Dan's Vietnam Tour

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Esteemed Member

Re: Dan's Vietnam Tour

Postby nantory » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:17 pm

I'm getting no music when I try to view this. My husband was there 1971-72, so I was really interested in it. Would have loved to have watched it with music, can't imagine what the problem is.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Nantory . . .trust me, my show has a great soundtrack.

Something must not be right with your connection or maybe your speakers are disconnected/muted or something like that so . . . give it another try again okay :)

Dan

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:01 am

I don't know what the problem was, I wasn't getting sound from any shows last night. I had sound from everything but PhotoDex. This morning everything is working fine.
Wonderful show, you did a great job and I'm glad I was able to hear your soundtrack it was great!

Postby ChrissyC » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:14 pm

This show broke my heart with all the memories of the Viet Nam War....42 boys in my graduating class were drafted in the year, only 26 came home.....this show made me cry. Just hearing the music took me right back there.....
I watched...all of it......it's to bad we didn't learn a thing from this lousy stinking war, BUT I am so proud of each one of our troops, both then and now.....
Thank you for your service for our country...
big huggg
Chrissy

Postby Slidewizards » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:42 pm

Great show I loved your music and background sounds.
I also want to thank you for your service.
Larry
USA
Korea 1966-68

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I had the opportunity to march in our local veteran's day parade some months ago with my Washington State Vietnam Helicopter Pilot's Association (VHPA) chapter and was very "moved" as I marched through town to the cheering, clapping and some tearful "Welcome Home" greetings as we all walked by.

Here's a couple of links to an article & some pictures that I took that day:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/loca ... 32639.html
http://www.vhpawa.org/auburn_march_2008.htm

Note: I'm the one standing on the right in the BDU pants and hat and combat boots in front of the Auburn City Hall:

http://www.vhpawa.org/photogallery/Aubu ... G_0937.JPG

Once again, I want to thank everyone for "welcoming me home" and for sharing in my Vietnam memories :)

Dan
Last edited by pilotdan63 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby HunnyB » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:15 am

(FYI, I turned 15 in December of 1972. I had a 1st cousin that was in Vietnam.)

What a fabulous collection of photographs you have. So historic. You did a good job here.
I watched the entire show - and plan to show it to my husband.
Makes me want to call my cousin and get his pictures......in fact, I have to. :wink:

It is easy to see that you spent countless hours on all of the special effects in your show.
I hate to say what I am going to say, but I wish you had not used so many. It was a bit distracting to me.
and not needed ------IMHO. :oops:

I wish that the words had stayed on the screen longer, and that you would have told me what they meant.....
Instead of big and yellow - try white with a black outline - or even just black - and smaller. Maybe 24 size?????????

I wish that you would of told the artist and song title. Maybe before each began.

I did not like the long sound effect in the middle of the show that drowned out the music for a long time.
I was into the song - and poof - I had to listen to "some sound effect" for way too long.

Would love to see a photo of you then - and now - maybe side by side.

The slide with the filmstrip in it ----- you really need to move the filmstrip down.

You have some of the most wonderful and colorful images. Some of them needed to be full screen and the slide time increased. IMHO.

Sorry for the negative. I just think that the images and theme of this particular show doesn't need
too many SPECIAL effects to tell this story. To me, special effects should stay SPECIAL, and not be dominate in a show. IMHO

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS WITH ALL OF US. I can't wait to view the show again.
And THANK YOU for your service to our country!!!!!!! May God continue to Bless You.

P.S. My dad was retired Army. Served in WWII and Korea. I am working on his show now. :)
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Dear HunnyB,

I placed the filmstrip in the middle of the Battle of An Loc opening slide because I wanted to have it move under the words to show the 3D effect from the letter shadow.

The length of each caption is dependent on the length of each slide, therefore the captions change to the tempo of the slide transition. I opted for a little faster tempo on slide changes just to keep the show moving along and not make the total show time to long to watch.

I used the following terms and/or abbreviations:

IP = Initial Point
LZ = Landing Zone
VNAF = Vietnam Air Force
QL-13 = Highway designation near An Loc
MI = Military Intelligence
BOQ = Bachelor Officer Quarters
NVA = North Vietnam Army
DET = Detachment
LTC = Lieutenant Colonel
Feet Wet = Term used to describe flying down the waterline on the beach
UN = United Nations
Zebra Helicopters = United Nations peace keeper helicopters painted with white stripes after the cease fire
A/229th Avn Bn (AH), 1st Air Cav (AM) = Alpha Company, 229th Aviation Battalion (Assault Helicopter), 1st
Air Cavalry (Air Mobil)

The following songs were used in this order:

1. Some Gave All by Billy Ray Cyrus
2. Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan
3. Chimes Of Freedom by the Byrds
4. From A Distance by the Byrds
5. As Long As You Follow by Fleetwood Mac
6. Crossroads by Don Mclean

I originally had much smaller slide captions but opted for a little bigger font to make them easier to read.

The music interruption I believe you may be referring to is the Buddhist temple sequence. I decided to transition over completely to the Buddhist temple chanting sound during these slides rather than mixing the background music in with the chanting after listening to the resulting sound track. I found that the chanting and the original music sound track were in "conflict" with each other which made it very difficult to hear and understand. For this reason I muted the original music sound track to be able to hear the chanting during the Buddhist temple slides.

You can see a current picture of me standing on the steps of the Auburn City Hall in the link above :wink:

Warm regards as always,

Pilot Dan
Last edited by pilotdan63 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:11 am, edited 17 times in total.

Postby nannybear » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:10 pm

I totally have a hard time with war but had to start watching. I can't do the whole show right now but will certainly finish on my week off. Love Creedence and great choice on that start..... I am Canadian but appreciate our "forces in arms" from the US. so much to say but it is late, kudos to you...and more when I get to finish watching the show.

hugs and thank you !!!! for being who you are.....{{{{hugs}}}}
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby ddrsjjjc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:05 pm

Although I was only 10 at the time, I do have vague memories of seeing the war coverage on TV.

You did a wonderful job of capturing your memories and what you've given your family can't be measured!

Aloha,
Deb

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Thanks Deb,

I now realize this fact as well. My only regret is that I didn't start this project years ago but I guess I didn't have ProShow and the knowledge to make a show like this before now.

I have heard back from several of my Vietnam helicopter pilot friends and all have said they appreciated seeing the images that we shared so long ago. I also have written a couple of stories for the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association VHPA Aviator Magazine:

http://www.vhpa.org/

One story about flying Christmas trees in Vietnam in 1972 was published in December and the next article on the Battle of An Loc will be published in July :)

Warm regards,

Dan
Last edited by pilotdan63 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:17 am

Dan,
Great show. Thank you for your service to our country. The show helped to bring different aspects of the war into focus. While I was a little guy back then, I do rememeber the daily body counts, the general mood against the war, and the deplorable treatment our armed forces received on their return. At least it seems that we as a country have learned a little bit. The decision to go to war and the people who carry it out are two distinct entitites. While I am not an advocate of war, I understand the need for and appreciate a strong military.

Semper Fi,
-Vernon

Postby Grandpa Henry » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:06 pm

Dan:
First I want to thank you for your service to our country. Secondly, I want to thank you for deciding that it was time to share your memories. Like you, it took me nearly 40 years to share mine. I served from 1966-1970 (42nd MP Group).
We didn't receive the proper home coming back then - glad to see that we have learned from the past and now honor those that gave so much.

You did a wonderful job of keeping me glued to the screen - great effects and very approriate music. Thanks again for all your efforts to put this together. I know Adrian Cronauer and will try to send this to him as I'm sure he will get a kick out of your .... "Gooooooooood Morninggggggggg Viet Nammmmmmmm".

God Bless,
Grandpa Henry

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:16 am

Dan, I think Pat (imabeatlelover) came closest to describing how I felt while watching your show. Like her, I ended up in tears, amazed that after so many years, Nam still affects me like this. I remember all of it, including those who didn't come home and those who did. My brother-in-law was a point man for two tours of duty, and by some miracle he survived. Prospects weren't all that great for helicopter pilots either, were they? You must occasionally realize how all your life since has been a celebration.

Unlike several others, I was fascinated by your opening video in a theater. It struck me instantly that all the seats were empty, that emptiness symbolizing the soldiers who died and the people who who turned their backs on the soldiers who made it home.

A show can have hot-stuff special effects in it, and it can contain nothing but hot-stuff photography, but it won't hold a candle to your kind of show where heart was put into it.

You did an excellent job from beginning to end.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Lee Ann

Postby Lee Ann » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:01 pm

You did a nice job on your show and I, too, thank you for your service. The music was fitting and I loved the special effects (helicopter, plane/jet, beach water). Really cute. I also feel the captions added alot to the show - without them, I would have just been looking at pictures. This helped explain your story. Considering how old the pictures were, the quality was very good and the shots themselves very interesting.

Nice work!

PreviousNext

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback