Memories from our Charleston Trip......revised

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
breh888

Memories from our Charleston Trip......revised

Postby breh888 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:39 am

I've completely revised the Charleston Trip slideshow per all you kind suggestions making it lots shorter, with fewer types of transitions and somewhat less motion....still love the motion. It's now 27 minutes long compared to 47 minutes....somewhat large and a bit more jumpy because of the shorter screen times for each slide. I'd again appreciate any feedback you may offer.....so helpful to a newbie with his first show.
Thanks
Herb

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow?fl=3118595&alb=0
Last edited by breh888 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:04 am, edited 8 times in total.

Re: CC my first show.....please be as brutal as needed.

Postby becky_calif » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:45 am

Herb,
You didn't send a working link to you show.....
Becky

breh888

Postby breh888 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:56 am

URL has been corrected in the first post. Thanks.
Last edited by breh888 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby debngar » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:03 am

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 8248&alb=0

Edit your post and use this link to your show. No need for a duplicate thread.
Last edited by debngar on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:08 am

Welcome to the funny farm !!

What you have to do is go to the Photodex sharing site ( http://www.photodex.com/sharing/browse.html ) and on the "browse member", enter your user name you established for the sharing site. When you have navigated down to your show, then you can copy / paste the link to the show here for others to use. Fortunately, in this case, you have the same user name here as the sharing site so I was able to find it (many people have different accounts here and on the sharing site). In your case, the show link that should work is (I have not watched it yet but I did want to explain how to get the link to the show ):
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 8248&alb=0

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:22 am

Hello Herb,

Thanks for being brave enough to post your show for viewing.

I only needed to watch the first minute or two to get a feeling of the style of the show. Here are my first impressions.

I think being a newbie, you did what you could with the knowledge you had when you put this together. It looks like the random movement and random transitions were used throughout. When you get more proficient with the software, you'll want to take more time to use purposeful movement as the random features don't display your nice images in the best possible light throughout the show. Those features are ok for a quick show but won't bring out the best in displaying one's pictures IMO.

Often with slide shows, less is more and by toning down the movement, we can have time to see your nice pictures else it's a chore to watch while following excessive zooming and rotating if it has no true purpose.

45 min viewing time is long for most outsiders but fine for your personal viewing. If a show is designed with more attention to a story line and thoughtful display of images, then sometimes one can still grab the attention of the audience and keep their attention to the show.

Splitting a show into 3-4 segments can make it much easier to get through the whole thing without having to start from scratch if the viewer runs out of time. Keep the segments to no more than 10-15 min.

Tell a good story, establish a strong beginning, middle and good ending and I think you can't go wrong. Stick with one font, one color and use drop shadows so as to supply contrast against similar toned images or backgrounds.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the group! :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Re: Please CC first newbie show.....CORRECTED URL

Postby becky_calif » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:46 am

Herb,
I really enjoyed your show - I essentially watched most of it. At times I got a bit dizzy with the fast zooms and such, but on the other hand I thought many of your transitions and zooms worked well in your show. Your slides danced to your music, which is something I especially enjoy when watching a movie. I walked away with the vision of you and your wife sharing this with your family and friends and how interesting and enjoyable they would find this adventure you took..your goal of the movie I would presume..totally achieved in my opinion. Overall, I saw a well told story of an adventure by two people who are happy, in love, have a spirit for adventure and learning. For me, a little less zooming out of the pictures would be good.
Nice job,
Becky
Becky

breh888

Postby breh888 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks for your comments and for spending the time to go through most of my very long slideshow. On the zooms and transitions, from what I've read online here, there's a bit of controversy on the subject. Seems that newbies like me like to get lots of motion into their shots, but as they mature, tend to slow things down....somewhat like real life....no?

Thanks again.
Herb

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, I did get a chance to watch part of the show. The pictures were quite good however, I felt the transitions and other effects were way over used. The trick is to remember the show is (in general) about the pictures (which should tell a story somehow), not about the transitions. I remember the first show I made -- I almost managed to use all of the available transitions before I realized I was making myself motion sick !! The transitions should be thought of more as a type of punctuation in the show - special effects used to draw attention to key points, but otherwise more of a "background" part of the show. Here is a good tutorial at Digital Juice on transitions as punctuation that I have found quite helpful in the past. Worth taking the time to watch.
http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/segmen ... ality=high

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Mokummer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:40 pm

Hello Herb.

That’s is very daring for a newby to post a 45 minutes show.
It’s far to long for most to sit trough, I skipped bits here and there to get a feel of your presentation.

Nice photography but to much repetition of similar shots in particular people.
To much movement (zoom in and out and transitions) that does not allow to fully appreciate the scenery. For good shots leave them for about 3 seconds.
I know about the pleasure in making your first show, it’s hard to decide what what to put into a presentation to keep the interest going.
A show of this length is best for personal viewing at home, it reminds you of good times had.
Take some time to look at other presentations to get the feel on how to best use this terrific program for your slide shows. I’m a newby too and still learning!

Good to see more of our age group active in ProShow. :D

Keep posting!

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback