Opinions Needed

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Valued Member

Opinions Needed

Postby mfalco » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 am

I have been given the task to create a slideshow for my wife's father's 90th birthday party. There will be quite a number of people there and I never have done this before. I'v pieced together some pictures I was given and would like your opinions on what I can do to make sure it doesn't bore anyone or make them sick from movement. Please keep it simple because I don't have anything other than Proshow 4 with style pack 1 and little experience with adding effects and transitions. This is only one part of the show I need to make. Of course it's for all ages. Thank you for your imput.

Marty

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 0685&alb=0

Re: Opinions Needed

Postby greengirl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:05 am

Marty, do you have more pictures? I think your slide length is too long; each photo stays on the screen longer than needed. Also, the music is more fast paced than the slides. I would add more photos and have the slides change more in time with the music. It's not hard to apply the styles you have and they would add some interest. I think your choice of music is great for a 90th birthday party and if you sync the slide timing to it, the effect would be better. Good luck!

Postby bellzerr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:33 pm

I agree with greengirl. Music is great, movement is good, slides and TRANSITIONS are too long. When you're doing a lot of photos like this show, a one-second fade is plenty between slides. I would also reduce the number of special effect transitions overall and save them for key points.
To sync the music, search the forum for music sync topics. Basically, you count the beats per minute to determine how long each slide/transition should be to stay in sync.
This show's a good start. You can do this. :D
Mark

Postby SherryJB » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Marty –
You’ve been given a very special opportunity to cherish someone who has lived almost a century! How wonderful to be chosen to highlight your father-in-law’s life.

Every time we make a show, we put a little of ourselves in with the images of our family and client. The shows are personal, and reflect our own tastes. Your beginning show is a great starting point, and there are many ways you can go to give it punch. Here are a few things that I would do.

The music you chose is a great period piece, and reflects an important era in a 90 year-old’s life. If you chose a fast piece of music, then the images and movement needs to progress at the faster rate as well. It’s not just about a variety of transitions; the movement should reflect the mood and story of the picture. For example, there is a photo of a woman standing on the deck of a cabin near the end of the show. Zooming in on her would add effect to the picture…
When transitions too varied, you can’t relate to the picture, all you see is the transition. I typically choose several transitions for a show, and then repeat them throughout the show.

The music is very happy, yet the black background is dark. You might try a different color or a gradient background to lighten it up a bit.

One of my pet peeves is bare-edged pictures. I almost always outline the pictures in Producer or in a photo editor. You can also use simple frames and colorize the frames. I see you use Gold, and I’m not sure if you have access to vignettes, if so, that is another way to dress up the images.

Do you have access to other pictures? Baby pictures, military pictures, wedding pictures, sports pictures? Do you have documents or memorabilia you could scan and include? What are his hobbies? Does he fish, boat, camp, hike, etc.? Does he have a favorite sports team? Is he religious? You could include images that reflect these things as well.
How about adding some captions to identify events, locations, etc. Are there people who might like to give him messages in the show. For example: We love you grandpa, etc.

My final comment is don’t end with group shot. Get a good photo of your father-in-law and zoom in a good facial shot of him (of course…frame it!)

Again Marty, we all have our own styles, and mine is a little less formal and more folksy. These thoughts are for your consideration. You make the show as you see fit!

Thanks for sharing.

Sherry B

Valued Member

Postby mfalco » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:59 pm

I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I will be given more pictures so that is not a problem. I have reduced the transition from picture to picture to 1 sec. That alone has made it much better to me. I also have removed most of the effects but not all. I chose only a few to add motion too. I am also going to add framing as you suggested sheryl. I think that would make it better. I don't expect it to be perfect, but just with these changes I feel much more confident that it will be fun for his family and friends to watch. I will keep you informed of my progress and if I need more help I will post. AGAIN THANK YOU!

Marty

Postby ChrissyC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi Marty :) wow what a great honor, what a treat for Kathy's family...keep it simple Marty, moving pictures is not what they want to see, they want to see old family pictures...follow the suggestion of a nice frame, what I like is just a light outline of white around the photo, does Gold allow you to add an outline? You'll make a bang up show for her Dad Marty :) I'd love to see it when it's done..
my love to Kath..
Chrissy
Eddie is doing good :)

Valued Member

Postby visimp » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 pm

I see you have been given many ideas but I have one more suggestion for you, a way of getting close ups from snapshots on which the backgound is part of the story without zooming. That is to put a picture and a cropped portrait from the same picture side by side on the same slide. It also adds some interest because your pictures come off center. And no movement.
You may already know how to do this but since you said you haven't much experience with effects I have added detailed instructions for you if you choose to try it.
Drop two of the same picture on the same slide, hold control to drag the second picture on the same slide. In the editting tab crop a close portrait on the layer one picture. Reduce the size of both layer until they fit side by side. These look good with an outline and possibly a drop shadow. This effect may need a slightly longer slide time to see both pictures.
One of the pictures from your show on which this would work is at approx. 3:10 which has nice scenery behind your father-in-law and a teenager. I would be inclined to crop like a studio portrait, not the full body.
I liked your music.
Lynn

Postby HunnyB » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:02 am

I say --- watch some shows and get some ideas. I really believe that is what helped me the most. There are many memorials on here. Here is one of mine if you want to watch. It has many old photos. Forgive the menu - not sure what happened there. :D

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7534&alb=0
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Valued Member

Postby mfalco » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:50 pm

I got both of your suggestions. I will give both a try. One thing I noticed Sharron is that you had different backgrounds in your show. I feel I need to add some to the one I'm doing. Lynn, I try yours as well. Thank you both. I will post an updated version as soon as I have time to work more on it.

Marty

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback