Lunar eclipse

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Lunar eclipse

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:00 pm

For those who might be interested in taking a crack at it, tomorrow night's your last chance here in the U.S. and Thursday is the last chance for the rest of the world until 2010:

"Weather permitting, on Wednesday February 20, 2008 in the U.S., (Thursday, February 21 in the rest of the world) a total eclipse of the Moon will be visible in most of North America, all of South America as well as Western Europe and portions of North Africa."

Hope it's not raining/snowing/sleeting as it's always doing of late around here.

Barbara

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:58 pm

I've had a sticky on my pc so I wouldn't forget about it. Unfortunately our weather forcast for tomorrow is snow. :evil:
Oh how I wish winter would end.

Kathy

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Yeah, we have rain probably in the forcast out here in Washingon .... why
don't they schedule these things for the summer ?? :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby Hemo2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:05 pm

I agree with Mikey! Here in Pierre, SD the forecast for Wednesday night is for -1 (-15 wind chill) and mostly cloudy. I really wanted to try to get some photos no matter what the temps are, but it looks like the clouds will shut the door on that idea. Oh well, the next total lunar eclipse will occur in December of 2010, so that's something to look forward to I guess!

Keith

Postby iromero » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:16 am

I believe the whether in Ft. Lauderdale will be very favorable for viewing. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending how you look at it, at that time I will be in the 4th row at the Van Halen concert. I am hoping I can get my Fuji s7000 in so I can get some great shots. I was able to do so in 2004 when I sat in the 11th row and got some fantastic pictures...

Anyway, happy moon gazing to all.....

Ivan

Postby nannybear » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:30 am

I was going to try and photograph this but I just really don't have the right equipment. So I am going to get my deckchair, binoculars and go sit on my deck with a nice glass of red! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby iromero » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:58 am

Man I need a spell check on this. I meant weather not whether. I guess when you are typing at 6am you are not firing on all cylinders.... Maybe I should have replied after coffee, or wine (nanny).

Have a good one!

Ivan

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:27 am

nannybear wrote:I was going to try and photograph this but I just
really don't have the right equipment. So I am going to get my
deckchair, binoculars and go sit on my deck with a nice glass of red!
Cheers Jan

What are you doing in the deck chair ? (or doesn't your hot tub have
a view of the sky :lol: )

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby nannybear » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:52 am

It does but I am not sure where it sits if I will see the Moon, that is on the other side of the house I think.......good thought tho!! cheers Jan
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:41 am

If memory serves--which it rarely does--the last eclipse was in warmer weather and our skies here in Upstate NY were clear. Unfortunately, I didn't know what the devil I was doing and all my pictures were trash. This time I know how to do it, but the weatherman says it'll be a crap shoot. :D

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:25 pm

nannybear wrote:It does but I am not sure where it sits if I will see the Moon, that is on the other side of the house I think.......good thought tho!! cheers Jan

Well, I don't remember exactly what time it is, but assuming it
is tonight not tomorrow morning, then the moon will be somewhere
between the eastern horizon and overhead since it has to be on
the opposite side of the earth from the sun for the eclipse :D

mikey (more wine if you please .. no, just bring the box is fine :D )

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:51 pm

A sparkling clear night here in Upstate NY! I've already taken a number of shots of the full moon, and now I'm waiting another hour before going out again to catch the beginning of the eclipse, which is supposed to be total at exactly 10:01 p.m. Finally, we've got nothing wet and cold falling out of the sky. I can't remember the last time this happened. Twenty years ago, maybe.

Barbara

Postby nannybear » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:57 pm

Well it was cloudy then clear, cloudy now trying to clear....still daylight here at 5:56 Haven't seen the moon yet......Barbara, do you want to share your settings??? I thought I would give it a shot anyhow in case I actually see it. Cheers Jan

Postby iromero » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:35 pm

Well. Van Halen was over by 10:30. I left the arena and was able to catch the eclipse as the light was re-appearing. As for the show, I was only able to get my son's point and shoot Fuji A400 in. Although I was only a few rows back from the stage, the pictures were not good. I don't know that the show was worth the $170 I paid for 1 ticket. This is the same money I got refunded from the Photodex folks when I cancelled my registration to the Tampa seminar...

Ivan

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:22 am

Jan, I'm sorry I turned off my computer when I did because I might have been able to give you some ballpark camera settings. This is one of those cases when "better too late than never" just doesn't cut it. However, I started out last night before the eclipse began with the camera set at f11 (smallest aperture for my camera) and at 1/400th of a second and then slowly knocked down the shutter speed as the moon darkened. When it hit full eclipse, I was down to an 8-second exposure.

War story: The first set of batteries quickly gave up the ghost, I rushed inside for the second set of batteries, which worked for all of one shot, and I ran back in for the third set of batteries, which worked not at all. That's when I got really, really mad, and I went back in, grabbed a big, long extension cord and my adaptor, and I tethered my camera to power just inside the door. I was NOT going to miss this opportunity. Heat loss through the cracked-open door? I cared not at all. :evil:

Barbara

Next

Return to Photography