New show - It's a Butterfly's Life

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

New show - It's a Butterfly's Life

Postby Papaling » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:26 pm

I have just finished my 2nd show. It is about butterflies that I have observed in my backyard and during my travels to Costa Rica and Thailand. I welcome any any comments or criticism. Upon further review, I will probably tweak the show one final time. The running time is 10 min 42 sec and it is best viewed in full screen mode. There are a lot captions , some maybe difficult to see.
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7864&alb=0
life is a learning experience

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

My thoughts

Postby alcain » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 am

Papaling,

Nice photography!
Somehow, for me, the music didn't fit the show... the second song was better than the first, though - more bold and lively.
This is unusual for me to say this but... with butterflies, you can get away with more pans and zooms - you can add more.
If you were to sync the slide timing very close to the music, the effect would be breathtaking.
I saw the common names and the species names, but what about if you added some points of interest as well - something unique and interesting about some of the butterflies...
I guess the main point is that the show lacks an "artistic" quality - it is more like looking at a butterfly book while listening to symphonic music in the background - nothing to "wow" the audience.
The end came rather abruptly for me.
You are off to a good start, now see if you can make it more romantically artistic...

Blessings, ~al

P.S. Although it is a very different type of show, here is one of my older ones that contains butterflies with the slides set very specifically to the music. (Butterflies and Grasshoppers!)... http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 5081&alb=0
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

alaskaninexile

Postby alaskaninexile » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:20 pm

Papaling,
Enjoyable show. Well paced. Beautiful photos. Nice intermix of a few nature scenes to add variety. Since you asked for comments/criticisms, the following are a couple suggestions that would have made what is already an enjoyable show, even more satisfying.
1. Agree with alcain - ending seemed abrupt, rather than smooth, although the lead-up to it with several layers was a good way to approach the finish line.
2. Transitions - Was nice to see that show mostly used fades to move from one slide to the next. However, it seemed like you wanted to create a little variety now and then by using a different type of transition - also a good idea. The only critique is that you seemed to force the non-fade transitions without forethought as to where a non-fade transition might be appropriate or what the appropriate non-fade transition to use might be. For example you used several 'circle' transitions at locations where they distracted rather than enhanced. There are over 250 PSG transitions and it can be lots of fun experimenting with which one gives the nicest accent occasionally when you're triyng to keep the viewer's interest - the key is picking your spots and examining transition options to see what transition can bring added interest either to the photo you're leaving or the one you're bringing in.
3. Captions - Lots of positives. Including the Common and Species names was appreciated. Also the consistency of using similar font sizes and styles for the commen names and generally white itaIics for the species name was also a good idea. Having the species name momentarily lag the common name was also a nice touch. However,I found it distracting to have the names always panning up from the botttom and land in places where the contrast wasn't always the best. Perhaps if you'd had the names fade in and out instead, and variably located them and colored them in locations that provided better contrast and complemented the colors in the photos but located them in relatively 'quiet' areas of the photo, the viewing experience would have been enhanced.
In spite of quibbles above, still thought the show was very well done - especially for a second show. Hope to see more.
Alaskan in Exile

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback