Lunar eclipse

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 am

sheldonk wrote:Nice shot Mike! What kind of setup did you use? How long was the exposure?

BTW, who was minding the forum while you were outside shooting??? :lol:

Sheldon

Thanks!

I set my camera (Canon 40d) on a tripod and took a couple of quick shots before coming back in for dinner. I used my 100-400mm telephoto lens set to ISO 400, f-stop 10, with a 1 second shutter speed.

All in all I was only outside for about 10 minutes, so the forum was never in any real danger. :wink:

Mike

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:31 am

Yeah, you don't realize how dark the moon gets in the shadow like that - it drops
from something like 1/125 second for the full moon to about 8 seconds in full
shadow. I didn't get any this time (although I did last time). Basically the same
as Sheldon - D70s with the Sigma 70-300 zoom on it (there are two versions of
that lens - I got the macro with the better glass based on what others had said.
Been happy with it).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:32 am

I just compared Mike's photo with mine and saw that one or the other of us rotated the pic 90 degrees. Very probably it's me because I had my camera in portrait orientation and then had to rotate the pictures--or so I thought--to get the moon oriented correctly. Can anyone look at my eclipse picture and tell me if I've spun the moon the wrong way?

Barbara

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:34 am

Barbara:

Your second photo is rotated 90 degrees counter clock-wise. It looks as if the lady in the moon has tipped over. :D

Mike

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:36 am

Sigh. Back to the drawing board...well, Photoshop, actually. Thanks, Mike.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:42 am

You're OK Barbara -- you are on the other side of the country ... :twisted:

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:50 am

Maybe if everyone and everything moved to wherever it is that I am, it would get better.

Barbara

Here is my moon

Postby nannybear » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:09 pm

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7157&alb=0

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7161&alb=0

Both are only about 33 seconds.....

this is the pic I took floating around behind the scenes. I did have to Photoshop the blurred edge but that really is what I saw....kinda of cool and I have a mission now to learn all of my camera's goodies!!!

second show is I figured out how to manipulate keyframes easily.....too cool.....so I had to play....

hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby rkligman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:23 pm

sheldonk wrote:I did shoot some at 1/5 second. Nothing but black!

I assume you opened up the lens and cranked up the ISO right? :D
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby nannybear » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:35 pm

It was hilarious.....I was changing and reading my manual so much I am amazed I actually got a pic!!! I think.....f 4.9 ISO 100 2.8 aperture...I was so guessing and have so much to learn......cheers Jan
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite

Valued Member

A day late and a dollar short

Postby Hemo2 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Jan, I really liked your short shows. Very creative! Must have had aliens controlling the path of the moon though!

Wouldn't you know it. The cloud cover finally cleared up where I live the night "after" the eclipse! I was so bummed I missed it, especially after seeing the great photos others have taken. So I just had to go out tonight and see what I could do with my new lens and I got the below image. Now, if Dec. 21, 2010 would just get here sooner I'll have another shot at it!

Keith
----------------------

DUDE!!!!!!!

Postby nannybear » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:23 pm

Ok what set up do you have and will you coach me on night photography!! What an awesome shot, thank you so much for sharing......

ps it wasn't aliens it was wine.... :lol: but I am going to do a tutorial cause I found a really cool thing. Maybe everyone already knows this but I didn't and it makes things so easy to move around....sorry if I am not making any sense!

Hugs Jan

Re: DUDE!!!!!!!

Postby rkligman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:16 pm

nannybear wrote:Ok what set up do you have and will you coach me on night photography!! What an awesome shot, thank you so much for sharing......

ps it wasn't aliens it was wine.... :lol: but I am going to do a tutorial cause I found a really cool thing. Maybe everyone already knows this but I didn't and it makes things so easy to move around....sorry if I am not making any sense!

Hugs Jan

I'm reasonably sure that part of the reason it's so clear is because of where he lives, South Dakota. Never been there but I'm thinking it's nothing like trying to shoot through the city lights of San Diego.

Georgous picture BTW.
Rick Insane Diego...

Valued Member

Postby Hemo2 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:46 pm

Rick, it was definately a crystal clear night. The cold air seems to make things clearer too. I took the photo in my driveway in town, but you're correct, the ambient light is nothing like the light from a big city. It was fairly dark, but I had extended the lens shade on the lens to help reduce what light there was.

Jan, I'm not sure I'm the proper one to coach you since this was my first good photo of the moon! :) Basically with the moon being pretty much full and bright like this, you expose for it just like you do for a daylight shot. Basically it is a daylight photo since it is direct sunlight hitting the moon. I shot this photo at ISO400, F13, 1/250th. I was using my Canon 40D DSLR I got last fall and my new Canon 400 F5.6L lens with a Canon 1.4X teleconverter. I shot it mounted on a tripod using a shutter release cable. Also, with the 40D, you can lock up the mirror so I had done that too to reduce vibrations when taking the photo. I used the 'LiveView' feature of the 40D to view the shot on the LCD screen of the camera and then pressed the zoom key to zoom in to 10x on the screen. Having the image magnified like that makes it easier to manually focus. I took multiple photos too using different settings and also adjusting the focus just in case my eyesight wasn't working well to see if it was in crsip focus. (With this level magnification, I barely could touch the manual focus ring and it would significantly alter the focus.) I was a little suprised at how much 'bouncing' of the image there was with this setup, which is all the more reason to lock up the mirror and use a cable release on a tripod. I took the photo in RAW format and processed it in Bibble Pro. I made some adjustments to the contrast, sharpening, and black point on the histogram. The post processing in Bibble really helped make the picture a lot better in my opinion, but I'm strictly an amateur/hobbyist photographer, so a pro might laugh at what I did!

All in all, I have to say I'm pleased with my first real attempt at photographing the moon, but honestly, some of the photos I've seen on the internet just blow me away when compared to mine and I really enjoy viewing the photos of others and learning all I can!

Keith

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:31 am

Now that's a nice shot !! Amazing what you can do with clear air, a tripod and a few
dollars worth of glass :D (well, quite a few actually ... ) The eclipse shot would
have actually been very difficult with that long a lens without any tracking on it - the
moon gets MUCH darker when in the shadow and you would have been down in the
seconds range instead of 1/250 for a shutter speed.

Very impressive !

mikey

PreviousNext

Return to Photography