Captions help

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.

Captions help

Postby bellzerr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:52 am

Many of us have expressed frustration with the amount of time it takes to manipulate captions. I confess that I have not given a lot of thought as to what additional tools or features might be appropriate for the Photodex developers. Certainly the caption copying capability and the super-secret ALT key when moving a keyframe group are greatly helpful, but has anyone thought of other tools to reduce our production time when working with captions?
Mark

Re: Captions help

Postby Barkingmad » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:51 am

Yeah, to be honest ... I find it quicker and easier to make my captions in an editor and then bring them into producer as a trans ping, and work with them as a normal image. Captions in Producer frustrates the living daylights out of me. :lol:
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Esteemed Member

Postby northward » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:47 am

I agree with Shaz. But with that I don't mean that caption handling is not worth improving. It is not clear to me why captions should not occupy a layer like any image material. In Photoshop text layers are stacked like any other layer, even though vector-text remains editable until the layer is deliberately "rendered". This would make things easier in PSP. To me it would be acceptable that some more advanced text effects remain in the domain of other programs, but the text handling in PSP must be improved. It irks me even to call it "caption", since the text needs of many presentations go far beyond mere "captions". Even Power Point is way ahead in this respect!
Wolf
-- Minolta SLRs, first digital camera Apple QuickTake 1996, various others since then ---

Postby dikster » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:39 am

I'd also like to see captions as layers that could be associated with image layers or as separate text layers that could reside anywhere in the layers stack.
Also, I'd like to be able to select caption words or characters and apply normal word processing enhancements to them. This would be especially nice when using the Galactic Scroll and Full Pan caption effects.

dik

Postby im42n8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 am

I too would like to see captions occupy something like a layer . . . so that I can put them behind another, specified, layer if I so desired.

I don't find that creating my captions in an image editor to be simpler or easy by any stretch of the imagation . .. . it's not. Control of size, character spacing, line spacing, etc is not easy when it's an image. I do find that when I want to do something specific (like blurring or layering the captions), I find that I have no other choice.

I'd also like to see PSP/PSG captions have the ability to be blurred.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Except for straightforward captions, I do everything else in Photoshop because I can then design my own fonts, place them on layers, and do anything with them that I can dream up and then manage to figure out how to do. Captions in Producer have lagged way behind the rest of the features, though I don't understand why since they're a vital part of many slide shows.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Most of my captions are made strictly in Producer. However, when it's something different that I need, I have been using the Digital Juice Fonts. I can also do some nifty stuff in Corel Draw or Photopaint (Photoshop if I must). But for special fonts and such, the graphics route is the way to go. The more mundane stuff is still better suited to the capabilities provided by Producer. At least with the graphical fonts it's easier to blur, stretch, fade, use the transitions, make shadows, and layer them!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSP - Feature Requests