Sample Pics from my Nikon D60

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Sample Pics from my Nikon D60

Postby iromero » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:44 pm

Imagine this, my wife actually asked me to take her to a Florida Marlins game... I later found she had reason. There was a grammy award winning salsa performer, Willy Chirino, who was to play for free after the game. This is something that the Marlins have been doing all season on Saturdays and it seems to be selling lots of tix. Just a couple of weeks ago they had Paul Rogers from Bad Company. I heard it was great. I am providing the link to the show here as opposed to the sample show board because it is more about the photos and not the technique used to create the show.

I got some decent shots of the game because the field was well lit. The challenge came during the concert. I was fortunate enough once again to find a way to get onto the field for the show. All the lights in the stadium were off and the only lighting was that of the stage. To make matters even more difficult, I was at least 30ft away from the stage. Nonetheless I think I took some decent shots considering the circumstances.

I was using the 55-200mm Nikon VR lens. During the game I used the preset sports mode. During the concert I shot in shutter priority using several different ISO speeds (800, 1600, HI1).

I welcome any feedback and/or tips you have about the photos.

Here is the link to the show.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2984829&alb=0

Regards,
Ivan

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Sample Pics from my Nikon D60

Postby 57Corvette » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Ivan,

Everything I have heard about the D60 has been positive .... and your photos enforce that. Great shots .... clear and sharp.Great job.

Bob
Nikon D80
ProShow Producer
CS3 Extended
Paint Shop Pro xi

Postby iromero » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks for the feedback Bob. My only regret is having bought it the day it hit the shelf. I paid, with the additional 55-200mm VR lens, just over 1K tax included. This weekend I saw the entire kit with both lenses advertised for $799 at Circuit City. I bought mine on 2/27. It is no longer under price protection with Amex. Other than that, it is an excellent camera.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ivan

Postby HunnyB » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:47 am

Hey Ivan. Great shots. Thanks so much for sharing.

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:02 pm

Wow Ivan! Those are great shots! I loved the ones with the musician. He is making me think about taking up salsa again... ahem.

I haven't played with the ISO I am just not there yet. I did take it to the State Championship HS game and got some decent shots in auto sports. I was pretty far up in the crowd and I think the shots turned out pretty good. I had it zoomed all the way in most shots and the stands were shaking from the feet stomping! They still turned out good. I love the VR!

I dont mean to rub it in but...I got mine at Ritz on sale and yesterday they went even cheaper. I took my receipt down and got the difference. It brought it down to $649. for the camera and lense, and another $49. for the extra lense.

Here's the game pics if you want to peek. I threw together a slideshow that night and posted it to YouTube. (9 days ago) It has over 1000 hits. Holy cow. I added some stuff it and gave copies to the team.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 4509&alb=0

Not as good as your pics, but not bad for a rookie.

Sue

Postby iromero » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Wow Sue. That was a really great show. Did you use the Nikon program to create the "mini" movie from the snapshots or did you just do it with PSP? I thought the shots were good. I didnt see a problem with them.

Congratulations on a job well done.

And thanks for adding insult to injury on the camera price.... I am just going to have to stop looking at the advertisements because I am positive it is not going to get any better for me...

Ivan

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:54 am

Morning Ivan,

I just used the program. I doubt I will ever use the stop motion but you never know.

I was looking at a Nikon site last night and they have a contest going on I think you should enter. Hey, it's free and you have a shot....no pun intended. http://ashtonsd60.com/contest.aspx

I really loved the shots you took. The mix of colors was great.

Have a great day!
Sue

Postby trulytango » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:16 am

Hello Ivan

Great shots you got there... well done!

The way prices drop after any major purchase is so annoying... today is never a good day to buy anything :x

Loved the SALSA shots with the accompanying music - brought back memories for me and caused some significant toe-tapping. I used to be a very keen salsa dancer until I developed a prolapsed disc :roll:

Thanks for posting
Iris

Postby iromero » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Sue,

I actually have 2 photos in the contest. However with the thousands that are submitted, i can't see mine even coming close to winning.

Iris,
Thanks for watching the show. Yep, the Salsa can be a bit addicting. Interesting note, in my "previous life", I was a DJ in the South Florida market. I was hired to play the Christmas party for a very wealthy Dr.'s office. I was to play the club/dance music in between band sets. The band/performer was none other than Willy Chirino, the performer in the pictures that I posted. I got an opportunity to sit down and chat with him for about 30 minutes before the start of the event. Really nice guy and down to earth for being a celebrity. (at least in South Florida).

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Ivan

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:43 am

Ivan,

Nice job. Well composed tight shots. Sports photography is like real estate. Location, location, location. Without a good angle to shoot from the best equip won't help much. Even the high ISO in current digital cameras is relatively free of noise compared to older models. That was evident in your concert pix.

Looks like your avatar shot is at an ice rink. That could also be a good place to practice your low light motion photography.

Jim

TAW_Imagery

Postby TAW_Imagery » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:31 am

Ivan,

Nice shots...

But the Cincinnati folks may never forgive the spelling error in the slide show.

taw :shock:

Return to Photography