Use NVIDIA CUDA as a rendering option

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.
Sparky29

Use NVIDIA CUDA as a rendering option

Postby Sparky29 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Photoshop is doing this with CS4. I see some video encoding software is also doing this. Seems like a natural for rendering in Proshow! GPU's now days can do some amazing things, let's harness that power!

CUDA is a developer language that allows tasks to be computed by the video card instead of the CPU. For certain types of applications the difference can be pretty amazing!

The only reason I know about it was from a project called Folding@Home. Recently the CUDA software was used to update their efforts and the new found power has been astounding, going from about 1 petaflop to around 4.5 currently. Geeks for a Cure team #84451: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... mnum=84451

This will be a big deal when CUDA capable cards get cheap enough to use in stock PC's. Currently entry level is around $40-60.

Re: Use NVIDIA CUDA as a rendering option

Postby Jerry Cole » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Sparky29,
Are there legacy cards that can take advantage of this?
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Sparky29

Re: Use NVIDIA CUDA as a rendering option

Postby Sparky29 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:33 pm

It only works with Nvidia cards. Has to be the 8 series or above. Example I started with a 8800GS that I paid $64 about 6 months ago.

Here is example of software company that uses CUDA to work with h264 video: www.coreavc.com

Return to PSP - Feature Requests