Dad Through The Years

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Valued Member

Dad Through The Years

Postby lindonalta » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Working on a show for my 89 year old dad. I know some photos are poor quality but I did my best to touch them up the best I know how - alot were from slides - and couldnt get rid of red eye in some (for whatever reason). I know the second song In The Mood has a fast pace but it is one of his favorite songs and one he plays on the organ all the time - so I had to use it. I'm still not sure on my song choice for 3rd show by the Judds, but it does fit with the pictures at the end of my dads grandkids, and greatgrand kids. I also allowed a wee bit more time on slides with captions so Dad could read easily.

I might get slammed for this thought: That I would have a headstart on a "Memorial" show, with some changes, but alot easier to do now before the fact, than after, in my opinion. Dad at this point is pretty healthy... but ya never know.....

Comments on how to improve are welcome.

http://www.photodex.com/share/lindonalta/9b94cmg4

Made changes to show for the 2nd song - with different transitions and time as suggested by Iris. Not to sure about it yet - seems a little "busy" to me. I do agree that original show seems slow to the tempo of the 2nd song - I just may end up changing that song although I really would like that song. Not sure yet.

Amended show: http://www.photodex.com/share/lindonalta/xdw4cmg4
Last edited by lindonalta on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Dad Through The Years

Postby Loren Sutherland » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi Linda.

Have tried to view your show but have not been able to. Every time I try it goes to the buffering window then gradually increases the time to where it says it will take over 3 hours to download the show. Has anyone else reportedthat issue?

Loren Sutherland

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Loren, no have not had anyone else report an issue like yours. My sister viewed it and it hiccuped here and there for her with jerks, etc. but she thought it was her computer. I did have a very frustrating time getting it uploaded and I did view it after upload myself with no problems showing. Not sure what the problem could be but I know myself when trying to view others shows I have learned to do that in the daytime hours and not the busy after work hours - after work hours I always had a problem with buffering, etc. also.

Postby Loren Sutherland » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Was able to get it to download in just a few seconds when I opened it from the photodex site, by then just didn't have time to watch it. It's just from the link here on PS Enthusiasts that I have had the problem. Tried several times during different parts of the day. Hope to get a chance to sit and watch it later, it sounds very interesting.

Loren

Postby trulytango » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:23 am

Hi there

I caught your show this morning... it did take a few minutes to download, but that's to be expected with a show in exces of 130MB - I'm not sure why it is so big, as I didn't see much video in there apart from a couple of transitions that contain small avi files.

I enjoyed the show, your Dad looks amazing for his age and it's just great to see he has had such a long, happy and healthy retirement! I liked the opening section with its album feel - the only improvement I could suggest for that would be to add some colour to the page curl transition so that it matches the background you used... I was going to suggest you PM me to learn how to do it, but I see you are using Gold and won't be able to tweak Photodex's original transition, nor import anything I could send to you as I use Producer.

I liked the music choices. Although the 2nd track is faster than the 1st one, and I understand you wanting to display the pictures for a decent amount of time, I think you could make that part a little snappier by simply shortening the transition times between the slides or maybe using a different one - I'm afraid I can't suggest one as I have no idea what the range of transitions built into Gold comprises, but I think the slow AB fade doesn't quite suit the pace of 'In the Mood'. IMHO well chosen transitions are a great way to add movement to an otherwise static show.

I made a similar show for my Dad a couple of years ago - it was for Father's Day in the year of his 55th wedding anniversary. I kept it upbeat, in fact I used 'In the Mood' too... and he loved every minute of it! If you can put together a show containing someone's life in pictures, what better gift? And yes, when that person eventually leaves us, It's a fitting memorial... pre-approved!

Iris :D
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:22 am

Iris thanks for taking the time to watch. As suggested I have been playing with different transitions and shortening the time, and it does snap up the show with the tempo of In The Mood song. I just have to avoid too much movement now and Im working on that. Thank you for the suggestion.
Dads favorite comment these days: " I've been retired more years than I worked and making his pension plan pay" - not too many people can say that!!
Linda

Valued Member

Postby V.B. » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi Linda,

I watched your show and really enjoyed it. It only took a few seconds to download. I actually watched both versions. I didn’t realize there were two, until I scrolled to the bottom of your post. I liked the second version best and agree with the suggestions made by Iris.

It looks like you had a lot of great photos at your disposal. I always like the old B&W ones used in these types of shows. It was nice you were able to include photos showing your Dad doing some of the things he enjoys, or things he participated in when he was younger, like music, sports, fishing & hunting ... etc. Including info on his family, work and such, was good, too. The music worked for me, especially the last piece by the Judds.

I think getting a headstart on a “Memorial” show is a good idea. I lost my Dad earlier this year. He passed away unexpectedly and in the week we had to make all the final arrangements, I wouldn’t have had time, let alone be able to concentrate on putting a show like this together.

I noticed your Dad served in the Armed Forces during WWII. Today is Remembrance Day in Canada and Veterans Day in the U.S. I’m sure everyone here would like to express their gratitude to him. We owe a lot to people like your Dad, that’s for sure. Thanks for sharing your show!

Vic B.

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Vic:

Thank you for taking the time to watch my show - especially both versions. I'm still playing with the second version and the 2nd song choice to a song by the Statler Bros which is a slower pace than In the Mood and wee bit slower transitions. My shows are simple, and I dont like a bunch of stuff flying all over the place, concentrating on the photos and I think my new song choice just might be the answer (but Im not going to post a third version!!)

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father and for the thumbs up for my headstart on a memorial show. I made my memorial show for my Mother, 5 years after she passed, and even then I found it very, very difficult.

Thanks again for watching.
Linda

Postby debngar » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:33 pm

For what it's worth - if a computer trying to load a ProShow Presenter version of the show is connected via wireless router (not hardwired to the internet) the loading time can be significantly S L O W E R !

It's even worse or may not load at all if it's been a couple of years since buying the router and the connection is via wireless because the router may be going out. My experience has been that a show may eventually load but take a very very long time, or else it may not load at all. For me this was a sign that it may be time to buy a new Router as it's happened to me more than once. First thing to be affected seems to be the wireless connection's ability to load/view Presenter versions of slide shows. Eventually it developes into having no wireless internet connection at all, no email, web access, nothing.

Internet access with a laptop directly hardwired through the router to the wall worked ok. But my newer desktop computer in the other room would not load shows and eventually couldn't access the internet at all.

I replaced my old wireless router with a new one today. Now both computers work just fine as they should (at least for another couple of years). Hooray for that! :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby debngar » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Nice tribute. If the show is somewhat finished, all it needs at the end is to fade the last note at a good spot rather than cut out abruptly. These are hard projects to compile. It's a lot of work (a labor of love though) to find the right music and display the pictures just the way you want them. Good luck with your show.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback