Dimensional Caption Fakery

Want to share your own personal web site with the other forum members? Post a link here. This section is for personal sites only. Sites promoting slide show businesses are acceptable. Please DO NOT link to sites that you use to sell ProShow styles, templates, etc.

Dimensional Caption Fakery

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:37 am

There's a simple way to give your captions the appearance of depth, and it's explained in a new post over on ProShowThink: Give dimension to Producer Captions

When you get there, click on the image of the finished caption so you can see it full size.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Dimensional Caption Fakery

Postby trulytango » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:14 am

Nice work, B!
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks, Iris. This is what happens when you're supposed to be doing something you don't want to do. In desperation, you decide the world needs more verbal depth, and without it, famine will strike. Everyone should thank me for warding off disaster.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:09 pm

I like this. I can't connect to my scanner at the moment else I might try some of this myself. I'll bet I could dig up something else in my stash of images that might do though...

I've used a contrasting offset second caption layer similar to this a couple of times but never connected it with the thought of using the texture on caption with the outline at the same time. Great idea to make those words pop! :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Scanners are cool. There are so many things to scan, two of the best being fabric and gift wrap. I've even scanned flat-out junk just to see what comes of it.

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:21 pm

I probably ought to take the time to put this extra idea into a blog post so it ends up being permanent, but it'll have to wait a bit. The idea is how to make it appear a caption is coming out from beneath a layer...

Type 'n' into a caption line, switch to Wingdings, and make its size around 400. You'll have an exceedingly large square. Move it to one side of the screen. Fill it with a pattern, a gradient, or just give it a color. If you move it to the left or top of the screen, you can give it a drop shadow, assuming you have a background that isn't the default black. Add another caption line, a real one in a regular font. Have it start beneath the giant Wingding and pan out from underneath.

Here I have the word "Caption" beginning to pan out from beneath the left Wingding:

Sure, it isn't the same as having a caption come out from beneath a really intricate something-or-other, but it most definitely works!

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Thu May 02, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby trulytango » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:04 am

Ooh, this little scrapper like that idea! :D
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 am

Me too! It almost makes me want to dig out my font design software and create a font just for doing this kind of thing. Almost. Designing a font is NOT easy. :( But...what's out there in freebie fonts?

Barbara

Return to Personal Web Sites