MY FIRST WEDDING SLIDE SHOW

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
akpe

MY FIRST WEDDING SLIDE SHOW

Postby akpe » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:17 am

Hello guys
this is my first wedding slide show using proshow gold.
i will like to get inpute from you guys on what you think about it.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 8493&alb=0
Last edited by akpe on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jerry Cole » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:22 am

Akpe,
You have some very good wedding photos to work with here, but the constant and repetitive zooming overwhelmed them.
I'm not opposed to movement in slides, but I think any movement needs to have a purpose. I did not get that feeling of purpose from the zooms. The pace of the music and the pace of the visual show seemed quite independent from one another.

I am not really keen on techno-pop music for weddings, but that is a personal choice and the least of my issues.

I think if you tell us the story of the wedding, the people and the place instead of focusing on the movement, you would be far ahead. A few well placed and relevant captions might be good to help document the place, time and focus of the event.

My comments, of course, are personal opinion, and others have different tastes. Please be assured though that the comments from the folks on this forum are really trying to give you constructive ideas to improve your show.

We welcome you and your show,

Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Producer Addict

Wedding

Postby Producer Addict » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:03 am

I agree with Jerry. If you haven't already done so, have a look at some of Mark Ridouts work, for some great ideas. Most of all don't get discouraged, it's an adventure learning this stuff.

Best of Luck

Tom

lisco

Postby lisco » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:27 pm

Greetings and Welcome!

Loved the photos and angles from which they were taken. Nice job. I like the music, but am in agreement with Tom and Jerry. (sounds like a cartoon title :) ) It is a personal preference. I thought it odd that you chose a song named "Sadness" as an opener to, what is suppose to be a happy day. Second song was a better fit. I enjoy it, but personally, I would have used a different style of music.

Pan and Zoom. A lot of people here don't care too much for them. I have learned in my short amount of time here that simple is sometimes better. There are certain photos that deserve a pan or zoom or both, to bring attention to a specific part of the photo, but for most of them, it is probably better to leave them be. I always felt that in order to make it seem better there had to be a lot of movement. After viewing many slide shows here, I finally understood what everyone was talking about. Most of them are professionals and know what they are talking about. Try and view some of the other wedding shows and read the comments. Take what you need from them and forget the rest.

This turned into a longer post than what I had intended. Nonetheless, I like all parts of your show, maybe just not together. I'm probably wrong, I usually am. (quote from scotts wife about scott :) )

My 3 cents.

Scott

lisco

Postby lisco » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:28 pm

Greetings and Welcome!

Loved the photos and angles from which they were taken. Nice job. I like the music, but am in agreement with Tom and Jerry. (sounds like a cartoon title :) ) It is a personal preference. I thought it odd that you chose a song named "Sadness" as an opener to, what is suppose to be a happy day. Second song was a better fit. I enjoy it, but personally, I would have used a different style of music.

Pan and Zoom. A lot of people here don't care too much for them. I have learned in my short amount of time here that simple is sometimes better. There are certain photos that deserve a pan or zoom or both, to bring attention to a specific part of the photo, but for most of them, it is probably better to leave them be. I always felt that in order to make it seem better there had to be a lot of movement. After viewing many slide shows here, I finally understood what everyone was talking about. Most of them are professionals and know what they are talking about. Try and view some of the other wedding shows and read the comments. Take what you need from them and forget the rest.

This turned into a longer post than what I had intended. Nonetheless, I like all parts of your show, maybe just not together. I'm probably wrong, I usually am. (quote from scotts wife about scott :) )

My 3 cents.

Scott

pixmike

Postby pixmike » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:08 pm

Hi AKPE,

First, the flowers; Very good pictures, great angle shots. The opening is your show is simple but good...

The pot; Like my friends all said, to much, way too much zooming and panning. Transition time should be longer, and the music, well, should be something else. Good music, but not suited for that kind of "event", UNLESS THEY wanted it that way. The addition of some background or shadows, in the EDITING section, could improve it also. My humble opinion, the show is too fast, and not "filled" with love and tenderness...

If it's your first real try with Proshow, well it's a good start, you're on the way, but you will need to put more time and check some shows that are posted here, you'll learn many tricks and, important, how to "set" a winner mood. I hope I was not too hard on you lol! Keep up the work, you won't regret it...

Regards,
Mike

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:22 am

AKPE,

Nice start for your first wedding show. I agree with the others here. Try reducing the zooming in/out or panning by about half at least and see. The effects should compliment the images with a purpose, not compete with them. Simple is can be better. Use enough movement to keep viewer's attention but not too much as it can be a distraction to the eye.

Don't feel bad, I have gone back to look at my first couple of shows and I did so much worse. I can't believe how much I zoomed into some of the photos in those shows! :shock: I think just about every newbie does this kind of thing. :D

So lets see more soon!

Debbie

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

From a wedding photographer

Postby alcain » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:18 am

Akpe,

Surprisingly, even though it is not 'traditional' wedding music, it didn't seem that bad to me. Was there a special reason for choosing this song? (The first song). The second song, even though non-traditional as well, seemed to fit the ethnicity and joyful mood of the show. I would however, crossfade all of the musical pieces if you choose to keep them in the show. Maybe if you were to fine tune the pans and zooms and keep this show "as is" and create another more 'traditional' version.

About the pans and zooms. Less really IS more. There are reasons for each type of image movement. Most (if not all) of your zoom in's worked because they bring attention to the item (or person) being zoomed in to. Most of your zoom out's didn't work because of the reverse ideology. If i were to be given the job of editing this show, I might choose to keep the soundtrack 'as is' and fine tune the zooms like this: The zoom in's - less zoom (just bring the image closer a little bit - not so much as you have done). The zoom out's: make most of these a static image (some you could pan a bit - slowly).

The photography is excellent. Darker skinned people are very difficult to expose for, and you have done a superb job of exposure control. (This is not a racist comment - technically, all cameras try to average the photograph to 18% grey which is very close to caucasion skin, giving easier exposure controls. Dark skin means the photographer must make more decisions pertaining to the photographic lighting and exposure. Akpe has a wonderful eye for exposing dark skin tones very well)

Many of the users here will be confused about my "posative" review of this show. But you have stepped out of the box and I aplaud you for doing so. It is a very different approach for presenting a wedding celebration. I would be very interested in hearing the response from the bride and groom about this version. If they seem unsure, then you could offer a more 'traditional' approach to the show. Over all, I enjoyed the presentation and I hope to see more of your work.

Blessings, ~al

ps: All of you should check out the link to his wedding shots - very nice photography.
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby HunnyB » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:52 pm

The pictures were great. The zooming and panning wasn't too bad. And who am I to
judge that - I'm sure some on here think I buzz around too much.
The music was good. And if the couple likes it - hey that is what matters most.
Not what we think.
To me, it wasn't "traditional wedding music" --- more like something I would love
to use with a "safari vacation" show.
But that is only my OPINION.
Your show was great and I bet the happy couple LOVED it.

It's Saturday afternoon, hubby is bushogging--- I think I need wine.....!!!!!
HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

lisco

Re: From a wedding photographer

Postby lisco » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:27 pm

alcain wrote:
.... you have stepped out of the box and I aplaud you for doing so. It is a very different approach for presenting a wedding celebration. ....................................... Over all, I enjoyed the presentation and I hope to see more of your work.

Blessings, ~al

Akpe-

I agree with most of what Al had to say, but I really agree with this part. Looking back at my own post, I meant to and should have said something along the same lines. Thank you Al for stepping up and doing this for the rest of us.

Scott

akpe

Postby akpe » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:01 pm

EDITED

MY APOLOGIES FOR TYPING TEXT MESSAGING STYLE

I really want to thank everyone of you for taking the time to view my slideshow and for your wonderful encouragement.
That was my first ever wedding shoot, and at the time i did the slideshow (one year ago) i hadn't really seen anything like it elsewhere, i just read about proshow gold in a magazing & decided to experiment and see what i can achieve.
The couple and their families were so impress with it that they ordered so many slideshow dvd's because all they were expecting was just the album.

I just found out about this this forum few days ago and i am hoping to learn alot from u guys.
Once again i really, really want to thank everyone of you for your comments, encouragement and advise on what to do and what not to do. everything that you all said would definitly be taking into consideration.

Akpe
Last edited by akpe on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jerry Cole » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:25 pm

Hello again Akpe,
Just wanted to say that I just viewed your website and WOW! I think you can teach us all much about Photography. Your on-line portfolio is amazing. One can only imagine how good the prints are! THANK YOU for placing the link to your site ... you have a big fan in San Diego!

Awesome,
Jer
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

You are with friends now

Postby alcain » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:28 pm

Akpe. You will do well by joining this group of fine artists and producers. We are here to help. One small comment about your texting style. You use a lot of abbreviations and text shortcuts. It makes your comments hard to read. Those are best left to cell phone messages where typing is cumbersome. If you are able to do so, typing the full words would show respect for the users reading your comments. But then again, you may have a very good reason for the shortcuts, and I respect that.

Keep those shows coming. That is how you learn.

Blessings, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback