Written in Stone - Cemetaries - Revised Menu

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Esteemed Member

Written in Stone - Cemetaries - Revised Menu

Postby smunited » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Have gone in and tightened up the time and worked with the captions some more. Just taken what I have learned since first doing this show to fix some of the background issues etc.

http://www.photodex.com/share/SFiedler/d29c9mg4

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

Sandra
Last edited by smunited on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Cemetaries

Postby pd » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:22 am

Hi Sandra,

The title sort of puts me off. It is not something which arouses my interest. Hit the button and got hooked. What got me first was the music. Minimalistic and yet so effecective. Also the first picture was very effective. What follows are a series of interesting and good photos and powerful captions.
Here I think you could have made them even more effective especially where two lines are involved. I would not reveal both at the same time but let the first line in and pause for effect. Then follow up with the rest of your statement. You have ample music time to play with this without disturbing the ambience.
I would also move the single captions to the left and further up. That way the following photo takes centre stage. Nice of you to give credit to whom is helping you. you make a good team. I think you have reached a level where you have to say goodbye to Gold and go for Producer. Excellent music choice
pd
regards.
pd

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:21 am

Thanks PD, I appreciate your comments. Especially about the title. The idea is to draw people in, and if your title scares them off you are in trouble. I will play with this in my head... Maybe something more to do with the All on the Path... The Path of Life... Journey we are all On...

Also thanks for the idea's about the captions. It is the first time I have used them. I will play around with your idea's.

Sandra

ps I am planning on buying Producer early May.

Postby debngar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:39 am

Sandra,

Like Pd, I was first put off by the title. It didn't grab me. But I'm glad I took the time to watch your show!

Plenty of times I struggle with thinking up a good title too. Let it sit a few more days and maybe something will come to mind.

I liked the concept, overall theme and how you presented it in general. It was a tiny bit slow at times but am not sure if that could be helped or not. I liked the layered images throughout.

Did you happen to try using the title font for the captions throughout? I liked the title font but then it changed to the serifed font and it didn't seem to go with the show at that point. Just wondering what that might look/feel like if the captions were the same as the title font.

I agree with Pd's idea of a different way to present the captions. That's more work to do with Gold in that the caption features are limiting you with timing. To accomplish that with Gold the user is forced to duplicate slides just to introduce the next caption line. :( Once you get Producer, you can stretch out the timing of the caption fly-in time and that opens up a lot more options. The fade down fly in with a long transition-in time is really effective in the right situations. You may not understand that exactly until you get Producer but you will once you get it and figure it out. :D

This is a bit of a nit pick - it would be great to see a menu/show picture. A choice image from the show for the thumbnail makes it all the more appealing to get someone to click on and watch. You have some wonderful shots to choose from! :) But if you haven't figured out the menu features, I understand. It took me a while to figure that out too. :roll:

Neat imagery throughout - loved the "pathways" and music fit the theme of show really well! Nice work!

That said, I enjoyed the show and if you're doing this with GOLD, my goodness....I'm looking forward to what you will be able to do with Producer!
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks Debbie, I am sending your reply to my husband! I really liked the font I used in the title as well. He thought it was to showy... to me it was a bit creepy, which I thought went with the show.

I am going to play with the captions and see what I can do.

Thanks for the encouragment and ideas. I am really glad I took the chance and posted. I would not have learned in years what I have learned in the last two weeks.

Sandra

Postby debngar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 am

smunited wrote:Thanks Debbie, I am sending your reply to my husband! I really liked the font I used in the title as well. He thought it was to showy... to me it was a bit creepy, which I thought went with the show.

I am going to play with the captions and see what I can do.

Thanks for the encouragment and ideas. I am really glad I took the chance and posted. I would not have learned in years what I have learned in the last two weeks.

Sandra

You're welcome. If that particular font doesn't work for the rest of the show for some reason, there should be something else out there to choose from with a similar feel. Sounds like you want something legible, maybe a bit rough around the edges, not to make the viewer think of horror, but of the different journeys people take in life and how all physically wind up in the same place at the end of their earthly existence.

