a video clip on the guy that hosts "California Gold" on TV. He did a show on some people that do rescue of large gentle dogs and it was fascinating.

Your pups are adorable!

Hope to see more shows on your cutie-pies.

Thanks for sharing

Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Puppies only have two speeds -- into trouble or zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

mikey

lisco

Postby lisco » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:54 pm

Thank you very much for your input. I do agree with all of you about the fonts. I have gone back and changed them. I just haven't posted the remake as of yet. I truely appreciate all input.

but now I want to know more - will you add to it as they grow?

I really want to document them as they grow to see for myself and show others the difference it can make. Oh yea! And there will be a big difference in height and weight.

Thanks again,

Scott

Postby ivalirene » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:11 pm

Your dogs are sweet and how kind of you to rescue them. I enjoyed the show and will just add to the above, that I would like to see one more comment at the beginning of the show. After saying "we were abused...", I think there shold be a sliding saying somethink like "and then a wonderful thing happened" or something in that vein. It's obvious by the pictures, but I felt something missing at that point.
Have fun with the boys. Irene

lisco

Postby lisco » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Irene-

Thank you for your kind words. We really didn't start off on a rescue mission, just looking for a puppy and it turned into one. Our gain.
I agree with you that something should be there to lead you to the next step. I haven't had any time to work on it this week, but as soon as I get a chance, I will.

Thanks again,

Scott

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:20 pm

Hey Scott -- just in case you are not familiar with it (and find yourself
in need !! ) "Bitter Apple" is a spray that you can spray on things to
discourage chewing with those needle sharp puppy teeth (I speak from
experience :D ) The pet stores usually carry it.

mikey

lostdutchman

Postby lostdutchman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Loved the "Z"s. I thought the music was a little sad. I imagine them, first time on grass, in sunshine, running and hopping and frolicking. This music was good for their nap scenes, but I'd like to hear more "perky" music.
Ken

Next

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback