New to DSLR's

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

New to DSLR's

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:00 am

I recently got a Nikon D60 and was feeling a bit overwhelmed. It came with 2 Nikon School videos that were pretty useless really. I signed up for classes but they don't start until the end of June! I cant wait that long to get it out of Auto. After searching the net, I found a site that was so easy to follow. Here is the link for anyone new to DSLR's. You may find it as helpful as I did!

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/DSLR_ ... tips.shtml

Good Luck!
Sue

PS, anyone that has one is more than welcome to give me some advice. I have been playing in Program mode with different exposures. I had no idea what I was missing. I am going to love this camera...wait, I already do! :D

Valued Member

Re: New to DSLR's

Postby gus607 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:57 am

I have recently bought a D40 & a Nikkor 18-200 VR lens. A bit bewildering at first but you will get there. Get out there & take loads of photo's. Good luck with your new camera.

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks Gus, I'm going trout fishing this week end so I will take loads of pics. I am already really impressed with what it can do. I had a hard time deciding between this and the D40. Both are very nice cameras. It came with two lenses. A small one and a big one. :wink: 18-55 and 55-200. It sounds like you got two lenses in one! Maybe next year I will be interested in moving up but for right now, I have enough to learn... :o

TAW_Imagery

Postby TAW_Imagery » Wed May 21, 2008 1:16 pm

I am not affiliated with this author - but I have purchased 2 of his guides and find them excellent. Give his site a look...

http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm

taw :shock:

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:54 am

Thanks Taw, that should keep me busy for a while. I bought a Nikon N75 about 7 or 8 years ago and shot maybe 20 rolls of film and never took it out of the auto modes. I wish I would have bought a guide. I paid 700 bucks for the camera and the lenses that are now useless to me. I'm going to put it on Craigslist and see if I can get 150 for it.
Live and learn. :roll:

Sue

Postby jeanc » Thu May 22, 2008 2:58 pm

Congratulations on your new camera Sue!! I bought a D40 last November and LOVE it! My next WANT is the 18-200VR lens. I was overwhelmed at first, but like stated above .... take loads of photos. I was kinda afraid to to try different things and didn't even really know "how" to try, but the more you use it the more things will make sense. I still have a lot to learn. Google your camera and there are a lot of informative sites for free to help you learn.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Smiles,
Jean
Jean

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Thu May 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Sue,

Try Keh.com. They are the largest purchaser and re-seller of used equipment. You can get an instant online quote by describing what you wish to sell. Do you wish to sell your old lenses because they are not auto focus ? If that is the case I understand but old lenses (quite possibly better quality than new ones) work just as well as with digital. I use a twenty-five year old 20mm Nikon that takes great pix. No auto focus, the meter is not coupled to the camera, but it works just fine.

Learn to use your histogram for getting accurate exposure every time.

www.luminous-landscape.com is one of the most informative photo sites on the web. Search their archives. Much of it is advanced but you'll get there.

Jim

Postby iromero » Fri May 23, 2008 3:45 am

Hi Sue,

I also bought the D60 about a month or two ago. It is my first DSLR camera. It is definitely a completely different animal. I bought it the day it was released so there were no kits available other than the standard 18-55 lens that came with it. I also bought the 55-200VR lens at that time. The camera has performed great. I was also able to borrow a Sigma F2.8 200MM lens for my daughters soccer games. In one word, WOW! What a difference from the f4.5 200mm Nikon lens. It looks like I'll be spending a lot more money on lenses some time in the near future.

Thanks to all who provided links to educational material. Like Sue, this is new to me and the learning material should come in real handy.

I hope to put the camera to good use this weekend at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Ivan

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:00 am

Good Morning!

Jean, My friend bought a D40 and loves it too! Although she has not yet been out of Auto... :?

I think I have Googled the heck out of it and have printed out so much information I have it in a 3 ring binder! It's all "how to" stuff that I will hopefully help me out this week end when I get off my butt and get out there!

Jim,

Thanks for the links, I will check them out. About the old lenses, I told the guy at Ritz what I had now and he said they wont fit. They are Sigma 28-90 and 70-300. Although I haven't looked into it yet myself. Thanks for the tip on the histrogram. I did see some info on it but right now it's Greek. I'll work my way there though!

Ivan,

I'm so glad to hear you like your new toy! As I look through the links and scroll through all the pics, I take note of the lenses and can see I will have to take a second on the house. I want them all. :D But for now.... I also saw some HDR stuff...God help me, I LOVE it.

Sounds like a great week end you have planned. I am leaving in an hour for the east side of the mountians where it is usually beautiful. It is suppose to rain all week end. Oh well, I'll get to see how good the camera works inside the motor home!

Have a good holiday everyone,
Sue

steve1975l

Postby steve1975l » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:13 am

I found this site useful when I first started photography although produced by Canon.
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:53 am

I really do like my D40. I got mine last year. And like a few folks here in this forum I made a couple of shows using the photos from it and uploaded them last year. Too bad I didn't know what the heck I was doing with the camera :lol:

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

islandexpo

Postby islandexpo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Suprisingly, there are many useful tutorials on YouTube....just search "photography". There is one gentleman there that I have watched from cameralabs, which you can also type into the search bar. But becareful, there are many in there that do not know what they are doing, you will know when you view them.

Also search National Geographic/Sports Illustrated Nikon Expert Joe McNally, he too has many good tips and advise on YouTube as well as his new book titled The Moment It Clicks. I read it twice... :lol:

I also found a good book by Photoshop guru Scott Kelby titled The Digital Photography Book Vol. 2. It is, in my opinion, one of the better ones I have read that puts some good simple aspects into laymens terms.

And lastly, another good mention...is Ken Rockwell.com He too is a wealth of knowledge.

I have the 18-200mm attached to my D300. I find it to be a great walk around lens. Love it!

-Tim

Postby mrkitzel » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:27 am

Hello Sue,

Welcome to the world of digital and in particular DSLR photography. Remember take as many shots as you like, they are all free. One of the best sites is one called
www.dpreview.com
They have a number of forums dedicated to the various cameras, and a number dedicated to general forums (like the lighting forum). I find this site to be very helpful and you can post your own questions.

Enjoy the camera.

Steve.
Nikon D300

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:38 am

Thanks for the tips everyone! I have been to digital labs and found Gordon's videos very easy to follow. It sounds like I need to get to the book store and buy some books!

I am having so much fun with the camera. I just love it.

Sue

Return to Photography