My new Site

Want to share your own personal web site with the other forum members? Post a link here. This section is for personal sites only. Sites promoting slide show businesses are acceptable. Please DO NOT link to sites that you use to sell ProShow styles, templates, etc.

My new Site

Postby dorarose » Sun May 20, 2007 10:17 am

Hope some of you will have a look, and be kind in your comments!
www.yourphotoshow.com
dorarose
Reg

Postby trulytango » Thu May 24, 2007 2:26 am

Hi Dorarose

I think your site looks brilliant. It's professional, easy to understand and simple to navigate... but sadly, I think the music on your Index/link page spoils it. It just doesn't seem to gel with the site at all and I think it could possibly detract attention from the quality of your products - which look very good indeed.

Best wishes

Iris
UK

Postby nannybear » Thu May 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Looks great very smooth.....cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu May 24, 2007 4:34 pm

I like the site, but I have a few observations:

The first has been mentioned in that the music didn't seem to fit, although when viewing the site just now I don't get any sound at all. Maybe you're working on that.

The second is in relation to your opening page. It seems as though it's a preview page introducing you to the rest of the site. You also have a home page that is different from the entry page. My suggestion is to decide what you want on your initial page and do away with the other. Once you leave the opening page you can't get back to it, and it may confuse visitors.

Also, on the entry page, there is a notation to Click above and see custom slideshows in action, but the links are below, not above. You may also want to include some form of navigation to allow viewers to exit the slideshow pages and return to the previous page. Clicking on the back button in the browser works, but they should be given some direction.

Other than than, it's well done. Congrats!

Mike

skiyak

Re: My new Site

Postby skiyak » Thu May 24, 2007 5:00 pm

dorarose wrote:Hope some of you will have a look, and be kind in your comments!
www.yourphotoshow.com
dorarose

----------

Very nice website, professional, very consistent in design which helps pull the pages together.
A couple of things though. And I have to say, I'm being picky but it's easier when there is really a lot less to comment on.

1. I would have thought that www.yourphotoshow.com would be the home page. Maybe the current "home page" should be labelled Slideshows?

2. In terms of your web page links at the top, I would change the order slightly: Home {next, put your services together such as Slideshows, Restoration, Video}, maybe Gallery, Packages. I'm not so sure about whether advice needs to be there or if it could go into a sublink say under Ordering. Sometimes it's best not to have too many tabs, but not so sure. And the rest somewhere later to the right. You want to have your most important things showing from left to right. Maybe have the site map at the end of the line or maybe just on the Home Page www.yourphotoshow.com. Make a separate icon rather than a tab. Usually if someone's going to want to look at the site map, they'll look from the first page, not once they start moving around. That might solve having less "web page links" on top.

3. "Your Photo Slideshow", Bring your photos to life. That's very nice but I would only put that on the home page. The message is actually a bit confusing if you're looking at Restoration and then this message appears.

Also, you're now taking up prime real estate with this message where the readers will start to read your info. You should try to show as much info as possible where users do not have to scroll down.

4. I'm curious, what resolution was this created, 1280 X 768? It seems to show best at this resolution. I believe though that the most popular resolution right now is probably 1024 x 768 which means you have to scroll a lot more. I'm betting it's some young 20 year-old that's done your site (they have good eyes) or a programmer -- always notorious for trying to get as much on their screens as possible. [I work in IT so that's why I say this] ;-) But for the general public, and especially as users' age, they usually like their screens larger. We rolled out new computers a year ago to about 1,000 users and we have a very mixed environment, but I'd say the calls the helpdesk got most the first few days were to have their screen resolutions changed and fonts enlarged. It was a very big consideration to our end users, to the point some thought they couldn't function to capacity unless it was fixed right away. [edit: Maybe the size is all right. My screen is a 19 or 21 inch so maybe that's why it looks off a bit but would look fine on 17"]

The Reply!!

Postby dorarose » Fri May 25, 2007 4:48 am

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate all the advice and I intend to act on it. Unfortunately I have to do it myself so it will take a while before I figure out exactly what all the recommendations mean. As far as the design, I bought a template and am not completely happy with it, I'm thinking of dumping it and going to a drop-down menu format. Except....all that work wasted...!
As for the music, I changed it right away and it plays fine locally, but not elsewhere...?
I really appreciate the input;
stay tuned!
abuelo, aka dorarose
Reg

Return to Personal Web Sites