Cupcake Mayhem, Marine Corps Grad and Wedding....

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Honorary ProShow PHD

Cupcake Mayhem, Marine Corps Grad and Wedding....

Postby Tarafrost » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:03 am

Dana and I spent 10 days in the Los Angeles area a few weeks back, ostensibly to attend (and photograph) my great-niece Amy's wedding, and I came back with just over 1500 images!

I've posted some of my favorite pics from this trip on my photography site, which include:

...Niko's 1st Birthday and the Cupcake Mayhem slideshow!
...Alex's Marine Corps Boot Camp Graduation

and last, but definitely not least:

...Amy and Alex's Nuptualization!

All can be found here:

...Tarafrost Family & Friends Gallery

for those that might have an interest.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Re: Cupcake Mayhem, Marine Corps Grad and Wedding....

Postby nannybear » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:18 am

For awhile there I thought that boy (Alex) was never going to smile. Nice pics! I like photographing animals and nature, they usually don't move around as much especially the plants! I just did a family portrait shoot as a present for my sis. Ten people, half of them kids, one of them not yet 9 months and a very rambunctious five year old boy!!
Needless to say all four shots will be used to create the end result so everyone has their eyes open and a smile on their face. Oh well, back to flowers.....cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Cupcake Mayhem, Marine Corps Grad and Wedding....

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:27 am

Jan wrote:For awhile there I thought that boy (Alex) was never going to smile. Nice pics!

Thanks. I think they kick the smile out of them in boot camp. It took Alex a while to loosen up after 3 months in Marine Corps training.

Jan wrote:I like photographing animals and nature, they usually don't move around as much especially the plants! I just did a family portrait shoot as a present for my sis. Ten people, half of them kids, one of them not yet 9 months and a very rambunctious five year old boy!!
Needless to say all four shots will be used to create the end result so everyone has their eyes open and a smile on their face. Oh well, back to flowers.....

I hear you there! When I got told that I had to go to the 1st birthday I wasn't overly thrilled. But I figured that having the camera in hand would give me something to do...and it sure did that! Shooting young kids is true "action" photography! Good way to work on your action skills where you can react almost instantaneously. It was also good practice for the wedding shoot. Weddings are stressful, since you only get one chance to capture the key shots. Not like the photographer (at least not good ones) can stop the proceedings and say "can you redo that first kiss again", though I have heard some shutterbugs will try. LOL

As for the Marine Corps Boot Camp Graduation ceremony, there was NO WAY I was going to go to one of the Drill Seargeants to ask if they could redo a particular manoevre 'cause I missed the shot the first time! Youza, that's a scary thought! Got a lot of stares at that shoot, since I had two bodies going...one with my pro F2.8 70-200 lens with a 2x tele on it (which is HUGE....size does matter!) and another with an 18-200 do-everything lens. I looked like one of the NFL pro photographers you see at the game sidelines! Rather amusing having other soldier's family beside me with tiny little cams! Dana was videoing it all with our new 1080i full HD camcorder, which is an amazing little device...tiny, but full HD capture. Haven't had a chance to even look at that footage yet.

One of the worst things in doing weddings is the amateurs that keep getting in your way, but I'm curmudgeonly enough (not that you would have ever noticed :evil: ) that it doesn't bother me much. I ignore everyone else when I'm the "official photographer" and if I step in front of someone, well...too bad. And often the amateurs end up setting up a good tableaux, and then I just pounce and take over! Not very polite, but getting a good result for the couple and immediate family is more important than Auntie Whomever getting a shot of the back of my head. LOL

Flowers can be a beatch though....especially on windy days and for macro closeups where depth of field is very limited.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Return to Photography