CAPTIONS AS LAYERS

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.

CAPTIONS AS LAYERS

Postby Dean Athans » Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 am

Wanted Feature -

There have been a number of times where I wanted captions that I could "slide" behind photo layers. Yes, I know that I can create such "text" slides in Photoshop and then use them as layers in PSP, but the convenience of being able to create a caption and then assign it a layer (with all the bells and whistles that can be used on "image" layers, such as blur), would save me a great deal of time (and offer a new dimension in features) in using PSP.

Does anyone know if Photodex is considering adding this as a feature in future versions of PSP?

- Dean Athans
Dean A

Esteemed Member

Re: CAPTIONS AS LAYERS

Postby rlsu » Tue May 26, 2009 11:55 am

Dean,
I ditto the request. I wanted the text to be a layer so that I could use a mask, but instead I need to type the text in Photoshop and save as a PNG. I would love to eliminate that step!

Michelle
Michelle

Postby debngar » Tue May 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Type your caption on the screen against a black background, set the scrubber bar about in the middle of the slide display time, right click, choose screen capture feature in Producer to save as a jpg. Use the chroma key feature to remove the black background which leaves the text only to layer in your slide as any image. No text options though, just image layer options to use now.

I did it a little different in this example but the capture of the caption screen concept is the same. You can either mask it out with a dupe of the caption layer or chroma key out the background or as in the example, the black behind the caption was left alone because the whole slide background was black and it blended right into it.

Here is an example of how that might look:
"Caption Underneath Workaround" - 2:05 min
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=127032
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby im42n8 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:08 pm

While Debbie's solution / option will work in a pinch, I think you'll find the quality and control of your captions as layers to be far superior if you use the text editor option. That goes for clarity and sharpness ... plus any other additional feature you may want to place on the caption.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear. However, Photodex has had this request for some time ... the ability to blur the text has also been in as a request ever since the first version of PSPv4 came out.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

mlanders

Postby mlanders » Tue May 26, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi Dean,

i suggest to go directly to the Photodex-Website, contact and tell them your suggestion - this is one of the best things that your wishes will be heard and noticed and who knows - find their place into a later release of Producer...

http://www.photodex.com/support/contact/email

Hoping too that one day we can have all options
we have for layers for captions and that we have all options
that we have for captions for layers (interactivity...)

Michael

Postby dikster » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:22 pm

Debbie's post mentioned a Screen Capture feature in Producer. I tried right clicking on the slide but couldn't find a way to do a screen capture and I can't find anything on it in Help or the books. It could be very useful for making menu thumbnail images. I'll appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

dik

Postby trulytango » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:31 am

Hi dik

To use the screen capture facility you right click on the presenter preview not the slide itself.

It's a brilliant little feature... you can choose to capture just one frame, wherever you paused the show... or you can even opt to capture a series of frames (state the required frequency in seconds) throughout the slide/show.

It's a feature I use all the time, and not just for thumbnails either - you can crunch down the number of layers in a slide and use the capture as the background for other slides too 8)

Have fun
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby dikster » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks so much, Iris. What a nice little nugget that is! My title slides usually have a lot going on with multiple layers, motion and adjustment effects and captions with motion. It will be great to capture the slide at any point of its duration and use it as the menu thumbnail. It will also be helpful in the ProShow classes I teach.

Thanks again. This forum is a terrific resource.

dik

Return to PSP - Feature Requests