40th Birthday

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

40th Birthday

Postby jeanc » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Thought I would share a show I did for my stepson's birthday. His mother sent us a box of photos and my husband selected the ones he wanted to use. Some of them were in real bad shape and I did the best I could with them. Some took a lot of restoration but still aren't all that good. But these are the ones my husband wanted to use. All in all I think we got a good representation of his life.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=137524

Smiles,
Jean
Last edited by jeanc on Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby 57Corvette » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:17 am

Jean,

This is a very nice show for your step son ...... great use of backgrounds and masks. While some of the photos weren't perfect, they weren't that bad either .......... nice job, I know he's going to love it.

Bob
Nikon D80
ProShow Producer
CS3 Extended
Paint Shop Pro xi

Postby jeanc » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:20 am

Thanks, Bob. I forgot to mention this was also a very rushed job. My husband organized the photos and scanned them (the early years) and I had a couple of days to get it done. I had an end of year show I had to finish and print 80 DVDs and cases and between that and this birthday show I did a memorial show. Late night hours and wasn't really ready to let go but did get it to him ON his birthday back in May. And yes, he did love it and I burned it in PAL for them to take to England last month for our daughter-in-law's family to see. This is bringing about more shows to do. They loved it, too.

I appreciate you taking the time to watch and always your input.

Smiles,
Jean

Ann Coulter

Postby Ann Coulter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:58 pm

Jean, This was a beautiful show. When you say it was a rushed job, I now know how much I have to strive for. After I have watched several shows I see one common theme. The person creating the show does it from the heart. No matter what the event/ person/ place being celebrated in picture/ music. And no matter what effects are used the sincere feelings show through. I'm glad your step-son enjoyed it. There was no doubt it would be a hit. Isn't it funny how all our kids get older and we don't. As I age I take great pleasure in creating these shows for my family and future generations, as I'm sure you do also. Congratulations on a great show! Ann

Thanks Ann

Postby jeanc » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:56 pm

Ann, thank you for taking the time to watch and for your kind comments. I agree with you about the the people in this family creating shows from the heart and the sincere feelings showing through. We are all at different levels when it comes to building the show, but yet I know I can tune in and pick up on a person's heart and soul in their work. And isn't it wonderful to have true friends and a "family" we've never met to help us through the learning curves? The constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated which helps us to grow and do better work.

Your comment about "our kids getting older - and we don't" - made me chuckle ..... my oldest will be 38 next month. I tell him in a couple of years he is going to be older than I am!

Yes, I do take GREAT pleasure in creating these for my family and future generations just as you and many others here do. I just pray as technology continues to change, my family will convert some of the most meaningful shows into whatever it is will be available at that time.

Actually this show was very close to my heart. It is too long to get into but my husband and I were engaged when I was 17 and he 20. Due to family interference over religion we broke up 2 weeks before our wedding and it was the most traumatic emotional pain either of us has ever experienced. After no contact for 28 years we found each other and have been married now for 15 years next month. My 1st marriage had ended 12years before we got together and his had been over for a number of years. We have 8 children between us .... 3 mine and 5 his and 17 grandchildren. You can probably figure out why doing this show for my step-son was so special!! He was born 3 years after his Dad and I had broken up.

I am working on a show of my husband's and my 1st meeting and incorporating a bunch of old small Polaroids that he had sent to me when we were engaged (He was active duty with the Navy at the time). I sent these back to him when we broke up because I knew I couldn't possibly get on with my life if I had these reminders around. He kept them and they mean the world to both of us. We just wish we had the letters we had written each other during that time! Interesting thing, when we met my step-son's ship in Norfolk (some photos in his show) the ship came in to the same pier where my husband's ship would come in. He also showed me the phone booths (still there) where he would call me (Texas) from, and where he spent one whole pay check on one call!

Sorry I turned this response into a short novel! :roll: If you didn't give up sentences ago and quit reading this post, I hope I didn't bore you ...................

I look forward to seeing more of your "heart and soul"!

Thanks again for your kind remarks,
Jean

BethS

Bravo

Postby BethS » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Jean,

What I great show. I watched the whole thing and was just mesmerized (is the spelled right?) by your choice of music. It was really nice to watch him grow up and to watch his kids. How can he not love this? I felt your heart as I watched and now after reading your story I feel it even more. My mom reconnected with her high school sweetheart about 2 or 3 years after my beloved daddy died. They had been married for almost 37 years.

