Practice and Learn

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

Practice and Learn

Postby ivalirene » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:47 pm

I was just taking a walk down memory lane and looking back at some of my first shows. I loved the photos in this show- taking a nostalgic look at the earlier days of this country. However, I cannot believe the number of different transitions I used... A great example of what not to do! Doesn't that make you want to look? LOL
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 2847&alb=0

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Practice and Learn

Postby stickgirl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:50 am

ivalirene wrote: However, I cannot believe the number of different transitions I used... A great example of what not to do! Doesn't that make you want to look?

Reminds me of the first one I did - too many transitions and way too much p & z.

Great photos!

Kathy

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:27 am

I know I will be howled down, but I liked your show. Perhaps the rotates shouldn't be there. It is too easy for us to forget what pleasure people get from such a show if they haven't seen this type of thing before. For them, the p's and z's are part of the entertainment.
Shaker

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Perfect example

Postby alcain » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:47 pm

Here is a perfect example of "different strokes for different folks". When you made this show, I am sure that you were really proud of it. It really isn't as bad as you led us to believe. My changes would be to: In an old style show, crossfades are best. I personally, dislike Kenny G, so of course I didn't care for the music - but he is quite popular so I am alone on this one. I think this show might be really cool if you were to convert quite a few of the images to black and white. we would wonder if they are old photos or recent ones... But, like Shaker - I did find myself enjoying this show. Blessings, ~al

----------------------
Notice: This review / comment / critique of your show is strictly my own personal opinion. I may visualize this show one way, and someone else will see it in an entirely different light. My comments and suggestions are only thoughts of how I might have done it differently, and are by no means, a statement of dislike for your work. You probably have a good reason for doing the show the way you did, and I respect and honor that. Take my comments and suggestions with a grain of salt. If I have made a suggestion that you can use, then my review will be of some value. If I have made a suggestion that you do not agree with, then please disregard this review. My only intent in reviewing shows on this user group is to provide users with another view / insight / and opinion. That’s what user groups are for. Please do not take this review personally, we are professionals and as such, are above petty bickering. Thank you for taking the time to read this review, and I thank you for sharing your work with all of us.
AB Cain
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:10 pm

I agree -- it isn't bad.

But you are right about the too much motion and the transitions in some cases are distracting. That said, the photography is good, the idea is good and it could be turned into something special with some straightforward changes, wouldn't be easy, or quick, but I think it would be worthwhile. If you do revisit it, post that one in this thread too--it might well serve as a "less-is-better" lesson to remind all of us.

While I like Kenny G okay, I'd choose something with a bit more of the outdoorsy and/or western flavor to help reinforce the feeling you seem to be trying to evoke with the images.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

OK by me

Postby pianopipeman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:28 am

Loved the show/photo's.
Sometimes I think we can be too critical of transitions, p&z, etc. They are all part of the fun of this art form.
Very evocative of an era and location that are totally alien to me but nicely done.
Nice one!

Ken

may do

Postby ivalirene » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks for the nice comments on the photos and for your varying opinions. I may just redo this show as I love all the memories the photos evoke. I was lucky enough to spend a couple of years criss-crossing the US and the photos are from various places coast to coast. Have more to add as well. Thanks again for your comments will reconsider music and be more moderate with p&z and transitions.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:28 pm

They had an interesting segment on Digital Juice a while back discussing
transitions and edits. The point they made, which made sense to me,
YMMV :D , was that in general unless the transition is supposed to attract
attention, they should be essentially invisible - they should not distract from
the flow of the show in the mind of the watcher. They went into more
detail on what types of transitions were typically used (this was for video,
but much applies here also) for what purpose - a cut implies a different view
but still in the same location/time, a fade implies a passage of time, the
"ripple effect" implies sleep/dreaming etc. Their point was that people are
used to what those transitions mean in the movies they watch and using
them different is similar to shifting gears without using the clutch for
the brain in many cases.

Just my $0.02 - taxes etc = $0.00000000 :?

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Good point

Postby alcain » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Mikey, I always get so much from your comments. Thanks! ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby ivalirene » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:04 pm

Mikey,

Thanks for that explanation. BTW, what does YMMV? Guessing Your ______ May Vary?

YMMV

Postby alcain » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:11 pm

YMMV - your mileage may vary. An acronym often used in email and postings, this disclaimer removes any sense of endorsement from a claim the writer has made.

~al

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Yep - Your Milage May Vary :D

If you are interested in seeing the quicktime segment I am talking
about (about 8 minutes if I remember correctly), here is the link

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/segmen ... sp?sid=167

Worth the time watching (also a lot of their other segments apply
to the stuff we are doing here as well).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback