More transitions

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.
mlanders

Postby mlanders » Wed May 07, 2008 2:24 pm

Barbara, i have no problems to visit this site, no matter at what time i've tried to visited it...just like in this moment...

Postby Bighousedaddy » Wed May 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Personally, the only transitions I use is fades.... I have read many articles on the subject and anything other is amaturerish. Take your cues from what you see in commercials. I have never seen a spinning cartwheel transition in a commercial.

I have tried to use something other than a fade and I just can't do it. I think I have transitionitis.... I'm thinking of starting a 12 step program, but I'm having a hard time making the transition.

Love and Peace
Kenn aka Bighousedaddy <><

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 07, 2008 3:43 pm

Ken, my turn for LMAO. :lol:

Michael, I must have hit the site in one of its bad moments. It's coming up just fine for me now. I'll have to look through what they have.
Okay, I just did. A number of the transitions are silly, but there is also a small collection I'd love having at my disposal. One, in particular, that really love to have is called "Flip."

And back to you, Ken: Using a variety of transitions is very dependent on the kind of slideshow you're doing. When I'm doing a silly or really light-hearted show, I like transitions, but when it's serious, there's nothing better than a fade.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Bighousedaddy » Wed May 07, 2008 4:12 pm

ok, ok, ok, ok.... I sound like Joe Pesci.... I hear ya... I'm an ol' bluesman... a musician from the age of six to date... So I take my cue from the music so to speak. And try to blend the movement of the slides to the music.... BUT, even the light hearted stuff I fine myself cringing at the aspect of using anything other than a fade.

Love and Peace

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 07, 2008 4:18 pm

Ken, in the next day or so, I'll be posting a show I did for no good reason other than that I absolutely had to set a show to one of my all-time favorite pieces of music. This music is faster than Superman, and it's just about the most joyful guitar work I've ever heard. No way could anything more than a split-second fade work in this. Though I used practically none of Producer's canned transitions, I went right on out to Jupiter with the home-cooked variety. You'll see. Transitions definitely have their place. Anyway, they do in my world. Get silly enough, and they'll have a place in yours too, I promise.

Barbara

Postby Bighousedaddy » Wed May 07, 2008 4:38 pm

BarbaraC;

Please send me a link to your show when it's finished. I have seen a couple of your shows and I really respect your work... Very nice artists....

Take the song I'm trying to locate.... It has all the transitions in the music.... that's why I want it much.... it will do more than any other transition could ever do.
Last edited by Bighousedaddy on Thu May 08, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love and Peace

Postby HunnyB » Wed May 07, 2008 5:54 pm

I really think using transitions correctly takes practice and a know how to make
them look professional. One way is not to use a lot of different ones in one show.
Also, a transition moving real slow across the slide can give some great effects.
IMHO.

Watch my 2008 Senior Show and let me know what you think of my use
of transitions. :D

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

mlanders

Postby mlanders » Wed May 07, 2008 10:48 pm

Hello Hunny B,

WOW WOW WOW...

i love this show, yes i do!
Perfect Music, perfect setting for transitions and a perfect use of a video-file between the slides to introduce every person.

Thank you for sharing this with us...

This shows that there is more possible with every transition if we set them to the right show for the right moment.

Michael

mlanders

Postby mlanders » Wed May 07, 2008 10:59 pm

BarbaraC wrote:but there is also a small collection I'd love having at my disposal. One, in particular, that really love to have is called "Flip."Barbara

Barbara,

what i like most are the 3D explosions.

As i understand this effects you can set everything: Speed, angle and other things to customize each effect like your needs.
So this examples only show us a view aspects of how this could be used.

I think something like this here could be created with this tools:

http://www.nof-club.de/jewel/blue/index.html

Michael

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 am

Very nice transitions, but I'm in the 'bighousedaddy' camp. I doubt that I would ever use them and if they are likely to add a couple hundred $$ to the price of Producer I will never use them. Did you see the prices :roll:

Brian

Postby BarbaraC » Thu May 08, 2008 4:28 am

Maybe a for-instance is in order for both of you, Ken and Brian. You may or may not have seen my "Frankenstein" show, but regardless, transitions other than fades were required. One section of it had a collection of spider webs, and the transition used there was a curved sweep that gave the illusion of webs blown by a breeze. I don't believe I've used that specific transition anywhere else, but for this single instance, nothing else would have done. It would look stupid if we used this transition to move from the portrait of one person to another. It's all a matter of having enough choices so that, when a special situation turns up, the ability to choose the correct transition exists.

Ken, I kept your remark about TV transitions in mind while watching commercials last night, and for the most part, I saw only cuts. When they go for something different, it isn't in the realm of transitions at all but in special effects, some of which are way more "out there" than any transition. Where you'll see fades--and rarely--is in movies. I have the feeling that videographers have all but dropped transitions. BUT--we aren't making movies. We're making slideshows. We're neither here nor there. It's not photography and it's not videography. It's some of each plus a whole different animal. Whereas vidography records movement, we impose movement. Guidelines for photography and videography don't always apply to what we're doing. Even the simplest photo guideline doesn't necessarily work for us: centering the subject is rarely effective in photography, but it's a constant in the slideshow unless we're arranging several elements in a single slide such as HunnyB did so very well in her graduation show.

Digital slideshow production is actually a very new art form. Don't hamper yourself by tacking on the old rules for photography and videography. They aren't the same thing, and to use those rules is to place your creativity in a box.

Speaking of boxes, and doubtless to your relief, I'll now step down from my soapbox.

Barbara

Postby Bighousedaddy » Thu May 08, 2008 4:34 am

BarbaraC;

This is the only show that I recall that I've used a transition other that a fade. But again.... I let the music determind the transition. Also I used only one transition.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2925170&alb=0

HunnyB.... can you provide a link to your 2008 Senior Show. I've looked all over a I can't find it.

Love and Peace

Postby HunnyB » Thu May 08, 2008 5:00 am

Sure, here is the link to 2 of my newest show posts.

Senior Show
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewt ... highlight=

Baby Dedication Show
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewt ... highlight=

:D HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby BarbaraC » Thu May 08, 2008 5:01 am

Absolutely, Ken, what you did in that elegant show required simplicity in its transitions. If you'd chosen something glitzier or if you'd used multiple transitions, those transitions would have pulled attention onto themselves and away from the entire point of the show.

We should use what fits the specific situation, and often as not, music will dictate what fits. A simple, slow melody generally likes a classic fade, but take my word for it: rock-and-roll upchucks a fade.

Barbara

Postby HunnyB » Thu May 08, 2008 5:03 am

Thanks Michael for that nice comment on my show.......
HunnyB
HunnyB

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - Feature Requests