WOW - what a deal!

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

WOW - what a deal!

Postby marmart » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:19 pm

Some of you may already know about this, but I sure didn't and although I have been away for awhile, I don't remember seeing a post about this. There is a company that does high speed scanning of photos.

Check out their website. http://www.scanmyphotos.com/

One deal is they send you a box and you FILL with your photos (holds 1600 4X6) and send it to them and it costs $124.95!

Boy, think of the possibilities!

Mary

Re: WOW - what a deal!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:15 pm

I just dug into the site a little bit, and I noticed that, though they scan at 300dpi, the format is jpeg, which means some of the resolution will be lost. I didn't see any details about how much compression they use, so this would be another thing to check into.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:11 am

The compression rate is what they consider medium so they can fit the most images on a disk.

It sounds like they are using an auto feeder - all pictures must be horizonal, placed neatly in the box, with no curled or bent corners. For an additional fee, they will scan in the order you provide.

I think for the average person this sounds like a great deal. Personally, I would pass on it.

Kathy

Postby marmart » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:25 am

Obviously you would not use this company for your average slide show. I was simply referring to the person who wants you to scan 2000 of their pictures and put to music. I don't know what you charge, but my cost to them would make it cost prohibitive for them to pursue this idea. This company has received rave reviews and I know someone who has used them and then gave me the disc to make a slideshow.

For the person who has shoeboxes full of photos this is a GREAT idea and if you put them in order they will scan them that way and yes, they will scan them in bundles and yes they must be in a particular order and yes it is a high speed scanner. And for $49.95 they will scan a box full and no matter what the compression rate or if they are jpeg -that is a good deal.

Mary

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:34 am

Mary, for my purposes, it isn't attractive, but I hadn't thought about a situation where someone wants gobs of photos scanned and put into a show. You're right--in that case, it's an excellent deal.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to Photography