Lunar eclipse

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:04 am

Nice shot Keith.

I'm an old amateur astronomer and occasional astro-photographer. Shooting the moon is tricky especially if you're not taking the kind of shot Keith took, i.e., just the moon in closeup. If you're including scenery or you want a starry background then you'll need an editor trick to get things right because of the exposure difference. Except when eclipsed, the moon is literally in full sunlight so rule of thumb applies, ASA100, f8, 1/125th is the ballpark. But everything else will need much longer exposures which will "burn out" the moon. Of course with digital shots and any decent editor it just takes two shots and a little editing to combine them.

No. VA was cloudy and ugly all day yesterday (worse, freezing rain today! which is why I'm home at this hour) but cleared off last night for the entire eclipse. But it was cold out there so I just went out with binoculars a few times to watch the progress. When I was much younger and much braver/more foolish I would have had camera and telescope out there. But I've pictures from back then and there will be lots of them posted all over the 'net if I really want another :)

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:17 am

Keith, you've just been added to the growing list of people I hate. :D

Having learned my lesson about the vastly reduced amount of light during an eclipse, I now wish we could have an encore performance so I could use what I've learned.

Jan, you did a bang-up job for someone who had to ruffle the pages of her manual madly while changing all those settings. The first time I tried the moon and ruffled pages like that, I got either a blank picture or a big, white blob in the middle of it all and absolutely nothing in between.

Barbara

Postby sheldonk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:43 am

Jan,

Where did you get that copy of Aqualung? Off an 8-track tape? It's been a while since I heard that!

Sheldon

Postby nannybear » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:35 am

It was fun and as usual learning more more more....the music? for some reason moon shots always make me think of Jethro Tull? strange huh! but I have it on my computer.....I like those guys. Have a great weekend all! cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Previous

Return to Photography