Is this the Right Way to Start the Business? A Website.

Want to share your own personal web site with the other forum members? Post a link here. This section is for personal sites only. Sites promoting slide show businesses are acceptable. Please DO NOT link to sites that you use to sell ProShow styles, templates, etc.

Is this the Right Way to Start the Business? A Website.

Postby bbtracker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:02 pm

I have been doing slide shows for family and friends as a favor before I discovered PSG, then PSP. Now, I am thinking of making it a business to supplement my remi-retired income as database applications developer and web designer. As a starter, I would appreciate your comments on the website that I have designed specifically for the business of doing DVD Shows. Suggestions and items that I might have missed are welcome before I make the final decision to launch the project.

Here's the link to the new website: http://www.definingmoments.us

Thank you all for your help.

Conrado

PS: The sample shows included in this release are under major reconstruction.
My Websites:
-----------------------
www.caunan.com
www.philcanam.com
www.definingmoments.us
-----------------------------

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:21 pm

I love this:

> Extensive Use of Transitions & Special Effects

From the "Ultimate" version.

From all the comments here about not cluttering presentations with too many "gee-whiz" features and transitions, I think you have the pricing backwards.

You should charge more for NOT using so many transitions and effects. It typically takes way more effort and time to create a thoughtful show where the effects don't detract from the images and story.

;-)
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Postby bbtracker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:28 pm

Thanks, Andrzej.

I'll certainly consider limiting the transitions and concentrate more on the effectiveness of the presentation.

Conrado
My Websites:
-----------------------
www.caunan.com
www.philcanam.com
www.definingmoments.us

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:47 pm

Tongue in cheek aside, I would concentrate on presenting a very simple price list, with very clear deliverables (not too many fancy options) at first.

Stick to the basics, build up a reputation and clientelle, and then let your customers lead you towards what should be extra cost options. You're likely to guess wrong up front.

I also found the web site design a bit dated. It didn't evoke images of marvelously designed and executed shows for me.

Might be worth getting a graphic designer to help out in that regard. Local schools and colleges are good sources of free/cheap work in that regard.

I also don't think that a web site will help much. As was noted in some other threads here (well worth finding and reading), the bulk of your business will be pretty much local. And a web site ain't gonna help that much on a local scene.

Better bet would be to get a booth, with a nice laptop show running, at local wedding shows and other such venues that you want to target. Do up some inexpensive "demo" samples.....heck....do 'em on VCD if DVDs cost too much, and spread them around to good effect. Give them to all your family, friends, colleagues, associates (dentist, doctor, accountant, mechanic, etc.) and start spreading the word.

I think you'll get more business that way than with even the most spectacularily designed web site.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:02 am

Conrad

In your 'Contact Us' I would suggest that in the 'Country' dropdown list 'England' should be replaced by 'UK'. If you don't you will be fighting off hoards of barbaric celtic Scots, Welsh and Northern Ireland rebels from your front door. :lol:

Brian

Postby bbtracker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:03 am

The final version will reflect the suggestion. Thank you, Brian.
My Websites:
-----------------------
www.caunan.com
www.philcanam.com
www.definingmoments.us

Postby Yanis » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:25 am

briancbb wrote:Conrad

In your 'Contact Us' I would suggest that in the 'Country' dropdown list 'England' should be replaced by 'UK'. If you don't you will be fighting off hoards of barbaric celtic Scots, Welsh and Northern Ireland rebels from your front door. :lol:

Brian

ROFLMAO!!! :lol:

racoscarelli

Website for Business

Postby racoscarelli » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:32 am

Conrado,

Overall I think that your site is does a fine job of presenting your offerings.

My recommendations/opinions are:
1. The music does nothing to enhance your site and you may have a copyright issue.
2. In addition to a website (now days, everyone in business is expected to have a site -- not everyone will agree with me on that...) I would target professional photographers who may not have your services as a part of their business and you can offer it through them or directly to business who wish to put together an advertising disc, or to Associations who would like a disc to be used at their conventions in a kiosk to advertise to their members, etc. Specific target marketing, I have found, is very effective, but make sure that you show them an example that might fit their business.

Good luck over their.

Rick Coscarelli

Return to Personal Web Sites