Ice Flowers

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Esteemed Member

Ice Flowers

Postby smunited » Sun May 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi Everyone, I have been experimenting with photographing flowers frozen in ice. There is nothing offensive. Would love your input, good or bad... the show is 4 minutes long.

Tweeked my show a bit. Here is the new link.

http://www.photodex.com/share/SFiedler/482w9mg4
Last edited by smunited on Wed May 04, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ice Flowers

Postby Bart_B » Sun May 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Sandra,

I was sitting here at my computer when I saw your post pop up. I have quickly discovered that your shows are imaginative and captivating. I couldn't wait to see it as I opened the show. You did not disappoint me. This show absolutely stirred me to the core. First just the sheer imagination behind your gorgeous photography, what an idea and who would have thought?? Then your use of music, texture, color, style, transition and motion with exquisite timing absolutely enthralled me. I have made a lot of shows, I've watched countless more............this work of yours stirred my senses, emotions and captured my imagination more than any other I've seen. Wow! You have come so far so fast in your short journey and I cant wait for what's next.

Thank you for sharing your work.

Bart

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Sun May 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Bart, you are making me blush! And that's something for someone of a certain age... Thank you so much. Your opinion means the world to me. I really had fun with this show... it was fun to fool around with something so abstract... it was actually a show I watched on producer that gave me the idea... a fellow (I think) took photographs of things around the house on his scanner, and then made a show. I'm not sure how I made the leap, but I did! The music just seemed "right". I usually use my husband Id's music, and I did start with his song "Beaches", but I just felt the need for something alittle more obscure. The music I am normally drawn to is lyrically based, but a few years ago we stumbled on to this fellow, and have just fallen in love... even though I don't know a thing he is singing there is a longing, and depth of emotion that just reaches inside me...

Oh well, here I am rambling... thank you, thank you, thank you. Sandra

Postby Bart_B » Sun May 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Sandra,

When you get to my age it's a wonderful thing to be still able to make a girl blush :D

And you are right about the music, it to a great deal is due to the purity of his voice.

Bart

Postby TC Time » Mon May 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Sandra
This truly is a nice piece of art. The title lured me in as it seems like such a contrast ~ ice & flowers~ hmmm! Your photography and creativity are amazing and inspiring. One thing I saw, as far as your show goes,is the purple flower slide at about 1:40 or so. Visually the all black background interrupted the flow for me. It seemed as if this slide was in the wrong ratio compared to the others. I would recommend using a duplicate flower layer over the black background and lighten the opacity to give the contrast it screams for but in a softer tone...if that makes sense.
When I saw the reflective white slide towards the end, I thought, that's just what is needed in black for this particular photo. Might be a slide style that can't be altered though.
Thanks for sharing!
~TC
TCTime

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Mon May 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for watching TC, and for your comments. I watched the show again, and I can see your point. I will have to fool around a bit and see what I can come up with. Most of the photo's in the show take up the full screen and these two slides don't.

Now, I am a bit confused... did you like the reflective slide near the end? Or think it needed to be modified? If you could give me a bit more direction that would be great.

This is exactly what I want, good feedback on my show!!! You get such a narrow perspective on your own show, especially towards the end when you are just so excited about sharing it!!!

Sandra

Postby TC Time » Mon May 02, 2011 2:51 pm

I did like the reflective slide :) I was trying to suggest a style like that for the purple flower. I like the black contrast though and am not sure the white slide style can be altered, or even work, with black. It might be worth a try :wink:
TC
TCTime

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Mon May 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks TC, I am going to play around a bit. I am off to my photography group for the evening but already have some idea's... will post my revision's some time tomorrow.

S

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Mon May 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Wow, what fantastic photography and such an innovative idea to freeze flowers. Loved your show, it was just what I needed to relax for awhile after spending hours restoring my files after a computer crash.

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Tue May 03, 2011 7:10 am

Hi Lindonalta, glad I could help you relax... and it is my worst nightmare to have my system crash!!! Hope you got everything back.

Sandra

Valued Member

Postby V.B. » Tue May 03, 2011 10:26 am

Hi Sandra,

I really enjoyed watching your show and found it relaxing, too. Neat idea to photograph frozen flowers. I think I’ve said this before, but your photography is excellent. I liked your audio in the thumbnail/menu page, where you explain how your produced your photos. Yet another neat idea. I thought all the transitions worked very well with your photos, and that the music suited your show perfectly. Well done!

-Vic B.

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks for watching Vic... I'm glad someone mentioned the audio in the menu section... I really want to use some narration in my shows... so I am easing into it. I think it could be nice to "hear" somethings instead of reading text on the screen... again that bridge between still photography and film. I used google translate if you can believe it. I just typed the words in and then recorded the electronic voice.

The photography was a really fun thing to do... the photography club I belong to has some really innovative people in it. They take pictures reflected in mylar, and through bottles etc... it gets your mind going. I have taken some wild pictures using saran wrap, and holding a magnifying glass in front of my camera...

Thanks again for watching, Sandra

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Tue May 03, 2011 11:02 am

Sandra,

Excellent job and a creative idea. I especially loved your closing images. One way to avoid the toughest part of doing close-up flower photography (movement) is to freeze them. I guess you didn't have to worry about them blowin' in the wind.

Did you photograph out in the cold or bring them inside and have to work quickly ? What was your light source ?
Is your magnification greater than 1:1 ?

The music was interesting and your slide styles (built-in or created) were quite nice.

Jim

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Tue May 03, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks Jim for watching... I literally froze flowers in tupperware... some fully submerged, some just barely covered.. (I popped them out to shot) I have a little lightbox (only about 6 by 8 inches). It has a slant so was a little cumbersome... I had to use things to prop the frozen ice in place.

I'm not sure what the ratio is... I know that is a macro thing. It is one of the categories in the photography group I belong to... but I am not well versed in the medium. I used my Sigma 17-70mm lens 1:2.8-4.5 if that helps... I hand held some of the shots, but also used my tripod and shutter release cable on others. I don't really know what I used for what.... I probably took over 800 shots... I just played... I shot at varying stages of melting...

Thanks for mentioning my closing images... those were my absolute favorites.. I took one of the images and blurred it in Filter Forge (a Photoshop plug-in)... I wanted to give the illusion of rippling water... I am most proud of this transition...

Thanks, Sandra

ps expect another show some day... I have experimented with many other things as well!

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback