Put a filter on your camera lenses

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Put a filter on your camera lenses

Postby m.c.rude » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:15 pm

At work today one of our photographers was framing a shot, tripped over a packing case and fell on the camera. He had the strap around his neck, but the camera hit the ground first and smashed a $5000 lens straight into the ground. However; we had a $80 UV filter on the lens and although that was ruined, the rest of the camera suffered no harm. The filter saved the lens. We accidentally smash Nikon bodies all the time and they still keep ticking, but we try to be careful with the lenses because they are not as durable (although Nikon I think makes the best equipment.) So; if you have a SLR lens you would not like to have damaged in an accident, a UV filter is a good insurance policy

On a comic note; when asked what he was doing backing up with a 400mm zoom lens on the camera he replied,'trying to get it to focus.' He was trying to take a picture of a rock two feet in front of him.
MC
the picture or video does not tell you what software or hardware you used; it only tells the story, it will only reveal what the eye sees.

Re: Put a filter on your camera lenses

Postby gimme5 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:32 pm

It's funny - although new to DSLR's (I recently purchased a Nikon D80 and still trying to find time to figure out how to do anything beyond automatic mode!), I was in Ritz Camera just a couple of weeks ago because I had lost my lens cap and was purchasing a replacement, and they told me that it would be better to just get a filter and keep it on the camera for exactly the same reasons and more - it protects the lens from dust, sand, a 2 year old's pokey, greasy fingers, etc...

~julie a.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:55 pm

Is there any advantage to using a UV filter instead of a clear filter?

Kathy

Postby heckydog » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:58 pm

I use a 1A Skylight filter on my camcorder. When I had my 35mm SLR camera I used the same thing on that to protect the lens. That's when I first heard about it being used to protect your lens.

The 1A is clear and what it does is correct for some bluish casts that you might get from shooting outdoors in sunlight. I believe it will also absorb some UV light. It doesn't affect exposure settings at all, it's not an expensive filter, and you can add other filters on top of it and it won't affect their function.

Joe

Postby m.c.rude » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:15 pm

stickgirl wrote:Is there any advantage to using a UV filter instead of a clear filter?

Kathy

I have never seen just a clear filter. UV filters are clear, and block out UV light. I have not really seen where they affect the picture at all. Some say they make the pictures a bit more vibrant and sharp, but I have not noticed any difference.
MC
the picture or video does not tell you what software or hardware you used; it only tells the story, it will only reveal what the eye sees.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:55 pm

heckydog wrote:The 1A is clear and what it does is correct for some bluish casts that you might get from shooting outdoors in sunlight. I believe it will also absorb some UV light. It doesn't affect exposure settings at all, it's not an expensive filter, and you can add other filters on top of it and it won't affect their function.Joe

Thanks Joe! Once I read what you wrote, I remembered I bought the 1A last year and never even got it out of the case. :oops: I do keep a lens hood on which does nothing to protect my lens in the event of a drop, but does prevent me from running the lens into something when trying to do a closeup.

m.c.rude wrote:I have never seen just a clear filter.

What triggered my question about UV vs. clear was the fact that I received an ad today for a Nikon clear. There are a few different types available.

Kathy

Return to Photography