I think my favorite part of the show was the school pictures. It looked like you set that up and took a picture. Is that right? I may have to borrow the idea if you don't mind. I want to make a 70th birthday slide show for my mom's next birthday and think that would be a cool idea using some really old photos. Anyway, your show was wonderful to watch.

Beth

Thanks Beth

Postby jeanc » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:21 pm

I so appreciate your kind comments and it especially makes me happy to hear that an "outsider" was touched by his show. I realize we all have different styles and ideas about what looks and feels good. There will probably shows we do not like ......... but I know "that is ok". This is what makes the world such a beautiful place!

How neat to hear of your Mom reconnecting and that you can be happy for her. All of our children are so wonderful about our relationship. I know sometimes in these situations people are not so lucky.

The school pictures were done in Adobe Photoshop elements. It is a bit on pricey side but there are free programs you can use. My husband has GIMP which I understand is basically the same as Adobe. It is a "free" download. I also have PrintShop PROPUBLISHER 21 that I got "free" a few months ago through Nothing But Software http://nothingbutsoftware.com/ . All I paid was shipping. If you sign up for their email, they run specials like that a lot. They have just about anything you could ever want and have some awesome deals.

Smiles,
Jean

BethS

Hey

Postby BethS » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:44 pm

Hi Jean,

I realized that with all of the graphics programs I have I don't really need to invest in photoshop. I even figured out how to make my own masks in Power point. I did a series called 4 square. If you want to see it (use it) you can try it out and tell me if it actually works. There are 13 frames in the set that I have to attach to the email individually. My computer does not like to send zip files for some reason. I would need an actual email I think in oder to send them. I don't think there is a way to attach them here.

Beth

sail978

Postby sail978 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:07 pm

What a lovely show! And very well done.

The only thing I would take out is the picture of Tim's head in the birth announcement. It looked a little weird.

Ann Coulter

Not bored

Postby Ann Coulter » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:21 pm

Jean, I found your story very touching. It's wonderful you both found your way back to each other. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I'm sure you both had many painful moments apart, and getting back together would be that much more precious. I am replying back because I also have a mixed family. 2-mine,-5-his, and 1 hers that we have always felt was ours. 5 and soon 6 grandkids. I am very greatful to find this "family". My family "proper" have now all passed away. When I find myself @ a low I start scanning and creating shows for my kids. The feedback is always appreciated and taken to heart. I created a Memorial show for my sister who passed in March, and it really helped the healing process. It also helped me reconnect with a neice and nephew that I have missed for years. Continue your great work. I appreciate the info you gave. I only use paint.net that is very limited.I will definitely try your suggestions. Ann

Beth

Postby jeanc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:59 pm

Hi Beth,

I sent you a private message.

Jean

Thanks sail978

Postby jeanc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:02 pm

sail978 wrote:What a lovely show! And very well done.

The only thing I would take out is the picture of Tim's head in the birth announcement. It looked a little weird.

I appreciate you watching, your compliments, and your comment. My husband says, "The head stays. It was in the announcement." :roll:

Smiles,
Jean

Re: Not bored

Postby jeanc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:11 pm

Ann, glad I didn't bore you! Your house gets full a lot of times, too. Do they all live close? We have 3 families that live about 6 hours from us. The others are all within 30 minutes or so. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is never easy to say "goodbye" to a loved one. Glad to hear you have reconnected with your niece and nephew.

I look forward to seeing more of your shows.

Smiles,
Jean

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby Brenda » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:56 am

Hi Jean,

Great show, held my interest all the way through, loved your choice of music. Well done

Brenda

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Jean and Ann

Postby alcain » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:17 am

Jean, **** (Four Stars) ^^^^ (Four Thumbs Up) Nicely done. I could not have done better. ~al

Ann,
"After I have watched several shows I see one common theme. The person creating the show does it from the heart. No matter what the event/ person/ place being celebrated in picture/ music. And no matter what effects are used the sincere feelings show through."

You are so right, this is the only way to make a show. Even my show about people I never knew, "Titanic" (A major re-make is coming along) came from my heart. Some of the songs took literally DAYS of searching to find the one I wanted in that particular segment. But even "rush jobs" can come from the heart when love is guiding our every move...

Blessings to you both, al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Next

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback