Criticism or otherwise on my new website wouldbe appreciated

Want to share your own personal web site with the other forum members? Post a link here. This section is for personal sites only. Sites promoting slide show businesses are acceptable. Please DO NOT link to sites that you use to sell ProShow styles, templates, etc.
Valued Member

Postby Herriot2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi guys...

I have just signed up for the 7 day trial of clikpik (the system Davy uses for his website) It is a very good system - for beginners. But there are limitations and one of the limitations is the additions of links and other extra code.

The clicpic system is not, unbeleivably, wysiwyg, it's not even pure coding. It's a system of forms and dialogue boxes the data is obviously held in a database of sorts (possibly SQL). Each element on the form has an ID (primary key maybe). In the creation of a webpage you don't actually see what it looks like till you press preview. It's quite a clever system for beginners.

Hope this helps

Peter

PS If I could figure out how to add pics to my posts I'd upload a couple of screenshots, or you can all sign up for the 7 day trial and all see what I mean and all become experts :lol:
Last edited by Herriot2 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My show on my website

Postby weebolddavy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi Folks

Good new, we got there in the end. Mike sent me some code which I copied and pasted and it works perfectly :D
A big thank you to everyone who helped me give the website and the show the polish it has now.
It's nice to know there's good folks out there who take a pleasure in helping others, I hope one day I can repay you all in kind.

Thanks once again

Davy :D
Even the longest journey starts with a single step

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby dilyla » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:03 pm

Peter -

Now that's interesting about the clikpic web site interface ... may just have to take the trial & see what you found! I thought it looked very restrictive as to content when I looked around on their site yesterday.

- Diana
Dilyla's Designs
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby dilyla » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Davy -

I took another look at your site since you used Mike's code and put the show directly on the page. That's MUCH better than a plain-old link! :)

Best of luck with your new (and polished!) site...

- Diana
Dilyla's Designs
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Valued Member

Postby Herriot2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:37 pm

dilyla wrote:Peter -

Now that's interesting about the clikpic web site interface ... may just have to take the trial & see what you found! I thought it looked very restrictive as to content when I looked around on their site yesterday.

- Diana

Create a false name and email for the trial lol. Anyway you are correct I would find it very restrictive but for beginners it's fine if a bit odd.

Peter

Valued Member

Re: My show on my website

Postby Herriot2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:39 pm

weebolddavy wrote:Hi Folks

Good new, we got there in the end. Mike sent me some code which I copied and pasted and it works perfectly :D
A big thank you to everyone who helped me give the website and the show the polish it has now.
It's nice to know there's good folks out there who take a pleasure in helping others, I hope one day I can repay you all in kind.

Thanks once again

Davy :D

You are very welcome.

Davy...what part did you put Mike's code into?

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Davy:

It looks good now! I'm glad I was able to help.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Mike

Valued Member

Postby Herriot2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:52 pm

mgregg99 wrote:Davy:

It looks good now! I'm glad I was able to help.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Mike

Thanks for helping there Mike. I see that you got Davy to add the code to the keywords section - clever.

Is there any chance of getting the code from you for my website (when i make it that is)? :-)

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Herriot2 wrote:Is there any chance of getting the code from you for my website (when i make it that is)? :-)

I sent him the code that I used in the instructions I posted in this thread:

Playing Your Photodex Hosted Shows From Your Own Web Site

Once you've done it the first time it's easy after that to add more shows. If you have any questions let me know.

Mike

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:22 pm

Herriot2 wrote:[I see that you got Davy to add the code to the keywords section - clever.

There are no keywords in the code that I saw. The tag you are referring to is for the description, which is supposed to be a description of the page.

Davy - I didn't look at the titles on all the pages, but your Gallery page should have a title of "Tarton Dragon Photography: Gallery" instead of just Gallery so it matches the others.

Kathy

Valued Member

Postby Herriot2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:39 pm

stickgirl wrote:
Herriot2 wrote:[I see that you got Davy to add the code to the keywords section - clever.

There are no keywords in the code that I saw. The tag you are referring to is for the description, which is supposed to be a description of the page.

Kathy

Kathy, please read my post again as you haven't read it in its proper context methinks. Note I didn't say keywords in the code but code in the keyword section.

Regards Peter

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:33 pm

Peter - You are absolutely correct as you did say "code in the keyword section."

I've been coding for quite a few years, but I've never heard of a "keyword section." Can you enlighten me?

Kathy

Valued Member

Postby Herriot2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am

stickgirl wrote:Peter - You are absolutely correct as you did say "code in the keyword section."

I've been coding for quite a few years, but I've never heard of a "keyword section." Can you enlighten me?

Kathy

Yes I too have been coding for some time now and, like you I didn't know that this could be done hence my statement clever. You live and learn.

The area you describe is, indeed the page descrition metadata element. However the system Davy uses to create and maintain his website (Clikpic) gives you a series of database form fields to complete (it's a strange system but ok for beginners). Davy never sees the web page till he previews it. It is niether code nor a wysiwyg system - as I said strange. In this system the area we know as the page description is called Keywords. Sign up for the 7 day trial and you'll see what I mean. It's weird - but works.

Peter

Previous

Return to Personal Web Sites