Problems with new camera

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Thu May 01, 2008 8:06 am

This particular problem is probably due to the sensor being mismounted slightly (not centered correctly) but functioning correctly as far as sensitivity goes. This is probably a build defect. or could have happened if the camera was dropped or mishandled even before you purchased it. I would do as hootowls suggests in his post above. Contact Canon.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby gpsmikey » Thu May 01, 2008 8:16 am

Simple test (easy with digital) - take it into the store, explain the problem, the
set the camera on their counter with the base flat on the counter and take a
picture - if the picture is rotated as you indicate, let they try to explain why
it is not flat relative to their counter (this takes how you are holding it out
of the equation so they can't say you rotated it as you pressed the shutter etc.).
Let their countertop be the horizontal reference. Pretty hard to argue with that
if it shows rotation when held flat on the counter top.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Re: Problems with new camera

Postby DonnaV » Tue May 13, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks everyone for your input, it came in handy dealing with Canon itself. The camera is now on it's way to Canon, who totally agree that there is a severe problem with the camera.

I will say that I have learnt my lesson well and not to buy such an important piece of equipment from Future Shop again. I was told that if I had purchased the extended warranty for the camera, the store warranty would have been extended to 90 days plus. No extended warranty, only 30 days coverage. I will now deal with an Canon directly and make all camera purchases at a reputal camera dealer.

Thanks again and I will have to wait now till my camera returns, hopefully soon.

Donna
ProShow 4
Adobe Master Collection CS3
Canon Rebel XSi, Canon S5, Canon G6

Postby sheldonk » Tue May 13, 2008 11:30 am

Hi,

Now it all makes sense. They sold you a camera which they probably knew was defective and when you brought it back they told you thta it was you, not the camera. Unfortunately, there are alot of schisters in the photography business. Herb Keppler from Popular Photography used to nail them all the time!

Sheldon

Postby DonnaV » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:33 am

I wanted to bring this post forward so that I could thank everyone for all your help and advice.
I never had as many problems with that camera, I ended up sending it to Canon 3 times for repairs. It was at Canon more than it was in my hands. But will say that they dealt with me very fairly, except the problem was never really fixed.
Henry's Camera's had a great promotion in November, Trade in your old Rebel XTi and they would give you $400+ off the camera towards the newer Canon XSi. So I did and haven't regretted it yet. What a fantastic camera (for me) and my pictures are no longer on an angle.
So once again, thank you all so much for all your help and your great advice. You people on this forum are really the best. I will be always grateful.

Donna
ProShow 4
Adobe Master Collection CS3
Canon Rebel XSi, Canon S5, Canon G6

Previous

Return to Photography