Poor DVD quality on TV

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Gold here.
pat4pix

Poor DVD quality on TV

Postby pat4pix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi.
I am new to ProShow Gold.
How do I improve the quality of my DVD slide Shows, on the TV they look so Low-Res that most details are hard to see. I use Hi-Res images and use the highest quality DVD setting there is but the end result is pretty poor.
How can I improve on this?

Site Admin

Re: Poor DVD quality on TV

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:42 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

This is a topic that has been discussed quite a bit. The problem is that a standard DVD doesn't have the same resolution as your computer monitor. A standard DVD is limited to 720 x 480. There's not much you can do to improve the quality outside of carefully choosing your fonts and transitions.

Mike

pat4pix

Postby pat4pix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:01 pm

I was hoping to get the same quality as the movies I hire, they seem to be fairly high in resolution. There is always so much space left over on the DVD. I thought that improving the end resolution would fill the disc. I feel that I have wasted my money now. Thanks for your swift reply

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:27 am

Movies are not a good way of determining resolution quality on a standard definition tv. Standard tv resolution is only 720x480, that equates to approximately 345,600 pixels. And thats for both photos and DVD Movies. Not even close to High resolution or high definition. For example if you have 1080p hi definition tv the number of available pixels are as follows; Width across the top is 1920 pixels- Hight from top to bottom is 1080 pixels, so that would be 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 total screen pixels. Compare 2,073,600 to 345,600 and you can clearly see that the hi definition tv resolution is 6 time better than standard tv. These high resolutions also apply to most computer monitors people are using these days and the reason why the show may look good on your computer but not so good on your standard tv.

So you see it is not the program that you should blame for your poor results. Proshow can create hi definition shows but you also need a high definition tv to take advantage of this. By the way, burning a show on standard DVD (720 x 480) and showing it on a high definition tv will still produce poor results as you are limited by the standard dvd resolution. There are ways around this problem but I haven't tried them.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Return to PSG - Feature Requests