Up close and personal with the Highland Gorillas in Rwanda

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

Up close and personal with the Highland Gorillas in Rwanda

Postby phil » Fri May 30, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie and have to say I am loving Producer. I am looking for some feedback to improve my shows and would appreciate comments. I have a lot of travel photos I am looking to present for family and friends and am working toward a series of 2-3 minute shows mostly via YouTube.
This one is 2:32 and does not contain material that might be considered objectionable.
[YouTubeHD]http://youtu.be/BDlWaEFUHdY[/YouTubeHD]

Edit: It doesn't appear the embedding for YT is working... my first attempt and may have done it wrong.
Update: Here is the direct link to version 2 following some great feedback from Mona (below) http://youtu.be/Xun7h_JAYY4

Thanks
Phil
Last edited by phil on Sat May 31, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Up close and personal with the Highland Gorillas in Rwan

Postby cherub » Sat May 31, 2014 12:39 am

Your first link seems to be working for me.

Hi Phil,
Fantastic photography, what else can I say ? What was the actual distance that you stood from them?

A few remarks on the show:
There are places where you are using a full picture on the whole screen, without hiding the black margins.
It's not very disturbing, but if you use the "fill screen" size for those slides, the black bars won't be seen. Alternatively, you could use a higher zoom and pan a little across.

Some slide styles that you've used, are playing throughout the transitions, hiding the last picture that is being shown.
You can correct this by modifying the style a bit, or if you don't know yet how to do this, you can simply shorten the transitions.

In general, I think that you've used the default of 3 seconds transitions. This is not a must.
You can play with the durations as needed. Sometimes a short transition works better, and sometimes long transitions may create spectacular effects.

Thank you for sharing your show with us.

Postby phil » Sat May 31, 2014 2:53 am

Hi Mona,

Thanks. For me the link is just text with the [Y..T…HD] tags on each end. I checked different browsers and different PC’s/devices where I was not signed in to the forum and see the same issue. I can see the embedded YT show in your post though.

We were supposed to be 7 meters from them but they moved toward us, so 3-5 meters on average. The side face close-up shot, the juvenile moved very quickly and almost sat in my lap! He was 10 centimetres from my leg. The guide told me not to move away too fast and frighten them… I leaned back and took the shot. It was magic!

Thanks so much for the feedback. Exactly the type of things I am after! I have found a number of the slide styles cycle the first photo/s back before the transition so will play with the timing as suggested.
I will make the other adjustments as well. It will definitely improve it and future shows. Great tips.

Thanks again.
Phil.
Last edited by phil on Sat May 31, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby phil » Sat May 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Following some great feedback from Mona (above) I have created version 2 which I think makes a big difference.

Version 2 link http://youtu.be/Xun7h_JAYY4

For someone new to get this type of feedback is very appreciated. Thank you Mona!

Thanks also to everyone who contributes to this site. It is an invaluable reference point for anyone learning or staying up to date with Proshow products and was one of the main reasons I purchased the product. With the assistance of this site and its community, I am finding Producer one of the best and exciting software investments I have made over the years.

Phil.

Postby ginger » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:52 am

Nicely done!

ginger

Postby phil » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks ginger

Postby Betty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi Phil,

Loved the show!

Betty

Postby phil » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi Betty,

Thanks. It was fun to make and relive the memories.

On to the next project... our Patagonia trip, then Africa, Alaska, etc... Lots of trips to rework with Producer.

The challenge now is to try and vary the shows. I am spending a lot of time trying to learn from what others have done and how they might have done it. "Attempting" to resist the temptation to purchase every effect that I like and seeing what I can easily modify to develop my knowledge.

Lots of information on this site and the wider member sites to look through which is fantastic.

Phil

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby sierra whiskey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:26 am

Hi Phil

I really enjoyed your show.

I have two comments to make. The first is to be very selective with you photos. IMHO most of your shots were good, some were brilliant but some looked a little bit soft & not in focus. It's a trap I often fall into including pictures because I liked it or it means something to me. Obviously it depends on your intended audience but if they have no connection to the images it does take a little bit away from the show.

Secondly I always think when using slide styles & transitions you need to consider how they dovetail or link to the preceding & following slides.

Anyway that aside I enjoyed the show & shall look forward to future presentations from you.

regards

Steve

Postby phil » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:36 am

Thanks for the feedback Steve. Much appreciated.

I am finding the less is more approach with photos, styles and transitions more effective recently. Keeping the effects more subtle or to emphasis a particular shot. It is easy to get caught up in all the whiz-bang particularly at the start.
I totally agree with the selectivity comment. I was/have been “attempting” at times to link a trip description on or being developed for our website to the show. Even with the connection in hindsight it would be better to have a 1.5 min show that stands on its own (all forums) and adding some static shots in our website trip description.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Phil.

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback