Wild Plains of Tanzania 2014

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Esteemed Member

Wild Plains of Tanzania 2014

Postby des.tom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:51 am

This is a link to a four show project based on our September's Wild Plains of Tanzania safari:

http://www.photodex.com/share/destom36/8xxgpmg4

I started off by planning to get them to run from a menu as I do on my dvd/bluray versions. The first time I ran it (it’s nearly 182mb) I ran into trouble with buffering so went back and created separate shows. However, I've tried it again and the menu option works ok on my computer - and that of several friends. Use the oldest of the "Wild Plains of Tanzania" thumbnails if you wish to use this version. If you have a slowish internet connection, it might be advisable to use the separate shows.

Unlike the safari we did in the Mala Mala private game reserve in South Africa some years ago, vehicles in the Tanzanian National Parks have to keep to the tracks (you need a special permit to do otherwise) so, while many of the animals were seen VERY close-up, some were at some distance - how the driver spotted the leopard up the tree, for example, was quite amazing. Consequently, some of the photos are not as sharp as I’d like – put it down to animals moving, people in the Land Cruiser moving, use of long lens without tripod or just poor photography! Apologies for the incorrect starting point for the third piece of music in the Serengeti show which I spotted too late for this version.

Shows running times: 8.15, 8.38, 7.58 & 4.01 - nothing objectionable.

It was a wonderful experience - highly recommended, as are the lodges!!

Des

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Wild Plains of Tanzania 2014

Postby sierra whiskey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:44 am

Hi Des

i enjoyed seeing this trip. I watched all of the first two episodes & flicked through the second two. You have some wonderful photos but as you have already alluded to some of the images dilute the overall effect within the shows. I fully appreciate why you have included some of the shots but IMHO a shorter show with all the good images and a couple of essential blurred ones would make for a more digestible show for those not directly involved.

anyway thanks for sharing & regards.

Steve

PS i think you'd love TOPAZ Clarity.

Postby debngar » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:19 am

Finally found the time to view your Tanzania show Des. It looks like it was a satisfying trip. :D

The airport flipboard effect was quite clever and the use of the colorful see-through caption title slides were a nice choice for your show.

With so much content captured in regards to landscape, creatures and other details, it must have been quite a job designing this presentation. Overall I enjoyed viewing your trip.

What camera and lenses did you wind up taking to memorialize the trip? I see you were pondering a switch to lighter gear a year or so before your trip.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby des.tom » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks for taking the time to view the shows and commenting.

The airport flipboard effect was from Palwebs' Travel Pack and the see-through caption title slides were based on "Adding a photo to a Caption in Producer 6" from the Tips & Ideas on the same site.

I ended up buying a Fujifilm X-S1 camera which has a 600+ zoom lens. Didn't find it easy to handle with lens at full extension without mono/tripod but don't expect any camera is. One thing I didn't like was that its best quality option saves pictures at 72dpi.

Steve, thanks for tip about Topaz Clarity.

Des

Postby debngar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:51 am

It doesn't matter what camera or lens is used, for a reach that long, it requires something anchoring it to avoid any motion as the length also magnifies any bit of movement and csuses camera blur.

As far as dpi, that's related to print output, not the actual size of the picture. The user decides what dpi to output to with a photo editor. It doesn't change the size of the pixels. An image at 1dpi placed on screen looks the same as one at 300 dpi on the screen if they both have same pixel measurements. But they will print out differently, (the 1dpi being the worst of the two) .

Read this:
http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html
Debbie

Postby heckydog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Enjoyed the show. It was obviously an adventure that you won't soon forget. I had to look at the video of the hippos several times, I'm still not 100% sure where the bubbles were coming from :wink:

I also noticed some of the photos were a bit blurry but I guess it's tough to make those choices between preserving as much of the memories of the trip as possible and trying to present as near perfect a show as possible. Overall, it was very well done.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby des.tom » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:43 am

Debbie,

Thanks for the clarification and link. Must admit I still think of 72dpi images being of email/internet quality and am far happier "downgrading" where necessary the 300 dpi images my Nikon D90 saves as its top quality option to "upgrading" my Fujifilm shots from 72dpi!

Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment. Yes, I had to include some images which normally would have hit the cutting room floor, eg the leopard up the tree and the black rhinos (two of only 30 left in the park!). Both were the best part of half a mile away so was pleased to get any shots.

Des

Postby debngar » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:40 am

des.tom wrote:Debbie,

Thanks for the clarification and link. Must admit I still think of 72dpi images being of email/internet quality and am far happier "downgrading" where necessary the 300 dpi images my Nikon D90 saves as its top quality option to "upgrading" my Fujifilm shots from 72dpi!

Des

Read the article. Neither camera "produces/saves" the "dpi" amount. No doubt the Nikon can produce a better picture. It's more likely the Nikon produces a larger picture in pixel size to begin with compared to the Fuji. The original out of camera image pixel amount determines the maximum potential print quality at 300dpi for a print. More pixels = better quality potential for printing bigger images. Less pixels = less quality = limited to smaller print size to not be pixelated.

Could be the setting in the camera for image capture in the Fuji was too low which will produce small images (pixel-wise). Nothing can be done about that after the fact unfortunately. Going forward, it would produce largest images if the camera is set at best and finest quality selection if it isn't already set that way.
Debbie

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback