Venezia - July 2009

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Honorary ProShow PHD

Venezia - July 2009

Postby climax » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 am

Today I would like to share a part of my summer holidays.
I went with my husband from Finland to Italy... BY CAR !!!
It was an extraordinary trip. During 3 weeks we drove more than 7000 Km, stoping in Danmark, The Netherlands, Austria, and finnally Italy. I have in total more then 6000 pics :lol:

This Venezia show is actually very simple, with almost no effects at all. The pics are so full of details... I couldn't add too much more visual information :lol:
I'm afraid it's a little bit too long for you guys (8 min), but I simply couldn't leave these pics out of the show. I really want my family in Brasil to see all of it, because they have never been to Europe yet.
The show has 2 parts: in the first part I present the beautiful details, and the old historical monuments that you can see in every corner of the city. I can say that Venezia is a city of details...
In the second part I show the modern times, turists, commerce, etc... contrasting with all that history.

The song is from "The Gladiator" soundtrack (I thought it really has the mood of old Italy).

As usual I would love to hear your sincere opinion, good or bad, and suggestions for making the show better.
Cristina
Cristina

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Venezia - July 2009

Postby climax » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:10 am

SORRY !!! i FORGOT THE LINK :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=153540

Please don't consider the boring blue menu that appears when you open it. I made a very nice menu, but it wouldn't upload in any way (tried several times)
Cristina

Postby trulytango » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:49 am

Hi Christina

Great show. I thought the music fitted perfectly - for both parts. Venice is a spectacular city and you brought back many memories of my own visits. I thoroughly enjoyed it :D

One little point. In several places you displayed individual images surrounded by the Photodex 'Grunge' frame - but it wasn't such a good fit. If this was intentional and part of your slide vision, then that's fine... but if you would like your pictures to be framed more fully, a quick trick would be to unlock the x or y axis of the frame layer and expand or pinch it in a bit to better suit the picture below.

Thanks for sharing your trip to Venice 8)

Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby climax » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:31 am

Hi Iris !
You got it just right!!
I struggled with those frames for hours :lol: , and lost the battle.
I did want it to be perfect fit to the frame, but simply could'nt find a way in PSG.
I have no idea about what you're talking about ..x and y axis. I don't think PSG allows me that function :twisted:
I really have to upgrade to Producer...
If anybody knows how to adjust the axis in PSG please let me know.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the show, and had a good time with it

Cristina
Cristina

Postby trulytango » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:50 am

Christina :oops:

My apologies... I was so drawn to your show, I didn't think to see which software you had used! Yes, unlocking the horizontal (x) and vertical (y) sides of an image is a really useful feature of PSP and its a shame you don't have it in Gold.

I still think your show is beautiful :D

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby climax » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Yes... it's a pitty... sometimes PSG is really frustrating.
But in the other hand, it has prepared me for Producer, that I intend to upgrade soon.
Another thing that PSG is disappointing is the small options of frames. For example, we don't even have vignetes...
Cristina
Cristina

Postby Mokummer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Christina.

I really enjoyed your Venetia show.
You have a good eye for composition and subjects. For a show like this, 8 minutes are Ok.
However: some shots are a bit messy due to poles in the shots that are unavoidable.
With any slide show for public viewing it’s hard to decide what picture to put in or out.
Well done.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby climax » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Thank you Mokummer!
I know what you mean about the pics being kind of messy.
As I wrote in my post... I know there is a lot of visual information in these pics. But I decided to put those pics in the show simply because Venezia IS LIKE THAT !!
It's beautifully messy, and with many interesting contrasts... That's also the reason I have some pidgeon pics as well. Anyone that has ever been there knows that they are a part of the city... they are everywhere.
Thank you so much for taking the time to watch, and for telling me your thoughts.
Cristina
Cristina

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Cristina. I really wanted to watch this show and make a list of potential improvements and suggestions... However, as Iris said, "I was so drawn to this show". I was also...

There is a Hollywood film making technique that, when used effectively, separates the poor films from the blockbusters. The term is called "Suspension of disbelief". It involves drawing the viewer into the production so strongly, that they are willing to believe that everything about the film is real. They BECOME A PART OF THE ACTION and the movie. You did this in your show. I was drawn into the images and music and for eight minutes, I was actually there, in that wonderful classic city. This is the hallmark of a great production.

My hat is off to you once more.

Blessings always, your friend, ~al

ps: The shadows I saw in these images were spot on and desirable.
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Esteemed Member

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:16 pm

A wonderful show Cristina. Loved every minute of it.

Well done.

Alan
Downunder
Alan

Sydney, Australia

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:31 am

Christina

That was a very quick 8 mins. I loved your eye for the detail that captured Venice.

There was one technical aspect that troubled me ... the many fades to black between slides. I realise no one else has commented on this, but I did find it hard on the eyes.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby climax » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:42 am

Al, Alan and Brian.
Thank you very much for watching my 8 min shows and spending some time with these wonderful feedbacks. I'm glad you all have liked my show, and that it didn't seem too long or boring to you.
Al, once again you have made my day... :D you're always so kind to me... thank you!
Brian, you know what ? I agree with you. When I was doing the show I thought that maybe it would be too much of the same effect. But I simply didn't know what else could I do to keep matching the music pace. I thought that using any other kind of fancier transictions would be too mush visual information. And I honestly don't like when the AB fades between 2 pictures is too long (makes me dizzi :lol: )... Could you suggest me something else ??
Alan, thank you!
Wish a nice weekend to you all,
Cristina
Cristina

Postby debngar » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:08 am

Hi Cristina,

Nicely done and a quick 8 minutes as Brian said. I enjoyed the way you presented the old first, then the new and brought it all to a nice conclusion at the end with just the right amount of captions to inform the viewer what your story/purpose was behind your production. With so many colorful and nicely composed images it was hard to pick a favorite among them all but I especially liked the image of the masks at 5:01.

I think you were wise to not add many extra elements to your show since there was so much to see in the scenes. Too much movement or other 'stuff' might have been a distraction.

This proves one can make a nice show even with the limitations of ProShow Gold. Gold is a lot more powerful than when I started using ProShow years ago when it had no layering capabilities! I love Producer and you will too when you get around to purchasing and using it to display your delightful images. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Astra » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:14 am

Cristina,
Thank you for sharing your Visit to Venice with us.

What a Great Show – you’ve created, such beautiful photos, so nicely assembled together, you’ve have a great sense of music and matching to the beat …. Definitely a talent for: “story-telling” thru pictures and music nicely blended together…
What a great memento it will be (for you) – and thoughtful and interesting Gift (for others) it will make.
I really enjoyed your show, it is so nice to travel with you…

Thank you for valuing my opinion and ideas so much, that you’ve asked me for detailed – let’s call it now:
“Commentary of Suggestions” - (in two parts - because of the length)

========================================
There was an article, which very logically explains, why others can see these “little quirks” – which to us – ( authors and creators) – are almost invisible, until somebody else will point to it….

They call it: “psychological distance” – in “REAL LIFE” practical application is:
“If YOU will design something, you should NOT be the one to check it – Somebody else SHOULD.”

(Here is the link: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... e-c&page=2
Highlights:
(0:42) - Beautiful double pictures
(1:13) - Nice Flower
(1:23) – Great idea – Masks in Background
(1:42) - Stone Rosetta & Gold Mask – nice comparison between them
(1:58) – Well done Transition to color – matching perfectly to music
(2:10 till 2:23) Great shots of buildings – matching to music
(2:25) – Nice transition – beautiful shot THRU balustrade
(3:38) – Sweet doubles – again !!
(4:13) – Great match to the sound of “Zoom”
(5:17) – Photos with frames –Great !!!
(5:23) – YOU GOT IT PERFECT !!!
(5:33) – Great Pigeon and great Transition
(6:07) – You’ve got even YOUR OWN BOAT !!! – good observation - to find details like this
(6:58 till 7:06) & (7:14 till 7:28) - PERFECT BEATS !!!
(7:31) – Great !!!
Tiny quirks:
(1:30) – too abrupt change between dark “Brick Building” and Light Sky with “White Church”
… Suggestion: Zoom more on Detail on the Left of church to ballance
(3:08) – too abrupt Transition
(4:16) - photo of building with flag – somber and sad looking – (Re-color or make more colorful ?)
(4:21 till 5:17) – Starting with a picture of “Square” – photos do not somehow follow the music – seem too slow
(5:46) – slightly of the beat
(6:57) – too long blank page
… Continuation – next post:
Last edited by Astra on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Astra » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:22 am

….Continuation – from previous post:
General suggestion:
Buildings, facades, photos of water (“horizontals):
- Zoom – so picture is bigger, so you can “pan” from one end to other , giving impression of movement
======================================
Suggestion specific – 3x – (A +B +C):

A.– First part - Ending: (No changes – just Re-shuffling) :
Ending Photo (4:03) – “Bas Relief” (flying from bottom) – it is rather sad and “too” modern, also transition itself is not in the spirit of others transitions – so it is ending on rather somber mood
…. Suggestion - for Four Last pictures:
1. NEW detail of flowers/building (something Gold & Red – to match previous façade)
2. (Existing) Gold Chair
3. (Existing) Red Velvet Detail
4. (Existing) Face – blue and gold – slowly blending to black screen

B. - Second part - Opening Titles - (Light Change):
Captions on Black background (4:11) (with white fringes) – too sad
….. Suggestion:
1. put another photo of these Gorgeous Masks under the text – (like next picture is)
2. Make Text larger with less movement

C. - Second part – End - (Re-shuffling of TEXT + Adding NEW short “Recapitulation”):
Ending Captions (7:50) – are creating nice & thoughtful recapitulation of whole visit.
But they are harder to read – too much movement, too.
….. Suggestion – maybe: Your Names, Venizia / Italy, Date etc. - there instead
…. Suggestion for NEW Ending (with NEW short Music):
a. - Gather all these notes,
b. - Add NEW short “Recapitulation” with NEW “neutral” pictures (buildings??) which will be slowly blending under the text – TEXT itself: moving UP slowly in paragraphs ( like Credits in the Movies are.)
So the impression for whole show will be slowly lingering at the end - like the sun gliding down into the ocean.

This “dissemination” you asked me for – and then asked to posted here on the Forum (for others to see and learn – and I’ve learned lots of things, too) - reminds me our Projects at school....
when whole class gathered around finished results and – going from one to the other – we collectively discussed (together with an instructor) plusses and minuses, asked “Why” and heard and gave the explanation “BECAUSE” …. this was the BEST WAY to learn !!!

It was called: “Constructive Criticismus” and we were GRADED on it, based on: How Well we could “discover” even tiniest “future” problems.

Hope, this was, what you have in mind - and thanks again for you great show.

Best Regards,
Alexandra

Next

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback