Need advice on which website to use

Want to share your own personal web site with the other forum members? Post a link here. This section is for personal sites only. Sites promoting slide show businesses are acceptable. Please DO NOT link to sites that you use to sell ProShow styles, templates, etc.

Need advice on which website to use

Postby bobbcat63 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:36 am

Hi all,
I have been very impressed with input everybody has on websites. I'm trying to decide whether to keep my current website or change over to one I created with iWeb. My current website is hosted and made using a template at Homestead. http://www.cindysdigitalcreations.com I've never felt like it looks professional enough so I've been using iWeb on my Mac recently. My real hangup with the iWeb version is that it won't be quite as convenient to publish (I will still use Homestead to host the site). http://web.me.com/bobbcat63/Cindys_Digital_Creations

So, I'm asking for some feedback on which site to use and any other feedback that you might have. My business is very small scale and local. I mostly use the website just for people to go there and be able to view some samples of my work. Do you think it's worth some extra effort on my part to go with the iWeb version?

Current site: http://www.cindysdigitalcreations.com
iWeb version: http://web.me.com/bobbcat63/Cindys_Digital_Creations

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate!

Cindy

Site Admin

Re: Need advice on which website to use

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Cindy:

Simply based on a quick view of both sites here are a few thoughts:

Homestead Site: I like this one a bit better only because it has your banner atop each page so you have branding visible no matter where your visitors may be within your site. It has the appearance of being a personal business web site. I'm not a big fan of the template itself, but that's more of a personal taste issue. The color scheme seems a bit flat. Maybe a little color in there would help?

iWeb Site: Once you get past your welcome page the site just seems like any other web gallery that people put up using the same software. I have nothing against Apple, but your site does more to promote Apple than it does your business. They conveniently place a small ad at the bottom of your home page letting everyone know that you used your Mac to create the site, as well as the little icon that is associated with your pages in the browser's address bar. There is no branding of any kind once you get past the welcome page.

For both sites I didn't see any pricing information or detailed descriptions of what the different types of packages in your portfolio are. You have several options to choose from, but nothing to explain what makes one a "basic" show versus a "deluxe" show.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Postby psychogramma » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Cindy,
A totally nonpro opinion here.
I like the first site better than the second.
The first site is clean, fresh, easy to view and quick to load (both load quickly).
The second site: I think black has been overused and many times it is difficult to see some buttons etc on it (your navigation bar at top of page and copyright info at bottom). Then my eyes are old. :-)

Good luck in all!
Cathy

Postby texan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:08 pm

I personally like your Homestead site better than the Iweb; with one exception........I think the opening home page
on the iweb page (With the reflective logo) is more of a grabber..........but you can certainly modify your homestead page if you get additional input that suggests you need to make a change.

The short of it is...........your Homestead site looks professional........don't sell it too short....

By the way.......where's your pricing?
Texan

Postby bobbcat63 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:45 pm

You guys are awesome! This is exactly what I needed to hear. It's so valuable to have some "fresh" eyes take a look.

It is on my to do list to have some descriptions of the various packages added and definitely a price list.

I'm actually surprised that, so far, you like the Homestead site better. But happy about that at the same time. I'm going to work on it a little more and see what I can do.

Thanks again for your very helpful input!

Cindy

Return to Personal Web Sites