Great China

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

Great China

Postby JARHTMD » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:27 am

Here's my 1st PSG show, created a year or so ago, but just posted. It's just under 6 minutes long.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 3838&alb=0

Buying the music CD in Shanghai was an adventure in itself. Discussing music in sign language turned into a fun group discussion with everyone in the store.

Suggestions for improvements are requested.
Canon EOS 40D, 20D, 60D; Photoshop CS3; PSG 3.2(build 2047)

Re: Great China

Postby KarenLynn58 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:41 pm

I loved it.....The pictures were all beautiful....What an experience to get to see it all up close and personal!
I really liked the music too.....
I have a question....What kind of birds were those on the little boats....Well, it wan't actually a boat....not sure what it would be called....Are they tame birds?
Thanks for sahring your show!
Karen J

Postby JARHTMD » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Karen,

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. It was a great trip. I have another longer show of my '08 trip, which I might upload soon.

The birds are cormorants, used for fishing. They are tethered to the boats/rafts to keep them from flying off. Normally, they would swallow the fish whole, but a string is tied around the neck to prevent swallowing. It allows the fisherman/woman to retrieve the fish. Actually, I think it's all for show nowadays.

We were told that the birds are allowed to swallow every 6th or 7th fish as a reward, else they (the birds) would decide "what's the point, if I never get a fish".

Jim

Postby trulytango » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi Jim

I enjoyed your show... what an interesting selection of photographs. Very atmospheric.

Regards

Iris :D

Postby KarenLynn58 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:04 am

Jim
That is so interesting to me!! I had never heard of that before!! I learn something new every day!!
You will have to upload your other show...I would like to see it as well.
Thanks!
Karen

Postby jdgouk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Jim,
Lovely show with some great people and places shots. The people photos especially have some fantastic "local" characters in them. I thought the choice of music was appropriate too.

At first I thought it would be nice to have had some motion added to the photos, but the simple fade between the photos and the great content kept me hooked to the end.

One final comment - perhaps some simple/subtle captions to segment the show into portions - from the photos I guess you travelled around - the captions would have helped to place where each the phots in each section of show were taken.

Best regards
Jason

Valued Member

Postby G_OReilly » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Jim:Very nice show !!!
The photographs where great,and I'm sure the people where very friendly.Did any one object to having their picture taken?

I liked the night shots (very nice)..there was a lot of colour as I'm sure the chinese just love their colours right?

The music complimented the show as well.

George :D
G OReilly

Postby JARHTMD » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:04 pm

Karen, Iris, Jason & George

Thanks for your comments. The show was assembled for my camera club’s slideshow night and was my 1st PSG show. In some other shows that I’ve seen, too many different transitions were distracting to me and diverted the interest from the photography. In the few shows that I’ve done, I’ve stayed pretty much with the simple fade.

The images are not arranged according to where/when taken. I just selected images that I liked and tried to arrange them in a pleasing sequence. The 1st & 3rd images especially said “China” to me, according to my preconceived (western) stereotypes. The ladies lined up were airport restaurant workers receiving their “orders for the day” and said (to me) “China is a regimented society”. That was my very 1st photo taken in China. I saw that ceremony a number of times, involving various kinds of workers. The cyclist getting a traffic ticket said “China is strictly controlled”.

The people just loved having their photos taken. No one ever refused me. It was sometimes hard to get more “natural” people shots, because they love to pose, give the “V” sign, etc. They also wanted their pictures taken with me. It seemed that pretty young ladies especially liked posing with the “white bearded American”. Students often practiced their English with us.

Jim

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback