The greatest question ever.... How Do I.....

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
MClark

The greatest question ever.... How Do I.....

Postby MClark » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:31 am

How do I make photography a full time job. Right now I work a full time job, but want to make the transition into full time photography. I've been taking photos for some time and think it could be done. So the questions it how? Do you take every little job handed to you, even if your passion for photos are of different subjects? Anyone with some great tips, tools or ideas, please help if you would.

I have a website that I run, but it has very little traffic http://mclarkphotos.com/catalogs/

Thanks for any help I can get,
Michael Clark

Canon D60
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
Canon 28-90mm
Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
Promaster Spectrium 7 1.7x
CS3 Extended

Re: The greatest question ever.... How Do I.....

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:07 am

This is probably a discouraging thing for me to say, but you're in a huge amount of good company. I know a professional photographer who always maintained his "real" job because he found that full-time photography wasn't necessarily as consistently lucrative as he needed it to be. I know another photographer in Italy who's slowly working his way into being a professional. In some cases, his work was spotted on Flickr and he was contacted because of this. Recently, he's been doing a lot of sports photography, and he's managed to talk with the right people at the right time, which has led to some work. He's a phenomenal photographer, but has he left his full-time job yet? Nope. He has a wife and a child.

All the arts are iffy professions, but this isn't to say it can't be done. For sure, you'll end up having to do jobs that don't interest you in the least, but isn't all work like that?

Keep your eyes and your camera open for opportunities. Sports, special celebrations, news, travel, and on and on. If you're determined to make it, you will, but frankly, I don't think a Web site is enough to generate the business you'll need. You have to get out there, talk to people, and maybe give some of your work away for free just to let folks get a taste of it.

I certainly wish you all the luck in the world!

Barbara

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:41 am

Michael wrote:How do I make photography a full time job. Right now I work a full time job, but want to make the transition into full time photography.

Real easy: quit your job, hang out your photography shingle and get to work. ;-)

But more seriously....

First question you need to ask yourself is why? Why do you want to do photography full time? Be careful what you wish for....sometimes taking a hobby you love and turning it into a profession can take much of the joy out of it.

Or are you dissatisfied with your current full time job and thus want something else? In which case, is photography the best choice of a career, given your interests, takents and income requirements/desires?

Michael wrote:I've been taking photos for some time and think it could be done.

I've heard this so many times that it's painful. Sure...it can be done. It will take tons of dedication, persistence, time, effort, passion and a modicum of talent. Are you willing to work that hard to get there? It's a tough road to follow, so be sure you're ready to follow that path before you take it.

Michael wrote:So the questions it how?

Take lots of photos. Be insatiable about learning how to be a better photographer (composition, lighting, exposure, technique, etc.). Show your work to as many people as you can, especially to those who have some background in photography and can provide considered advice (friends and family can be good for the ego, but rarely know enough to provide good feedback). Don't quit your day job, but try to sell some of your work. Online. At local events/fairs. To local groups (sports, arts, etc.). Take workshops. Take courses. Buy/read/learn from good books. Hang on photography forums and learn more.

Then see where this takes you, and whether you start generating enough revenue to take the risk and go full time at some stage.

I think you are asking the wrong question. A better question would be: How can I become a better photographer and the best photographer that I can be? Answering this question and then following that path might lead you to becoming a pro....or maybe just a part-timer, or even a talented amateur who loves what he/she does. All of which are valid outcomes.

Michael wrote:Do you take every little job handed to you, even if your passion for photos are of different subjects?

Interesting question. If you're doing it full time, you may find that you HAVE to take some jobs that you would rather not, just to pay the rent/mortgage/etc. And that can take the fun/joy out of your photography. It's one reason I don't do weddings, except as a gift for close friends or family....it would trash my love of photography pretty quickly dealing with bridezillas and ugly mothers-in-law. ;-)

My advise is the same I give to kids coming out of school and wanting to know what career path/profession to pursue:

Follow your passions!

If you follow your passions, you might never be rich or even well off. You might never become a full time photographer (or whatever turns your crank), and might have to keep your "day job" to support the pursuit of your passions.

But you'll be happy and excited by what you do.

And funny enough, in the long run, pursuing your passions is a higher probability path to full-time and better income levels than not.

Or just dive into the deep end and do it. Amazing how much motivation it can be when your next meal depends on getting the next gig! :shock:
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Michael,

Marry a rich girl. The bills will be piling up while you are playing the starving artist role.

You need to be specific in your area of expertise (portraits, weddings, etc). One cannot excell professionally in all areas of photography. If it is wedding and portrait photography (the bread and butter of the field) that you wish to compete in you might do well to work as an assistant for a competent photographer til you learn the ropes.

Having artistic skill is less important than being a good businessman. Learn to be a great salesman and don't be discouraged by rejection. There will be lots of that.

If you wish to sell framed prints at art shows you will be living the life of a travelling gypsy. Even travelling by car anymore is becoming quite expensive.

If independence is really what you seek find another line of work and start your own business. Then take your money and spend it on your passion.

There are many avenues where you can make some income with your camera but very few where you can make a lot. You are competing with everybody who owns a camera and many will undercut your prices for the satisfaction of making a sale.

Go to work for a newspaper or TV station. Get educated in film-making. But if travelling the world, taking pretty pictures is really what you want to do then I would suggest you keep that as your passionate hobby and find another way to make money. Otherwise, your enjoyment of photography may be spoiled for good.

If, however, you are willing to make major sacrifices for a while and will do whatever it takes to find success then go for it. Just start with a sound business plan and a good idea of what you wish to achieve.

Good luck, Michael. And if you don't find that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow at least be happy in the community of artists who are satisfied just being able to see rainbows.

Jim

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:10 pm

Michael,

Are you sure you want to spoil a perfectly good hobby by trying to make money at it?

One route you should consider as a way to explore the professional field without making it a full time pursuit would be to try stock photography. I have no experience with this site as a contributor but it's active, been around awhile and sells lots of images. If you want know whether you're images are sellable in this kind of market, it's one way to find out:
http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php

Oh, and if you read the forum there and the articles you'll get an inkling of the legal issues you must face and overcome.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to Photography