On a side note, this sort of begs the question though ...what happens after that and how do you get the viewer to think about that? :roll: :wink:

You'll figure out the font issue thing, I have no doubt.
Last edited by debngar on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby visimp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:49 am

Great show Sandra. I agree with everything said, the title didn't get my inerest, I almost didn't watch but your first slide drew me in and your show kept my attention. So did your transitions, they were interesting and had me wondering what they were revealing. I liked your ending caption!

I didn't find your font creepy at all, I thought it related to the show and pictures.

Well done.

Visimp,

Postby TC Time » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Great work Sandra! I really liked your photos and how you transitioned them...well done. It's kind of odd...the title. But then again, it's the oddity that sparked curiosity that lead me to watch and I was glad I did! :D
Thanks for sharing
TC
TCTime

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Thanks for your comments Visimp and TC... my show started with me taking pictures at local cemeteries... that's where the title came from. When I started to put the show together some interesting things started to take shape and my show grew from there.

I have a lot more photos that show how neglected most cemeteries are. It was striking to me how many of my photos where of long straight paths, and all the stone angels. Before I knew it the show wasn't just about cemetery pictures anymore, it was about the symbolism between the photos and real life. The person who was my mentor through this got me thinking about the story, that's where the captions came from.... so maybe I need a new title!

That will take some time to unfold...

Postby Jerry Cole » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:19 pm

Sandra,
You have received really good input on your really good show ... I agree with most all of the issue raised, but I think your latest comment is the most telling ... I think you have identified the core issue ...the title. Good luck on your quest, There are still a great many things you can do with Gold. Thank you for posting.
Shalom,
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Esteemed Member

Re: Cemetaries - Revised

Postby smunited » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks Jerry, I am having fun. It is great to have others to share your shows with. Plus the input is really invaluable...

Sandra

Postby Bart_B » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:51 am

Hi Sandra,

You're journey has brought you a long way in the short time since your first show. I was taken in by your first show in that I saw what you were trying to do artistically. This time you did it! I am so impressed with your natural talent. You took a mysterious and intense subject, cemeteries. You found and chose music of a very mysterious nature with an inner tension that was quite captivating. From there you played on the mystery and tension in the music with your photography and story line to reveal the mystery layer by layer all the time building on the underlying tension in the music. You teased my eyes, you captured my imagination and you did not overwhelm me with "stuff"!! Truly a job well done. I think you are to be complimented that as a "newbie" the "controversy" has been about the title. Usually the second show controversy is still centered around too many styles, to many transitions, too much of this or too much that!! So it tickles me to see the conversation around the title.

Job well done Sandra, I can't wait to see what's next.

Bart

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:20 am

Bart, thank you so much.... your opinion means the world to me! It is that ability to find someone that "gets" what you are trying to say that makes it all worth while.

Sandra

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Written in Stone - Cemetaries - Revised

Postby Lavina Molnar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:29 pm

The title made me curious! When I realised the theme I was chuffed - I like these places (to walk round!). You did very well with this. It is a nice slow-moving show, brim full of suspense helped tremendously by the soundtrack. You must have put a great deal of thought into building this show. Very well, and tastefully, done.
Vision + Strong Desire + Knowledge + Imagination + Persistence = Success

Esteemed Member

Re: Written in Stone - Cemetaries - Revised

Postby smunited » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Thank you Lavina for taking the time to watch my show. I too love cemetaries... I'm interested in family history and have spent much time wandering in them... But it was interesting to me the story that started to immerge. I took hundreds of pictures and there were so many that showed neglect. And headstones from so long ago I wondered if there was anyone that remembered... and the straight paths everywhere.

I really had alot of input setting me on the right course. I feel like I am getting a feel for how the program can be used... I am really excited for future shows!

Sandra

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback