Garden of Love Removed

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Esteemed Member

Garden of Love Removed

Postby smunited » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Everyone, thanks to all your input I have learned so much... I plan on redoing Garden of Love when I get Producer... until then I encourage you to look at my show "Written in Stone". It is a better reflection of my skills at this point in time...

Sincerely, Sandra

Written in Stone, not offensive to anyone, 5 minutes long...

http://www.photodex.com/share/SFiedler/bb999mg4
Last edited by smunited on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Garden of Love

Postby debngar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:51 pm

smunited wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am posting my show for general feedback. Do you find it interesting, like the music, the tone etc. I am new to this site, and it is the first time I have ever posted. My show does not contain anything that is offensive. It is definately G rated.

I belong to a photo club and we share slide shows once a year. This is one I am considering showing. I have another that I am working on and will post at a latter date. I look forward to your comments.

Sincerely, Sandra

http://www.photodex.com/share/SFiedler/d7d79mg4

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to the forum.

Typically when people first start using ProShow they are fascinated by all the neat effects and put them to use... a lot... sometimes too much. :roll: We've all done that at some time or another - me included. :)

If your goal is to focus on the fancy transition effects, zooming and panning, go for it. But if you wish the viewer to focus more on your images, consider scaling back on the many different transitions and such. Pick a couple of them and stick with them throughout. You can still make use of slide styles and effects. But simpler can often be better. Have a purpose for the movement, use it subtly to draw the viewer's attention to the areas in the photos you want them to see. If there isn't a main focal point, then consider not zooming or panning much, if at all. If you study Ken Burn's work and you can see how he makes best use of subtle zooming and panning.

For your club presentation, pick your absolute best shots (maybe one of each kind of flower) and ease up on the special effects. It will afford more time to enjoy the images than spending the time waiting for the effects to pass. I'm not sure I understood the reason to include that last image on the credit's slide. If that's not yours, you might leave that out. It was confusing to see someone else's work mixed in with yours.

I found the vocals in the music a bit distracting but other people might like the song. That's just my subjective opinion.

I liked your pink flower at 2:23 and the snowy trellis shot at 3:39 - my favorites. :)
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks Debbie, I appreciate the feedback. I really appreciate that you take the time to watch my show and give me such consise feedback. I was expressly trying to use transitions and effects. I like to tell a story with my slide shows... not just showcase my pictures. I would like to check out Ken Burn's. Where would I find some of his shows?

The music is my husband's so I always include a picture of his album cover or art work associated with the show.

Thank you so much, Sandra

Postby debngar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:28 pm

smunited wrote:Thanks Debbie, I appreciate the feedback. I really appreciate that you take the time to watch my show and give me such consise feedback. I was expressly trying to use transitions and effects. I like to tell a story with my slide shows... not just showcase my pictures. I would like to check out Ken Burn's. Where would I find some of his shows?

The music is my husband's so I always include a picture of his album cover or art work associated with the show.

Thank you so much, Sandra

Oh, that explains the other picture then. I see.

Ken Burns is a wonderful documentary film producer/story teller. I love his work and became addicted to making slide shows sometime in 2005, when I first noticed his stuff and the ability to pan and zoom started to become available in slide show software.

If you go to the PBS website and click on some of the preview clips, you might be able to see examples of the famous Ken Burn's style.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/

Take note as to how he handles the motion in still photos in the short preview clips. It's purposeful and not overdone. Some of his documentary films can be viewed via Netflix.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks Debbie, I will watch and learn... that's what I signed up to this forum for... Sandra

Valued Member

Postby visimp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:54 pm

If you enjoy the transitions you can select them to showcase what intrigued you as you took the picture. Using a made up scenario if you had a picture with a branch at top, a flower dangling down and bright leaves below you could use a wipe top to bottom to bring out the changes in colour or circle out to draw attention to the flower only. You have a heart, does the heart transition enhance it (it might not) Spikey flower with a spikey transition, round picture round transition, but it is only by trying them that you can determine if they actually enhance the picture. You have a long pink petal, my choice for that would be a wipe from right to left.

I liked a flower around 1 minute where you zoomed in on an interesting center. I liked your use of image backgrounds. I like pictures of flowers after a rain so I noticed yours.

Visimp

Postby Bart_B » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:49 am

Sandra,

I, in many ways was really quite taken with your work. The music was great, the photography was as well and you are coming at show creation from a very thoughtful, original, artistic perspective. You're using a great deal of the Photodex manufactured styles which tend to be big and full of motion and that's the weak part of the show. Too much big and full motion. It becomes overwhelming fairly fast. I actually most of the time thought you chose transitions well in the context of the music at the moment, the styles employed and the photos. Just that with more visually "tease me" looks and subtle motions you would have found yourself using transitions complimenting that visual effect and the net result would have been even more cool. So my underlying point is use less of the big swooping stuff, use it when you do for emphasis, not as the whole story. You I think are going to be really, really good at this. I first hope you get compulsive obsessive about making and posting more of your work which will propel your learning curve exponentially. Then I would hope to induce you to spend a lot of time looking at bunches of shows that are posted here. That will help you grasp more of what you like and don't like. I also hope you are hooked on this, and if you are and you are in a position to do so, upgrade to Producer. I took the time to snoop around your Photodex page and watch some of your other shows. You really have a very cool and artistic perspective and Producer will give you so much more control and potential for your abilities!!

So thanks for sharing, I truly hope you share more.

Bart

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks Bart! You really made my day. My goal is to come at a slide show in a different and artistic display. Thank you for taking the time to look at some of my other shows as well. I am really inspired from the music first. Then making my pictures work with the music. Maybe more of a music slide show, something that showcases the music even more than my actual pictures!

I have been wondering about upgrading to Producer, and will seriously consider it.

I am working on a show of Cemetary pictures. I am now going to revisit it and try to incorporate some of the suggestions you have all given me. I think that I have gotten so into the music and trying to give my show movement that I need to remember to tell the story!

I plan on spending the day watching other peoples shows. I think that might be a good place to start! As to being obsessive... no need to worry.... I am already there. I love this medium. I think about slide shows day and night!!!

Sandra

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:42 am

Thank you Visimp for taking the time to watch my show. I too love flower in the rain. Glad to see a fellow Canadian on the site. I live in beautiful BC. I look forward to viewing some of your shows. Sandra

Postby Jerry Cole » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Hello Sandra and welcome to the forum,
Although I enjoyed your show, I had much the same reaction as Debbie .... it was more a showcase of what ProShow can do than a vehicle to present your photos. I did enjoy your husbands music. and I generally like movement in shows, but just not to the point that the movement becomes the focus. I think early on we all go through this phase, and that is a good thing.

If you rapidly become familiar with the many variations that are available and have tried them, it will allow you to judiciously select them for your intended purposes in future shows. It was a good effort and I look forward to seeing many more from you. Thanks for posting.
Shalom,
Jer
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks Jerry, thank you for taking the time to watch my show. I joined the forum to grow and learn. Feedback and constructive advice will certainly help me do that. My approach to slide shows is really to explore the idea of movement. The bridge between a still photograph and film. I also have approached it not from the photo's themselves, but more the music... but the one thing I am getting from everyone's comments is that I have gone to far to exploring movement and the music and need to remember the photo's!!!

Thank you so much, I look forward to hearing more from you about future shows I post.

Sincerely, Sandra

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Lavina Molnar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Jolly well done. You have some lovely photos in this, some of your flowers are very beautiful. Personally I like the wonderful transitions we can play with!
Vision + Strong Desire + Knowledge + Imagination + Persistence = Success

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks Lavina for taking the time to look at my show. I really appreciate that you also left a comment right on the Photodex site. I am learning a ton by being on this site. If you are interested please take a look at my other show "Written in Stone". I have taken all the advice and tried to improve my show.

Thanks, Sandra

Postby eastpoint22 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Sandra
generally I loved the show but like some others have mentioned there were too many types of transitions used for my liking and I found the Music interesting but not suited to your floral photographs. Sorry :(

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks Eastpoint22, if you have the time check out my other show "Written in Stone"

http://www.photodex.com/share/SFiedler/md299mg4

Garden of Love was my first posting... I hope I have improved since then.

Sandra

Next

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback