Portrait of Joan

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Valued Member

Portrait of Joan

Postby DJaseck » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:31 pm

I did a photo shoot of my late wife Joan years ago and came across the proofs and thought a short show would be a great way to bring them out and be accessible to all my family and friends. Because the photo shoot was all done in portrait mode, with various colored backgrounds, and all I had was scans of small proofs I tried to do some photoshop stuff to convert them to landscape mode and color continuity for my show which was originally done in Gold. Since having Producer, I have redone the show and pleased with the overall quality of the show and think it shows her beauty and sweetness thanks to PSP. It is a short show of less than 3 minutes. Music is by Elaine Elias, playing a Bill Evans tune called "For Nanette". Thanks for taking a look...Dave

https://vimeo.com/77508322

Re: Portrait of Joan

Postby Magmatic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:15 pm

I thought that was well done. I started to say I can see what you mean about adding consistent backgrounds. The one thing I would do is a change to the last slide. The decorative band on top of Joan's face could be removed with a mask so that the band passes behind her.

It's a wonderful tribute your family will cherish.
David Shuford

Valued Member

Postby DJaseck » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:00 am

Thank you for your kind comments. The last slide is actually a caption slide and the bar is not removable and also, putting her on top of it would hamper the last caption of the show. I got the idea from the finest wedding show I have ever seen "Kirstin and Joey Wedding". It was the last slide of the that show also and this slide is part of the standard slide style collection that comes with PSP. Thanks for taking a look...Dave
Here is link to the wedding show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC4MbH0wJbs

Postby Magmatic » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:09 pm

The wedding show certainly is quite polished. I wonder how long that took? The style at the end works there I think because the bar crosses only their chins. The rest of their faces are clear.

I just think it would look better if the bar didn't cross the face. I think you're saying the bar and the background are all on one layer. That makes it harder. In that case, I would try a different style or layout.

But of course you'll do what you think best for your show.
David Shuford

Postby Magmatic » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:13 pm

I have another suggestion. Since you edited the pictures to remove the existing backgrounds, putting a "glow" around Joan, you could do something similar, except make Joan and the glow a mask. Use that to mask the background and bar. Put Joan and the glow on a layer above that, and you've got it.
David Shuford

Valued Member

Postby DJaseck » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Funny you should mention that, I had already done that. I did some thinking about how I could utilize the artwork in that slide and avoid the bar. I had done this for the last slide and waiting to see how I feel about it. I have seen the original so many times, it's something I have to think about. In any event, thanks for the suggestion, our minds apparently work along the same lines. Here is a screen shot of how it looks....Dave

http://www.pbase.com/davidjaseck/image/154173011

Valued Member

I think I can go with this...

Postby DJaseck » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Kept thinking it through. Came up with this which I think adds to the show. Your thoughts on the last title slide?

http://www.pbase.com/davidjaseck/image/154173538

Valued Member

Final solution, last title slide Portrait of Joan

Postby DJaseck » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:47 am

Hi Magmatic...Thanks for your suggestion on that last slide, you were right it wasn't quite right. After a couple of tries to redo it, non of which really satisfied me, I took the artwork and image into Photoshop and came up with something that works for me and represents an improvement on the last slide. Also, opened my mind to using the experience in future applications. A teachable moment indeed. Take another look and let me know what you think....Dave

https://vimeo.com/77508322

Postby Magmatic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Your first solution, using the rectangular photo: I hadn't thought of that, but it works.

The second solution is more what I had in mind, but it seemed too tightly cropped.

The third solution looks nice. Having the chin up in the bar area, rather than below just looks better to me for some reason. It's great you were able to mask this well. Masks can be hard to draw. (I know, from my latest project.)

So, you did it!
David Shuford

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback