Problems with new camera

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Problems with new camera

Postby DonnaV » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:01 am

Well I have been going crazy testing out my new camera...
Even took a course at Henry's Photography on how to use it...
Canon Rebel XTi
The pictures are terrific, quality fantastic...

Only one major problem. All the pictures are on a 30 Degree angle to the right.
I am lining up the pictures with the grids and markers in the eyepiece... Still have the problem...
Even on my tripod, making sure the levels are accurate.
I have had several people taking pictures and all those are the same thing, 30 degrees off...
I can see one or two pictures being off centre, but not all pictures taken????

Would anyone know what is happening??? Would it be me and the other people who used it, a fluke in the camera, perhaps a setting is off??? I am lost and getting very fustrated with it...

Donna
ProShow 4
Adobe Master Collection CS3
Canon Rebel XSi, Canon S5, Canon G6

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:23 am

Donna

If you have the camera on a tripod and YOU know it is level, but the photo is 30 degrees out, it must be a camera problem. All I can think of is a defective sensor alignment, there is nothing you can do to correct that Donna.

I would take it back to where you purchased it. Being digital it will be very quick for the retailer to check the defective pictures, and know the camera is defective.

Brian

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:27 am

I assume you mean panned off to the right, not rotated, however,
I have never heard of that. I could see that possibly in a cheap
viewfinder camera, but not in a DSLR. Typically, there is some difference
between what you see in the viewfinder and the actual picture (usually
the picture covers a bit more all around than what you see in the
viewfinder). It almost sounds like somehow, the sensor is not
correctly positioned in the camera but usually that is almost impossible
to do. Since it is a DSLR, the mirror flips up to take the picture
(and expose the sensor) you should be seeing the same thing the
sensor sees. If you bought it locally, consider taking it back and
see if they can explain it.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby sheldonk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 am

I read some where if your camera is on a tripod and you have image stabilization turned on, you can have problems. Unfortunately, they did not describe what problems to expect. If your equipment does have image stabilization, try turning it off and reshooting. This may not help a bit, but you never know!

If this doesn't help, then you probably have faulty equipment. Seems strange though that it looks good through the viewfinder and is then that much off. As Mikey said, SLR's are pretty much WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

Sheldon

Postby Box Brownie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:28 am

Can you post an example, it does not have to be the original size image i.e. resize it for the web page but do not crop it to keep the "full frame area" Also make sure toy use "save as" not "Save for web" as in the first the EXIF info is left intact but the web saving strips the EXIF

In advance, what you are describing is rather odd and I would offer the follwoing two thoughts;_

1) There have been instances of the sub mirror being out of kilter but this would affect the focusing & if the main mirror was mis aligned the image in the viewfinder would be "odd".

2) If the sensor is in some way misaligned there have been with some cameras such reports or a slight shift/rotation but 30% I would have thought was not physically possible within the confines of the circiut board it is attached to???

HTH and do please post an image to aid diagnosis :)

Postby PhotoMill » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:41 pm

Best bet is to post a pic for us to take a gander at. If your sensor is off, then there will be noticable "pitch and yaw", from either right to left or left to right. Aside from that, I would definately grab your receipt and make tracks to Henry's. Actually, you won't even need the receipt. They are great people and will not let you leave the place unsatisfied. But just a quick question while I have you... was the camera dropped at any time or did you shoot any pics under -25C ?

Good luck and let us know...
...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby DonnaV » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your input... Some of the answers are a little alarming...
I have never dropped the camera, but it was delivered to me, so I don't know what happened in delivery...
As requested I am putting up a couple of pic's to demonstrate the problem. I have shrunk them down as to not bog anything down.

I took the 1st pic, 2nd pic was taken by a photographer friend of mine, 3rd was on tripod.
90 day warranty was over last week, the store I purchased at says it's all me and not the camera.
ProShow 4

Postby Jerry Cole » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 pm

Next they will tell you that one of your legs is shorter than the other. With all the things you have tried ... I would think it could only be the camera. Did you show them in the camera store within the 90 days?

You have my sympathy, but did this just show up since you have had the camera for 90 days? I would have thought that it would have disturbed you from the get-go?

BTW, image stabilization on a tripod will not cause this .... perhaps just a blur problem in that case.
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Postby DonnaV » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:36 am

Background:

Ordered the camera on New Year's Eve from Future Shop (Canadian Version of Best Buy), it was a New Years website special.
The first pic, was from the first lot of pic's I did Feb 17th,before I went to the Camera class on March 13th...
Thought the angle of the pictures was a problem I had with the SLR.
After the camera class I went out again with my friend and we both took pics, same angle result.
Went to Future Shop and did show them the pics, they said it was me and not the camera.
Went out again this weekend and took the 3rd lot of pic's.
Out of 375 pics, I could see a small bunch being like this but not all 375 pictures.

I did also take my Canon S5 with me and took the identical pics at the same time, those turned out perfect.
No angle problems and I set the program identical to the XTi. Forgot to mention that I did on the last batch use tripods and also used the remotes to make sure I didn't move the camera.
ProShow 4

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:08 am

Did you tell the store that other people had had the same problem with the camera? If so they must surely have accepted that the problem was not with you.

If you did as you say:

"Went to Future Shop and did show them the pics, they said it was me and not the camera. "

you should have a case against the store.

It would help if you remember the date and the person you spoke to.

Good luck.
Shaker

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:22 am

One thing you might try is to pick several pictures that show the problem. Be sure to print/show the EXIF data from some of the earlier shots you have taken and ask to speak with a store manager. The XTi is a fine camera and it should give you many years of great service. I would think a Polite, Professional and Persistent conversation with the store manager might get an exchange done. However, failing that, a trip to the Canon repair center may be in order.

HTH

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:31 am

Donna

The pictures all show the same amount of tilt, so that would lead me to believe it is the camera, however you say that not all 375 pictures are the same :?

If all pictures are not the same, but those that are rotated are to the same amount, it would indicate something that moves between two positions. What I do not know.

In the UK we have a 'Sale of Goods Act', which goes a little beyond a suppliers warranty. Briefly the SoG states that an item must be fit for purpose, and as the camera does not take consistent pictures, although the warranty is up, it should do so for more than 30 days and is therefore not 'Fit for Purpose'. If you were in the UK it could be taken back to the vendor for this reason. Do you have something similar in Canada?

I still say 'Take it back and complain'. Do you have a 'Consumers Advice' authority you could go to? Something else we have in the UK. Do you have TV shows that take up problems with faulty goods that you could communicate with? If you do I would threaten these to the vendor if being more gentle does not work.

Brian

Brian

Postby PhotoMill » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:44 am

If I am not mistaken, Canon has a 1 year warrantee on any of their cameras and optional 2 year warrantees are available through most outlets. You might want to give Canon a call directly and explain the situation. Nikon, on the other hand has a 2 year warrantee right off the bat. This is one of Nikon's selling points. Keep us posted on this one as I have a Canon 20D and it would be good to know how warrantees are serviced from Canon.

Also, was the box still in it's factory sealed state when you took possession of it? Given the time line of the sale (post New Years) I would be thinking this was a "Christmas returns" type of sale. I'm just trying to find out why Future Shop would only issue a 90 day when Canon itself does the full year deal. It just seems strange.

...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby sheldonk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:26 am

In the US at least, refurbished/demo cameras have a 90 day warranty. If you ordered it on New Year's eve you shouldn't be out of the 90 days until March 30.

If you paid by credit card, I would file a complaint with the credit card company today. That will get you on record as having complained within the warranty period. Go back to the camera store and ask them to make a good picture with the camera. When they can't, demand a new one!

Did the camera ever work correctly? Just curious! This is very strange indeed!

Sheldon

hootowls

Postby hootowls » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:40 am

Contact Canon. There is an email address on the Canon Website on the support tab or call them. Tell them your story. Attach an example. I think they will help.

I had a 3 year old pocket digital that the sensor died. Turns out that that model had too many sensor failures and they repaired it for free even paying shipping. Only downside is you are without your camera for several weeks.

This created a great deal of customer loyalty for Canon in my family.

Next

Return to Photography