My Journey Through Maine

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
RAMSHOTS

My Journey Through Maine

Postby RAMSHOTS » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:30 pm

This is a quick show I put together of my 2007 trip to Maine. Let me know if you see some motions or transitions that you don't like. Hope you enjoy. It's about 4:40 long.

Randy A. Myers
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 2927&alb=0

Re: My Journey Through Maine

Postby Jerry Cole » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Randy,
First I want to commend you on posting your show. Second, thanks for placing the time in your introduction, I think that helps a great deal.

Your photography is wonderful, but I thought the uneven, uncentered zooms you used (especially on some landscape shots) leave much to be desired. All they accoplished IMO was to draw attention away from your photo and onto the black edges of nothing! One of my pet peeves also is portrait type shots that are left unframed or masked so that the black edges comprise most of the frame. The top and bottom bleed off the frame, and again, the black edges of nothing.
You improved some on this in the later part of the show.

You did a nice job with the 3 framed shots that zoomed in and back, each in turn. That is an example of what I think is excellent presentation.

You might want to download a free program called framefun. It is easy to use and can work wonders giving definition to photos that you choose to have less than FULL FRAME.

http://framefun.en.softonic.com/

These observations, of course, are merely my opinions, and others may differ. Thanks for posting, despite the above anoyances, I did enjoy your presentation.
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Postby kerrymitch » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:33 am

Wow, you have some excellent photography shots in there. How did you get them to look painted - did you do that in photoshop first or is it a feature in the slideshow?

Postby debngar » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Randy,

Beautiful, picturesque and very enjoyable! Your photography and music choice was a treat for the eyes. I would like to have seen a stronger ending to the presentation but still enjoyed every photo regardless.

Wow, if you ever get to using Producer, that will be a real treat to see how you might incorporate some of the features to jazz up your presentation a bit. But don't take that bad, not at all. :D You made me want to visit Maine where I may never get to in my lifetime.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Thanks for sharing.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:50 am

Randy, your photography knocked my socks off! In light of that, I'd like to suggest you eliminate what Jerry loved so much. :D The reason I'm saying this is that it breaks the rhythm and design of the show, which is absolutely all about your photographic ability and the aura of Maine. I do agree with him as per the off-center zooming.

My gripes, however, are completely minor compared to the pleasure of seeing what a fine eye for composition you have.

Oh, and I turned up the sound so I could clearly hear your excellent musical choice.

Keep on showing us your pictures!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

RAMSHOTS

Postby RAMSHOTS » Sun May 03, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks for all the comments. I have made some changes in the show. I'm not sure that I addressed the comments, but I think I have applied some of them.

Kerry, the painted look I do is done one of two ways. I use LucisArt for an illustrated look and Buzz Simplifier for the painted look. These are both applied in Photoshop. Unfortunately the company that made the buzz filter is no longer in business. The LucisArt filter is expensive, but you can come pretty close using Topaz Simplify which is affordable.

I threw a new ending on the show. I guess we will see if it's liked or not. Keep the comments coming, good or bad. The show is still around 4:30 or so long.

Randy
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 5270&alb=0

Postby debngar » Sun May 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Watched the new version and liked the frames. Seems the ending still sort of leaves the viewer without a strong visual conclusion. Maybe there is one somewhere, but it's not clear to me.

If you're troubled that the music doesn't fit the number of slides and are stuck as to how to handle that, try ending the show at the actual end of the song, cutting the music off at the beginning instead and use a 5 second fade in at a good pause or measure to start. I've used this method a number of times in shows where the music is too long and it often works well. Make sure the end of the song hits at the end of your show. Viewers will quickly forget the song didn't start on the starting note. If you need to, add a title slide during the fade into the music to give yourself some flexibility. Maybe the end of the song will help supply you a better idea of what to do with the visual part of the ending of the show.

Of course this method may not work as easily with the song chosen to go with your wonderful pictures since it has lyrics. But you could try it and see how if it works or not.

Still love your photography! :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

cmhjohn

Postby cmhjohn » Mon May 04, 2009 3:41 pm

You have a great eye............your photography is fantastic.
Love the show! Keep up the great work. I look forward to more from you.
John

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Mon May 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Randy,
You have a great eye for composition. Your slideshow skills may not be up to your photographic skills as others have suggested but don't let that change the way you photograph. Making slideshows, like anything else, takes a lot of practice and requires an entirely new set of skills. I'm sure you will get better with practice.

I especially liked the photo of the "Rope and Boat" and the "Two Boats in Water". I also liked your B&W to color conversions and the "Artsy" Lucisart look.

Dealing with verticals is my biggest problem with Proshow. It is designed for 4:3 and 16:9 horizontals and verticals always seem to look so small. Transitioning between the two formats is a problem for sure.

I'll be looking forward to more of your imagery.

Jim

RAMSHOTS

Postby RAMSHOTS » Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate them all.

Randy

Postby lmgerrish » Sat May 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Loved it! Seeing Maine through the eyes (lens) of someone else brings a smile to my face. I like your photo effects and how you saw Cottage Street in Bar Harbor. You must have traveled up Route 1 to capture the sailboats, lighthouses and awesome scenery. I hope you enjoyed your visit. Well done!
Canon Rebel XTi, ProShow Gold and Producer,
Adobe Creative Suite 4 - Design Premium
Secondary Business/Technology Educator

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Sat May 30, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi Randy,
I loved your show - I'm not proficient enough myself, to make constructive comments. The photography is beautiful and makes me sad that we live on the West Coast so probably won't get the chance to see Maine. Thanks for the glimpse of what is a beautiful part of the world.

Rosemary

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Sat May 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Really loved the photos. And the 2nd slideshow was better than then first. Your pictures felt naked and just there in the first show. Just didn't seem finished. With what you did with the 2nd the look felt more complete. Just looked right. Nice job. And wonderful song choice.
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

RAMSHOTS

Postby RAMSHOTS » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:28 am

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them all.

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback