How Creative Are You?

This area is for member suggested challenges using ProShow Producer only. See top thread for challenge rules.

How Creative Are You?

Postby Anna J » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:15 am

Hi Everybody!
Back in the old days when we were walking five miles in the snow barefoot to get to this forum, it was exciting to watch new shows because you would see new techniques a forum member had figured out. With the availability of Styles, a lot of that individual creativity has disappeared and quite a few of the shows posted now are little more than a collection of one canned style after another. Don't get me wrong: I love the canned Styles and I've bought my share of them. :lol: But there's a lot of fun to be had from constructing a show from scratch.
So my challenge is this: Make a show that uses NO Styles you've gotten from a source other than your own brain. Otherwise, use any song, theme, topic, photo doctoring, etc. you want. Just go crazy and have a little fun with the program. Just to make it interesting, after a month or so, let's set up a poll and vote for a winner. Prize: a pair of brogans. Post your show in this thread unless Mike tells us otherwise. Newbies encouraged to enter and teach the old dogs some new tricks. Oldies encouraged to enter and show the young whipper snappers a thing or two.
Anna
It has been suggested by those far wiser than I that your challenge shows be posted in the regular Sample Shows category with the designation OCT-09: "title" as in "OCT-09: My Dog Spot" so that if you are interested in seeing one of the challenge shows you can spot it by the preface OCT-O9
Astra asked if this show should be a new show or a previously posted show. Since there is already a thread for golden oldies in the challenge section, I feel this should be a new show. Due to the dumb way I wrote the original challenge, it appears the challenge is to create a new style. Creating a new style is great, but there are also other ways to show creativity in creating a show. Below are links to a few shows that were unique presentations. You might look at them for inspiration. This is just a small sampling. I'm too lazy too search for links to all the creativity that has been displayed on this forum.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 8118&alb=0
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 0327&alb=0
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 3339&alb=0

These 3 shows were all created "from scratch" and use a unique way of presenting the show. There are hundreds of other shows just as unique on the board (I'm lazy, remember?) Using a new style you created would be fantastic but just thinking of a new fresh way to put together your show (e.g. The Chair) would be a great entry for this challenge. Go wild! Have fun! Don't be afraid of winning the brogans. :lol:
Last edited by Anna J on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Anna

Re: How Creative Are You?

Postby debngar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:33 am

Hi Anna,

I'm with you. As time has been short for me lately, I have to say that I've resorted to using canned styles. For a long time I've seldom if ever used the templates because though there are plenty of good segments out there, they can get old too if overused. They have a place, along with the styles since they are a time saver, for sure.

I've had less time to create new stuff due to a lot of things on my plate these days. It really helps to see other people's creative stuff as sometimes it sparks a new idea in my head or something related but tweaked into something else. If I get a chance to shoot some new pictures that might make a decent show, I'd love to try the challenge.

The "winner" thing doesn't matter to me. Personally, I see the benefit is viewing other user's creative bent on new ideas.

Thanks for the challenge. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:43 am

I haven't bought, borrowed, or stolen a single style since noticing that shows are beginning to look like copies of one another. Canned styles are super for people who have a business or who've had one too many requests from family and friends, but I think that when it comes to shows created "just because," they can be a danger, keeping a person from striving to become better at the craft.

The only way I'll have time to join in the challenge is if I use something I've built for The Frame Locker. I hope Mike doesn't ban me for all time if I do this. :(

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby trulytango » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:15 am

Hi there... just chipping in as the title of this post caught my eye.

Barbara, you have created some lovely things for the Frame Locker (from scratch), so I see no problem in you putting together a show that displays their use to good effect? Its not very often you post a show... but when you do, people take notice. You have a really unique way of presenting and it isn't just visual - your shows make us think. I don't have the same amount of time to devote to creating personal shows from scratch, as I've taken on more work outside the home in recent months, but if something springs to mind I'll see if I can get the cogs whirring inside my head and put something new together for this challenge:D

Good thread, Anna!

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby ChrissyC » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:24 am

Can I use Iris's new Halloween template with my pictures and say I made it???? :lol: no probably not! (chuckle)
I am as creative as a dam dead stump! I see so many lovely things created and wish I had done that, but when it comes to making my shows they are usually always the same! boring as mud! :lol:
I can't wait to see everyone's entries...
Chrissy

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:31 am

You pointed it out very well, Chrissy. What the devil is Iris even thinking? The Halloween show she just posted is a perfect entry for this challenge. Not a single canned item in it. (Black cats don't count.) She'd win those nasty shoes Anna claims is the prize.

Interestingly enough, Iris, and if you think about it, I use very few special effects in my shows, not the kind a person does in Producer, anyway. I'm a total Photoshop freak, and so that's where I spend most of my time when creating a show. Therefore, I'm not sure I'm up to this challenge, but I'll be darned if I'll be left out of the fun just because I'm a Producer dullard!

Barbara

Postby HunnyB » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:54 am

I will try ----but it seems that lately my "creative" side has left me. And I can't find it :roll:
Hey, is there a time limit?
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:14 am

HunnyB wrote:I will try ----but it seems that lately my "creative" side has left me. And I can't find it :roll:
Hey, is there a time limit?

Oh, Hunny, you'll get your mojo back. Don't worry about it.

And is there ever a time limit on creativity? If there is, let's find out who made the rule and dump them in an old, stinky well.

Barbara

Postby psychogramma » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:44 am

You ladies are all crazy, in the best kind of way. :lol:

Sounds like fun.

Be well and enjoy ALL!
Cathy

Postby Anna J » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Barbara: Those shoes are nearly new; hardly worn. :twisted: And the challenge says you can Photoshop all you want. :D
Chrissy: You are creative! You're the first person I saw work scrapbook elements into Producer. :)
Iris: Be very careful about what you submit. Remember the spinning ornament? Whatever you post is going to generate cries of I Want It, I Want It! :lol:
Hunny: Even in your weakened state, you will be able to come up with something that puts the rest of us to shame. As for the time limit. I'm pretty old, so don't wait too long. :roll:
psychogramma: What's this "you ladies" stuff? Hope to see one from you too.
Debbie: We can't have a challenge like this without you, one of the MOST creative people on the forum. If winning those brogans doesn't motivate you, we can come up with an alternate prize. Possibly a framed 8x10 of Barbara wearing them (for your living room). :)
Anna
Anna

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:28 pm

What size are they?

Barbara

Postby ChrissyC » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:37 pm

LOLOLOL Oh Anna you made me laugh :):) I would love to have a life sized picture of Barbara wearing those prize shoes hanging on my wall :lol: but I have to ask...what the heck does a brogan look like?? I have never even heard of them..are they like birkenstocks? the hippie shoes and the ONLY shoe I could slide my fat feet into the entire time I was pregnant! good old birkenstocks! :lol:

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:52 pm

BarbaraC wrote:The only way I'll have time to join in the challenge is if I use something I've built for The Frame Locker. I hope Mike doesn't ban me for all time if I do this. :(

I don't understand this comment.

Mike

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Mike, I was joking about how, if I use stuff that I'm selling, it might appear as if I'm advertising regardless of intent. No deeper than that.

Barbara

Postby VidQueen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how I can get in on this :D :D

Let me go back through my 8,638 mile long To Do list to see what can be postponed so I can try to put together a show that might get back some of my own creativity, which has also waned due to creating too many "simple" canned styles :cry:

Photoshop is allowed.....what about After Effects? I'm cool if you say no....not exactly a program everyone has access to :wink:

I really want "in" 8) I've been feeling very "blah" creatively. This may be just what the doctor ordered!

Jennifer

Next

Return to PSP - Challenges