Classmates Memorial Tribute

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

Classmates Memorial Tribute

Postby floridabill50 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:39 am

Hello to all and I recently made this Memorial Tribute for our upcoming 40th class reunion. It may not have lots of movement but something to finally share with this forum. Used PSG 4 and video is not quite 10 mins long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm2HnunICfs

Re: Classmates Memorial Tribute

Postby tomdavis » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:19 pm

These kind of shows are always hard to do. I am sure you will have many requests for this show. I think I would have used the clouds as background for the photo's. Keep posting.

Tom

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:58 am

Sorry, I didn't care for your show and stopped watching at close to 2 minutes. Is it really 10 minutes long and all you display are the deceased members of a class?

The show was too slow and seemed to be about the fancy effects of the software, not the passing of those in it. I thought you used too many different transitions, too many fancy frames and too many different backgrounds. I thought the motion was unnecessary too, whether it be the pictures or the captions.

I would use one or two cloud backgrounds like what was behind Brenda somebody (she was before the 2 minutes mark) and alternate the portraits being on the left and right side of the screen. There is also nothing wrong with displaying two at a time. I would also pick a different color font because the red didn't go with anything. Using a fancy frame around a photo is fine but some I thought some were a little strange, like the one that looks like a postage stamp.

I don't have Gold so I really don't know what the software is capable of. Perhaps someone else will chime in with some advice on how to display the photos more effectively.

Kathy

Postby heckydog » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:40 am

I would tend to agree with Kathy's comments and add a few suggestions of my own.

It's important in a show like this that the focus is on the classmates that have passed away. All the different transitions, frames, and multitude of backgrounds changes the focus. I'd say use only a basic dissolve between slides. Stick with one frame for everyone and they should all be the same size. The backgrounds should atleast be similar if you're going to use several. I don't know if Gold allows you to use video backgrounds but I have some nice videos of sunsets, rays of light thru clouds, time-lapse flowers opening and closing. The kinds of things that are often used for symbols of life and death. I can show you a sample if you like.

Each slide is on the screen for around 10 seconds. I think that's too long. Cut it back to 4 or 5 seconds for each and that will cut the show length in half. imho, your fellow classmates will definitely be interested in who has passed away but it would be hard to keep their attention for 10 minutes, especially at a reunion.

Joe

Postby floridabill50 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks for the input and maybe I should have mentioned that I was REQUESTED to use that type of format by the reunion committe so using different backgrounds and movement like every 5 slides was not actually my preference. Also they asked to use 1 photo per slide as well but I will def make note of all suggestions for my next project. Sorry it was "boring" to some !!!

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 am

I'm sure that show wasn't easy to do. I'm going against the grain here and saying I thought it was really well done. They deserved 10 seconds of rememberance. Changing the backgrounds and having movement kept the show going. Otherwise, your eyes would just be in the same place for 10 minutes. I think it was really nice. I'm sure everyone appreciated it.

Sue

Postby becky_calif » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:23 am

I was interested in watching your show because I had recently done something similar. With the instructions you were given I think you did great. I too was given "instructions" on how the class wanted something presented, which I did, BUT I put the same photos together in my style to show the committee just in case they were interested in something a bit different. I didn't get any further directions on how to do the project after this and it was left up to my discretion. With everyone knowing about computers and programs, these people know just enough to think they know it all and how things should be presented. I hope you continue to post...I always walk away learning something from members sharing.
Becky
Becky

Postby VidQueen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:38 am

Hi Bill,

I'll respectfully disagree with my fellow enthusiasts on this one :)

If I was looking at a slide show of classmates of mine who have passed away, I would want to see thier faces one at a time and for a longer time that would be acceptable in a more upbeat show.

I will agree with the movement and effects, though. You know what would have been nice? A very slow fade out of each photograph....making it appear as though they were fading into the clouds. Maybe ever so slightly decreasing in size, too....so that they are moving away from the viewer. This, I believe, is what the other comments were referring to when they mentioned using too many effects. The transitions and motion that you did use, didn't seem to have a purpose. That doesn't mean you can't use any....they just have to have a purpose. Fading away and moving away from the viewer has a definate emotional purpose in this type of show.

I'm sure your fellow classmates will just love the show you made AS IS. It's about the people they miss. Your audience most likely won't even see what we are seeing.

Very good job. Keep it up:)

Jennifer

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback