Uncompressed or lossless compressed HD Output

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.
Valued Member

Uncompressed or lossless compressed HD Output

Postby Luke_Miller » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:48 am

I use Producer to create travel videos for my tour group. I produce both BluRay and DVD versions of the productions, which tend to run between 30 minutes and an hour in length. Because of the length I believe it is important to have chapters markers and scene selection menus so that viewers don't have to fast forward or rewind to see scenes of interest. Proshow does not support this function so I use Adobe Premiere Pro and Encore to add these features to my Producer Production. This works fine for DVDs. Using the Create Output -> Video File -> AVI steps I can output an Uncompressed AVI file from producer, do a two pass VBR compression to MPEG-2 in Premiere and then use Encore to create the menus and burn. I am able to get very fine results with this workflow.

Unfortunately I cannot use this workflow with BluRay projects. The AVI preset I use for DVD output does not allow HD output. The tab for Custom Video File -> Custom -> AVI does, but it permits no data rate settings and the resulting data rate is too low for good quality. Also Producer crashes when using it for productions longer than about 15 minutes. The only satisfactory method I've found to get a BluRay production out of Producer (other than burning directly or creating an ISO file) is by using the Create Output -> Video File -> Custom tab and selecting MPEG-2. There I have full control of the settings and get a very nice MPEG-2 file. I have not tried, but suspect that the Custom Video File -> HD option would be fine, but the settings it uses are hidden and not adjustable by the user. My problem is that I believe the MPEG compression tools I use in Adobe Premiere Pro create a somewhat better output than those of Producer.

So I believe when it comes to BluRay I am getting a somewhat lower quality final product than Producer is capable off if it allowed export of the production in an uncompressed or lossless compressed format with user control of the settings. I would like to see that option added for HD export.

Re: Uncompressed or lossless compressed HD Output

Postby Astra » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:09 am

Luke,
- in your first paragraph is very interesting combination using Adobe for DVD creation.
Is the quality of DVD-TV always same - even on different TVs?

What happened to me, that DVD on our TV (created thru different process) was very good and
on somebody else TV was horrible.
... Did it ever happen to you?

Alexandra

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:54 am

[quote="AstraWhat happened to me, that DVD on our TV (created thru different process) was very good and
on somebody else TV was horrible.
... Did it ever happen to you?

Alexandra[/quote]

I produce my DVDs as 720 x 420, 29.97 frames per second interlaced. That is the standard for DVD. If I were to produce one in progressive format it might look fine on a computer monitor or a modern LCD or plasma TV, but look very bad on an older CRT TV. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause such a difference.

Postby Astra » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:55 am

Luke,
it was not CRT,
- it was older type (I do not know the name) flat LCD -I think it was over 30" and DVD player was a some brand name.

Till today, I'm baffled, too.

Return to PSP - Feature Requests