Making ALL input boxes into sliders

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.

Making ALL input boxes into sliders

Postby JRjr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:41 am

I don't know if it's just me, but I keep hoping with each new release, that sliders will be added to all of the fields where values can be changed.

Examples of where sliders are available: rotation value, X-scale, Y-scale, and so on.

Examples where sliders would be nice: X and Y position (yes you can just grab the layer and move it, so that's not the best example); change rotation center X and/or Y, and others. I don't think you can manually grab the layer to change these other values... it always seems to go changing the actual layer X & Y positions only.

Maybe I'm missing a way where I don't always have to type in values where sliders are missing, and if so I'd like to know how!

Thanks.

Jim

Re: Making ALL input boxes into sliders

Postby debngar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:57 am

Jim,

If you think about it, there is no slider for the pan settings either and for good reason. Those settings are not for making something bigger or smaller. It works to change the POSITION of something. This is the same way the x and y settings are for changing the center position of an image. It would not do at all to have a slider because sometimes one of those values the user might want would be a negative value. You couldn't get that kind of setting with a slider.

Test it and see what I mean by applying these settings to see the results.

Lower Right : 50/50
Lower Left : -50/50
Upper Left : -50/-50
Upper Right : 50/-50
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby JRjr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:17 am

Hey Debbie, thanks for your reply.

I do see your point about negative values, which I hadn't given much thought to... But I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to create a slider with a center 0 position with sliding to the right for + and sliding to the left for -?

There are times when I sometimes just use the sliders (where available) to get a rough idea of the values I need, and then actually typing them in if I have to, for more exact positioning where it's required. Having to always type a value, even if just to get a quick look-see gets old. I guess I'm just getting too lazy. :lol:

Perhaps a "more doable" thing would be to let you somehow "lock" the fields you want to change (center rotation, say) and then "grabbing" the layer to actually move its center location, rather than moving the slide itself. No doubt I'm missing some key factor for why this can't, or shouldn't be done, but I sure would find it convenient.

Again, thanks.

Jim

Postby im42n8 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 am

Photodex could probably program in a slider with pos and neg values for the pans and rotation change boxes ... but I'm not sure of their utility ... at least for those boxes since they use decimal values to the thousands place. All the other boxes use integer values ... you can't enter a decimal number at all (that's where the modifers will come into play ... maybe not as convenient tho).

Sometimes I'd like to point and click on a rotation center too. However, I've noticed that the rotation center you choose by typing in the value doesn't seem to look like the location I'd expect it to be in. So, for now, I'm not too concerned with it as its accuracy (displayed location) leaves something to be desired (it looks like an approximated location to me at the moment). Actually, I'd like to choose a rotation center that's relative to the screen as well as the option of being able to choose one that's relative to the layer. Right now it's only relative to the layer!

Dale

Postby debngar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 am

How often would you ever even need to offset the center point of an image? I certainly could be wrong, but think that would be not very often. I think that thing relates only to the use of the rotation feature.

Once you get the hang of the general way it works as shown in the settings example, I'm guessing that might be the most often use for that feature (to put the point in the extreme corners) other than setting it somewhere else if you have a png image cut out and you want to re-state where the center point is on something like that. But maybe I don't have a creative enough imagination. LOL

There would have to be TWO sliders, one for the x and one for the y which would further clutter up the interface. If there were the ability to grab and move the center point, I think users might find it cumbersome and mix that up with the actual image placement ability.

But who knows, maybe they will make this a feature in the future!
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSP - Feature Requests