Find-and-replace

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.

Find-and-replace

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:02 am

Currently, there's no easy way to replace a file that appears throughout a show with another, and yet I'm sure all users have to do this periodically. Something similar to MS Word's Find-and-Replace function would save huge amounts of time. A work-around is to give the new graphic the same name as the original, but this works only if the file types are the same. At this very moment, I have 40 instances of a PSD file that have to be replaced by 40 instances of a PNG file. I'd be a much happier camper if I could type in the name of the file to replace and then the name of the file to replace it.

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Find-and-replace

Postby im42n8 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:46 am

Ditto! I've had to replace instances of a TIFF with JPG or PNG. Time consuming to do it manually! This would be a nice-to-have feature!

Postby owenrp » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Ditto.
It's surprising that Lightroom 2 doesn't even have this capability.
I've renamed a batch of JPG's (in Bridge) with a mistake in the naming & was stuck with the new names because I couldn't replace the error part of the file names.
Owen

Postby jdgouk » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Agree - would be a great feature. In meantime only way I seem to able to do this is using the Excel utility on the following post from Guy.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9559&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=excel

You can load in your show, then use Excel's find and replace to change what you want. A PITA I know, but better than doing it all manually.

Jason.

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:03 pm

While it would be nice if Photodex would include that feature, it should be fairly easy to do in any text editor since the .psh file is just a text file. Make a backup copy of it (always practice safe hex :lol: ). Open the .psh file in your text editor of choice and play the find/replace game. Save again as a plain .txt file if you have to then rename to the .psh (some utilities don't like it if you don't name things what they think you should).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby owenrp » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:39 pm

That's a good work around for PSP Mikey
What I really want is to batch rename the content of JPG/PSD file names as they appear in W.Explorer/Bridge/Lightroom etc with a "find & replace" mode.
Owen

Return to PSP - Feature Requests