Spell Checker

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.
Esteemed Member

Spell Checker

Postby Richard_T » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Would it be possible to have some sort of spell checker? as my typing isnt all the accurate, and my spelling can somethines be off as well?
thanks.

Re: Spell Checker

Postby debngar » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 pm

A work around would be to type your captions intended for use in the slide show in Word or something that has one. Then copy and paste into the slides in your show.

A spell checker doesn't take into account homonyms. One can use a word that's spelled correctly and that sounds the same but the meaning and spelling may not be what you want and it requires a choice between homonyms as to which to use such as:

to
two
too

they're
there
their

Here is a reference for that kind of thing.

http://www.cooper.com/alan/homonym_list.html
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Best spell checker I've found is post it here -- they'll tell you (except for me -- as an engin-ear, I tend to spel things the weigh they sound (yes, English is my native language - it never follows the rules since we stole so many words from different languages !! )). Or worse, M$ will decide what you really meant to put there and "correct" it for you - I used to work for a guy with the last name Wahlin - one of the other guys was writing something up and blindly accepted M$'s "fixes" turning all occurrances of Wahlin to Whaling. Both good words, but not exactly interchangable ! :lol:

Actually, something that works as well as anything (and is basically FREE), open a new email message in Outlook Express. Copy/paste your text from the slide into the "email" and hit F7 to spell check -- it will present you with a list of options for the words it doesn't like. When happy, copy it back again and delete from the "message" - just leave it open for the next block of text to check. When done, close the email without sending. Actually works fairly well !!

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby nannybear » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:52 pm

All of the above, but as we need to be grammatical as well as to spell well.....post it here!! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby czali » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:17 pm

I would still love this feature. It would have it's flaws but help me a lot. I have to have my husband "proof" ever show b/c I am so bad. Thank goodness he is not.

Colleen

Postby im42n8 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 pm

So, instead of going into Outlook, you could go into M$ Word. There you can check the spelling and grammar. Or better yet, go into a better word processor, WordPerfect and do it there. (Yes, I'm a M$ hater ... most of its products are sooooo mediocre .... Excel excluded). :D

Then, after your checks, block, copy. Go back into PSG/PSP and paste into your caption. Ta dah! (don't expect this feature in PSP/PSG anytime soon. It's value in this type of product is minimal compared to the programs' dire other needs (fixes, stability, etc).

Dale

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:07 pm

You could use the "ProShow File Reader" from the Member Files area. Check the captions box it will create a .txt file from your show containing al of the captions. You could then use any software that has a spell checker to check your spelling accuracy. it will flag your document path, etc. But it will also flag the misspelled words. You will then know which slide to go to in order to make the spelling correction.

HTH,
-Vernon

Postby tdew » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:56 am

I use many of the above - especially the email message, but I also have a small spell checker installed on the computer. It makes a very small "blip" when something is typed that doesn't make sense.

Tinyspell is free and unobtrusive, but it just checks spelling, no grammar check is included.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,68576-order,1-page,1/description.html?tk=nl_ddxdwn

Valued Member

Postby samrua » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:27 pm

I use Debbie and Dale's approach of spell checking in Word. If that doesn't work then I do an internet search (Miriam Webster or something similar). Of course, the down-side to this is that you have to recognize yourself that a word isn't spelled correctly, or just get into a habit of spell checking everything.

Grammer on the other hand, is something of which I really could use some help. :oops:

-Sam

Postby Slidewizards » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Check this one out works for me. http://www.spellchecker.com/

AccuSpell will work in ANY program! - Isota announced that while the new version of AccuSpell works with many more programs, it plans to continue adding support for many more. We are dedicated to making AccuSpell a truly universal spell checker and encourage users to contact us if they find a program that needs AccuSpell.
It also has a very good thesaurus..

Return to PSP - Feature Requests